Kokos Goldfish Forum
muffluvin

New fish from QT harassing our old fish

So we transfered Booger (tiger ranchu) from the QT to pur main tank. Now he is incessantly chasing our other fish Val (red ryukin) and Elton John (yellow tomasaba). I see him nipping on their bodies and fin. He even damaged Val's caudal fin. Now, I am out of idea on what to do with this fish. I thought I would have an easy time once I get him out of his QT.

I am thinking of putting him back in the QT if this behavior still persists tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Here are links to a couple of videos I shot showing said behavior

I hate Tapatalk

I watched the whole video and saw normal "get acquainted" following, no nipping.  (I'm not saying he hasn't nipped, just that it didn't appear to happen in the video.)  Usually this behavior stops within an hour or two.  If it persists, a tank divider will allow him to meet the other guys without annoying them.

I agree with Sharon.

This is the same behavior I see time and time again when for one reason or another I rotate my fish around.

It even happens when an older fish was in QT for a few weeks and put back into the original tank, and some of the former tank mates may "hassle" the "new" fish for a little while.

Some nipping as you described may occur, and a tear in a fin is unfortunately not unusual. 

At the most I have seen this going on for a couple days, but perhaps you should follow the advice to use a temporary divider, so the fish can see and smell each other without getting too pushy. :)

He's just being a booger.  :tomuch:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I had this same problem with my first chu when I put him in the main tank.  He followed/harassed a couple fish incessantly.  Fortunately, they were much faster swimmers than him and could outswim him with the swish of their long tails.  :teehee  Yours look to have that advantage too.

How are they doing today?  :idont

I woke up.this morning to him harassing both fish. Stayed awake 'til 3am watching them and hoped for the best when.I went to bed. Both ryukins have nipped and split caudal fins now. It's kinda annoying

So on Sunday, I put a basket inside the tank to sort of isolate him from the other fish. Kept him for a day and a half there. Last night decided to put him back with the other fish, watched them for 3 hours and there were only two nipping incident do I decided to keep them together. About an hour ago, got a call from the wifey, telling booger acts like a rabid dog and was chasing nipping both fish once again. Oh ,my, first world problems :)

Could be he's kinda frisky . .. . :ehh

Could be he's kinda frisky . .. . :ehh

Thats what I was thinking!

Here they are pretending to like each other during meal time.

af1052c6e00fc332de732e8a48d6c87d.jpg

A couple of youtube videos.

All I see is a boy fish that is very very happy to be with some girls, if you know what I mean :ehh:lol3

Really. The original owner told these fish were males lol

Well I can say Mr. Yellow is a Girl. Front fins are very thin and I dont see the breeding stars like on your Ranchu :)

Oh my, thanks for clearing that up. Guess the Mrs was right when she told they were probably girls since Booger the ranchu keeps getting under their skirt. Lol

Just an update. Booger the ranchu stopped chasing and nipping the other guys. Now there is peace and harmony in my tank. They now completely ignore each other. Thanks for the help guys.

Great to hear everything is peaceful again!