Sign in to follow this  
EvilVegan

Is this going to bow? DIY/Plywood build. Glass recommendations?

7 posts in this topic

This is a big image...

Anyway, it's ~81 Lx31 Hx35 D.  I'm not going to fill it up all the way, I just want the water line above the glass (so roughly 81x31x31 water volume, ~335 gallons).

the inside is plywood, the outside is lined with 2x4s.  This is going to be in-wall with the tank in a climate controlled garage, so the outside doesn't have to be pretty.  

I'm concerned with bowing, but I think I may have overbuilt it. 

Also, what thickness of glass do I need for a 35" deep tank?  The glass panel is 76x28, viewing area is 72x24 (2" lip).wUizPUT.jpg

whoa, just called the glass company, nevermind!  Gonna redesign this.

Follow up question:  How deep is too deep for goldfish? I might aim for 24 inches with an 72x18 inch viewing area.

I'd be going with half inch thick glass at a minimum. Unless you can actually engineer this and run the calcs on the materials capacity for the pressure as it increases in height, going major overkill is your best bet and quite frankly even then it's a risk.

For goldfish, the shallower the better as long as the water covers the fish.  Also, the shallower the water the less outward pressure on the sides.  I find my adult fish do best in ponds that are 1 foot to 18" deep.  The longer the tank the greater the bowing -- the reason large aquariums have cross bars.  

Go to uarujoey for advice on safety.  You can buy

If you shop craigslist you may find huge aquariums for very good prices.  People spend thousands of dollars for these, then find out how much maintenance they have to do and sell them for hundreds of dollars.

Alright, my new build is only 28 inches tall, with an 18 inch viewing panel starting a few inches up, so I'll probably keep the water level at about 22 inches (with an inch or two of sand).

This only needs 3/8 inch glass, which is much more manageable.

And I think I can make it from 6 piece of plywood without too much of an issue.1jCSJnT.jpg

Good luck with the design! We will be excited to see it in progress for sure.

From the sounds of things you may just want to set a large aquarium on the ground.