fishstiks

adding Prazi......new baby fry?

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So, much to my surprise, my fancy goldies have been spawning for the last few weeks.  We first noticed them chasing about 3 or so weeks ago, not realizing what it was (I am very new to the world of goldies) and a few days later, we saw baby fry in the tank.  I'm pretty sure nature took its course there.  A week later, they spawned again.  This time, realizing what this was, I was able to salvage some of the eggs before they all got eaten.  I currently have 7 fry that are now a little over a week old (apx 9-10 days old).  They are growing, eating well, and have started to develop tails. 

I have been reading a lot on goldfish fry, and I keep reading about worming for flukes.  I have Prazi, which I use during QT for new fish.  How old do the fry need to be before I can add Prazi to their water?

Also, at what point are the fry old enough to go into a tank with a higher water level and filter?  I currently have them in a 5.5 gallon tank filled only about 2 inches high with water, an airstone and sponge and a little bio-media (when in a pinch, lol).  I do a 95% water change every other day.  So far, they seem to be doing well, I'm just not sure when they will be strong enough go in a tank with a cycled filter.  I have an empty 20 long that I was thinking of putting them into when they get big enough to grow out until they are old enough to rehome and/or add to my show tank. 

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of breeding. Praziquantel is a wonderful product and you will not go wrong by using it. Depth is not a factor . I raise mine in ponds of 80 cm . Important is water quality which means room to grow. You have almost zero baby and the very best conditions to produce excellent results. (Normally spawn is hundreds to thousands) . Live food such as artemia fresh hatched can give super results. Regards , Michael

Thanks Michael, I imagine I was pretty lucky to find the few eggs I did considering I have 6 fat water piggies. Lol

I'm hoping they will be ok in my 5.5 for a good few more weeks at least and I will keep up with water changes and start adding Prazi. I ordered some brine shrimp eggs for them which should be here any day, and hey are doing well with the sprigs of live plants and hikari first bites.

If all goes well, I will add updates with growth and the pics in the near future. ????

That is great to hear. Please note that fry can not eat the shrimp eggs direct as. they have a shell. So must be hatched and then fry can eat them. Also there is a "decapsulated" egg that they can eat. I use both. And am sure that other members will provide more assist

Congratulations!!!!

Hey guys, just wanted to update my thread as it's been a while.

Of my 11 saved eggs, I am down to 1 baby left.  He/she is now 6 or so weeks old, and is doing great!  I have moved him to a breeder box in the main tank, as I had to use his grow up tank as an emergency hospital tank, lol

He seems to be doing fabulous in the breeder box, but I am worried he needs more swimming space.  Considering getting one of those mesh breeder boxes as they are larger than my current plastic one................or.............just letting him free in the tank and see how he does.

He is currently 1 inch long tip to tip, and is starting to develop color (black) on his tail and fins.  Excited to see how he colors up.

I am worried my fish may eat him, as he is still "snack size", but I think he is bigger than most of their mouths, so maybe he will be ok?

How soon do people release the babies back into the main tank?

Pic below was taken apx 10 days ago.  He's a fun little booger, I am so glad he has survived me :-)

[/url]">http://6EC2F105-098F-472D-8CA3-3BDA3256FB55_zps

Oh he's super cute!!

I usually wait until I'm sure the other fish can't eat any small fish I add to a tank but if you have lots of places for him to hide and get away from the bigger fish you should be ok.  

What size tank is your main tank, how many other fish and how big are they (not including the tail)?