teethguy222

Customizing HOB marineland filter

10 posts in this topic

Hey all, I'm finally going to make the leap to STOP using filter cartridges on my marineland 350! A waste of money and much more trash. I got inspired because I saw some Fluval C3 pouches on clearance. Basically they're just little pouches with carbon and the white stuff that removes ammonia in them. I figure this is a step in the right direction towards making my own filter mediums.  :thumbup2:

Anyway, I bought some marineland (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002565PW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and I'm planning on cutting it up and wrapping it around the pouches to place into the slots where the cartridges normally go. Has anyone tried this before? I'm wondering if it will hold where it's supposed to hold even if there isn't the rigid thing to hold everything in place. Another concern is whether or not the water will properly flow through my medium, and not just flow over it. Tips?

Also, I ran into these on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YHSE8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER), and this looks like marineland's own way of helping people get away from the single use cartridges. Has anyone used them before? Is it necessary?

Does anyone else have genius ideas they'd like to share? Thanks! 

I have Penguin 350 filter's and I use Fluval Biomax ceramic ring's and Swiss Tropical poret filter foam 30 PPI Blue. This combination does a fantastic job on my 125 and 55.

Personally I'd ditch the Fluval carbon pouches. Carbon isn't needed for routine care of GF and a properly cycled filter won't need the ammonia removal...

Having said that, I use the filter floss you linked and the marineland emperor filters come with the filter cartridges like you linked. I'd put the filter floss towards the back of the filter. I'd place ceramic rings or bioballs in the gray filter cartridge. Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Biomax-Bio-Rings-ounces/dp/B000HHSG5M/ref=sxts_k2p_hero1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2668835602&pf_rd_r=ZCXXWXNZK50R488X4YSG&pd_rd_wg=ThfhK&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=OmZy4&pf_rd_i=fluval+biomax&pd_rd_r=ZH7Z0C1DJJZ3WKB6WTY1&ie=UTF8&qid=1478296699&sr=1

Thanks for both your replies. I've heard good things about the biomax rings. I'm just wondering if those are necessary since marinelands already have the biowheel? Aren't they supposed to do the same thing? Harbor the good bacteria? 

And when you say your place the rings/balls in the gray filter cartridge, is that cartridge really wide enough to fit those things inside?

I think the biomax rings have a lot more surface area/harbor more beneficial bacteria than the biowheel.  Plus I like having some biomax so if I set up a QT I can use some if needed.  I have no scientific evidence the biomax has more surface area though so :idont  :rofl

The cartridges I had were wide enough for the biomax.  :D

What about Matrix, by Seachem? Has anyone used that? It seems to have favorable reviews, even to biomax. And it looks like it would also fit in those cartridges as well.

Don't use matrix unless you're having issues in the tank controlling parameters. You want your filtration to be primarily mechanical (removing or trapping the physical waste) and biological (high surface area beneficial bacterial colonies that process the waste), not chemical. I'd use a good sponge or filter floss for mechanical and the bio rings or igneous rock for biological. Only use the chemical in a limited fashion when you absolutely have to, because it is harder to stabilize and control and can have drawbacks for the overall water conditions in the tank (stripping too much of certain trace minerals, co2, softening it, etc).

Just reviving this old thread b/c I had some bad luck and news recently =( So I was using the floss and biomax rings for a while, but I felt like it wasn't doing a good job. I would occassionally put in another marineland cartridge in lieu of the floss, but kept the biomax in there. I had this set up for a few months and it seemed like it worked OK. However, my fish got sick very quickly and suddenly and have now passed... T_T 

From my past readings online, I thought that the marineland floss plus biomax would be a good combination. Maybe I didn't do it right, I could not fit a lot of biomax in the marineland DIY cartridges (maybe only about 12-14 rings per cartridge (so x2). I've heard of people keeping the setup for months at a time, but to be honest, it didn't seem like it was doing as good a job as before. Can someone describe to me how they are using these products successfully? 

Thanks

IM sorry for your loss. I have been using my Fluval Bio Max Ceramic rings and blue filter foam from Swiss Tropical for year's with great result's!!! I put my Fluval Bio Max  in drawstring pouches. It allows me to put a lot in them. Hope this helps.

Edited by DawnMichele

I don't think the filter was the problem. I think from reading your thread about your fish, that they where sick from being over crowded. A filter can only do so much work and if the tank is over crowded then the water will go sour fast.