Kokos Goldfish Forum
misssmountain

Can my 60g go 10 days without a water change due to vacation?

I am going home for the holidays (hooray!) and my fish will potentially have to go 10 days without a water change!

I will be leaving early on a Monday morning, and returning late on a Wednesday evening the following week. So I will change the water on Sunday, and then Thursday morning when I return, making it 10 full days in between.

I do plan on having someone pop in a few times to feed them and check on them and make sure everything is running properly (it will most likely be an old roommate, who is very pet-savvy and familiar with feeding them, so I don't fear they will be grossly overfed).

Any advice? I'm not sure there's a way around this, as the only other person I know with a fish tank will be coming with me! Haha. 

It is a 60 gallon, been running for two years, 1 canister and 1 HOB filter, and 3 fish (one is pretty large, one is more of a medium-large and one is pretty small). Obviously I would clean the filters the Sunday before I leave.

I don't see why not—unless, say, you have crazy water parameters and your nitrates are through the roof every week. If that's not the case, then so long as the fish are fed sparingly they should be fine. I've gone longer than 10 days before.

To prevent overfeeding, you can simply measure out your food beforehand and put it into marked ziplock bags (so, if you decided to only do three feedings, you'd have three bags with different days of the week labelled on them). Provided your fish sitter doesn't have access to the containers, they can't feed more than what you've stated.  

Edited by dan in aus

I agree with Dan.  As long as your water parameters are normally good, I don't see a problem.  I also leave my food pre-portioned out in snack sized ziploc bags when I go on vacation so it takes the guess work out for the person who will be feeding.  They like knowing they can't "mess something up." 

I've got a 72 with 5 medium sized goldfish.  While I normally do a few water changes weekly, I decided to experiment because I never get a nitrate reading -- have only seen it get to 5 ppm less than 5 times in the few years that I've tested regularly.  I went 2 weeks without a water change... tested and it was fine, and then I let it go 3 weeks and finally saw a 5-10 nitrate reading.  I was closely monitoring, feeding normally, and they were acting fine the whole time.  While I understand that nitrates are only a single test, and I'm sure there were other organic materials building up, I wanted to see specifically how my ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels would be affected.  I still do a few water changes weekly, but it's nice to know they could go a while if I ever was gone for 2-3 weeks.

Sounds great! My water levels are usually pretty consistent, and I have some pothos plants rooted in the tank which I think are supposed to help with nitrates too. I didn't even consider that since they will be fed less than normal, they of course won't be putting as much waste out -- thanks for reminding me!