Sign in to follow this  
goldfishfanforever

Annoyed with reoccurring algae/diatoms

7 posts in this topic

So I have had my 32 gallon goldfish tank set up for a couple of years and roughly 6 months ago I switched to a canister filter to keep up with the goldfish waste and it is doing a good job but the algae/diatoms are going crazy. After scrubbing all the tank walls and doing an 80-90% water change a few days later there is already algae/diatoms everywhere. I feed my fish every few days due to this to try and reduce nutrients in the water as all my plants and rocks are getting covered as well and I dont have a clue why this is happening as the tank is in a dark area. Any help would be appreciated :)

How many fish do you have in this tank?

How much nitrate do you read before a water change?

How many fish do you have in this tank?

How much nitrate do you read before a water change?

I have 2 small telescope goldfish and have ended up with 10 white cloud mountain minnows, 2 zebra Danios and a weather loach. All but the goldfish I would like to move somewhere else however I have nowhere to move them and the fish had nowhere to go which is why I took them in off people. I have just been so busy lately with schoolwork that I haven't had time to test the nitrates or any of the water parameters but next week's water change I will test them for sure :)

I've noticed that when my filter media gets super gross looking (even if I don't see an impact on water) that the diatoms start running rampant in my main tank. This ONLY happens in my main tank where there's lots of sponges and stuff. If I clean the gunk off the sponges along with cleaning the diatoms off the tank, I noticed they stay gone quite a while. If I only clean the diatoms, they'll be back within a day or two.

Edited by mjfromga

I've noticed that when my filter media gets super gross looking (even if I don't see an impact on water) that the diatoms start running rampant in my main tank. This ONLY happens in my main tank where there's lots of sponges and stuff. If I clean the gunk off the sponges along with cleaning the diatoms off the tank, I noticed they stay gone quite a while. If I only clean the diatoms, they'll be back within a day or two.

I only have sponges and biomedia in my canister and am also running two sponge filters so it could help if I clean them each week then. Thanks for the advice :)

That's quite heavily stocked. More water changes would probably help. Also land plants with their roots submerged would help use up whatever the algae is using, e.g nitrates.

Edited by hannah