Kokos Goldfish Forum
fishnoob

not sure where else to ask... moving countries with fish?

is there any way i can safely take my fish with me if i were to move to australia, the 24 hour flight and all that? also do fish need.... passports? or something similar?

It would be very hard and expensive due to Australias strict quarantine and custom laws unfortunately

but not impossible?

also.. how expensive? 50€? 100€? 5000€?

Im not sure exactly to ne honest. Im pretty sure the fish have to stay in official qt for 1 or 2 months. When i get home from work I can see what I can find out.

It is very hard to get animal products into Australia thiugh so live animals can be even harder.

ok thank you

i read that i'm only allowed to keep them in plastic bags during the flight, how is that going to work for such a long time?

Fish are routinely shipped with 1-2 day shipping... just make sure to fast the fish a few days before you go. How many fish and how big are they?

atm just my one fancy about 7cm total length i think? he'll probably grow till then. i might get 2 more before i move. what about the temp and oxygen and waste?

Fish are shipped in plastic bags and are frequently in there for more than 24 hours. I am not sure about the oxygen supply buy waste is kept to a minimum by not feeding for at least 3 days ahead of time, so they don't poop in the bag. I would certainly NOT buy any more fish before moving.

This was all i could find, and its about dogs and cats

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs

Id be more worried about getting them into the country than the trip itself. I have a lfd that imported some fish from Singapore so Ill ask how the process works for that

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2015C00959

If im understanding this list correctly you don't need a permit to import goldfish

www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/wildlife-trade/exotics/exotic-fish-trade

Here is some other info I found. Its about importimg fish.

Id definitely keep to the one fish to make it easier.

It depends on which country you're coming from. Ideally you ship them to yourself or another person in country, because packing them as air cargo when you're flying can be stressful. Australia has strict quarantine for a or of species but I'm not sure if fish are exempt or have different rules. I know when we tried to move with pets to the UK it was essentially impossible because of the length of quarantine, it would have been cruel to the animals. But fish are a bit different.

You should consider taking your fish to Australia impossible.  Plan to find them a new home before you leave and get some new fish when you get there.

what i found was a procedure of examination and 21 days of qt that would cost me about 2000$ per fish. also they note that if something about the fish doesnt fit their criteria it can be "destroyed", as they put it.

the thing about not getting more fish is that i wont move for at least 1.5 to 2 years so im not too sure how happy my fish will be all alone for that long. used to keep him with others but they died because i had no idea what i was doing... :/

You can get another fish.  Just plan ahead to have another home for them when you leave.

that is an option huh... *sigh*

I agree with shakaho. 1.5-2 years is a while. Things may change and maybe you won't even end up going. But at $2000 per fish and the possibility of them being destroyed anyway, I'd plan to rehome for sure. I'm attached to my fish but not $2000 per fish attached...

i'm assuming the prices i found were aus$, so theyd be about 500€ per fish if i'm not mistaken. which for a pet might seem a lot, but for me, as a way of having some "friends" with me when leaving everyone else in my life behind, worth it. so money isn't much of an issue, i'll just keep saving till i have enough.

what i'm worried about is really just the transport (even if it is safe it sure is stressful) and the qt procedure. i will have to find out more about that, how high the chances of fish actually being destroyed are, if there are ways to make sure they aren't etc.

I think the idea that they could possibly be destroyed would be enough to scare me off doing it. Id hate for that to happen to my babies!

I wonder if there is an email address or something you can contact to find out more about the exact procedure. Ill try to see what I can find

i know the thought of them being destroyed is scary... i will make a list of possible scenarios that could lead to it and check if i can avoid all of those

I think the idea that they could possibly be destroyed would be enough to scare me off doing it. Id hate for that to happen to my babies!

This is how I feel.  :(  "Destroyed" just isn't a pleasant thought.  

And even $500 USD is a lot for one fish.  

This is how I feel.   :(  "Destroyed" just isn't a pleasant thought.  

And even $500 USD is a lot for one fish.  

For $500 I would get myself a Nice goldfish. :)

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2015C00959

If im understanding this list correctly you don't need a permit to import goldfish

www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/wildlife-trade/exotics/exotic-fish-trade

Here is some other info I found. Its about importimg fish.

Id definitely keep to the one fish to make it easier.

You'd have to go through a transhipper, I think. They're the ones with import licenses and quarantine facilities. I know Jodi the betta was one, but not sure if she still is.

i'm assuming the prices i found were aus$, so theyd be about 500€ per fish if i'm not mistaken. which for a pet might seem a lot, but for me, as a way of having some "friends" with me when leaving everyone else in my life behind, worth it. so money isn't much of an issue, i'll just keep saving till i have enough.

what i'm worried about is really just the transport (even if it is safe it sure is stressful) and the qt procedure. i will have to find out more about that, how high the chances of fish actually being destroyed are, if there are ways to make sure they aren't etc.

You're a bit off. $2000AUD is closer to 1400€.