Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SpartyGalRN

Adequate filtration

Hi everyone!

I apologize if this question has been asked a zillion times :doh11: , but I have read other posts and still have a question.

As some of you know, I recently bought a 65G tank for my 4 bubble eye goldfish. I have been looking at canister filters for a while. I'm looking at taking my old 28G set-up to my LFS for credit and they have Fluval canister filters. I thought it may be a good time to upgrade. Question is, what size do I need? Will it be too much flow for my fish, who are poor swimmers? I'm thinking about keeping the AC50 HOB as well since it is A LOT quieter than my AC70 and the fish do better with the flow from the output.

What do you guys think? Any additional info needed let me know!

Thanks!

I would get the Fluval 406. It does something like 380 gallons per hour in turnover. You have your HOB too for any added filtration then.

As for the flow, well, it might be too much if your fish are poor swimmers, but then it might not be. Once you get your canister you'll find out for sure. Most Fluvals can be turned down (they have a flow valve). If you don't like the idea of turning the filter down, you can always position the outlet so it produces less flow (i.e. pointing it at the glass instead). A spray bar attachment is great for this (although you have to purchase it separately if you get a Fluval).

Hope this helps. :)

Sent using Tapatalk

Not an expert by any means... but I've heard of people just using AC110 HOB filters for large tanks like yours. Maybe they will also be quiet enough to your liking? Also, since the water falls onto the surface, it may not create as much turbulence for your fish. Just a thought! 

I have 2 Fluval 405 which I bought used and which have performed flawlessly. Recently I purchased a sunsun canister which flows about the same, has a built in UV, and came with skimmer and spray bar attachments for one third the price. If it lasts a few years I will imagine it is the better value.