• * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) < 20ppm
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If p ossible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.3
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwater master test kit
  • * Water temperature? 72F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55g 7.5 years
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 Tetra whispers EX70 at 320gph each and one internal top fin 40 running at 170gph - 810gph on 3 filters total for a 55g
  •  
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Twice weekly 85%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today 100% *Qt tank*
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? main tank 5 between 3 and 6" BODY length, all of them single tails so less body mass
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime as standard
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2-4 times daily a variety of Omega One small sinking goldfish pellets, sushi nori seaweed, frozen foods such as blood worms or fresh frozen chopped fish or shrimp, steamed vegetables like cucumber, zucchini, kale, romaine lettuce
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? not in many years
  • * Any medications added to the tank? not to main tank. 

QT as follows

• * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi, salt, metro meds during the years of her life. Can't recall all the times.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Weird bloody red spots all over her body, concentrated near her head

• * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Nope

So I have had Hugo for a very long time. She is my oldest fish and about 8 years old. About three months ago she went through a bout of dropsy but with QT and meds she recovered.

But ever since the she is having these weird red bloody spots on her body, mainly focused towards the front half of her.

She behaves perfectly fine. I put her in a 10g QT with 0.3% salt and double prazi and regular melafix but she still is having these weird spots. Her QT tank is completely bare except for the filter. None of the other fish that were with her in the main tank are displaying any of these weird spots.

I just don't know what to do. She is active and hungry and hates the tiny QT tank since she is about 11" total and just going in circles back and forth in there like a tiger in a tiny cage.

I got a variety of meds at hand but I don't know what this is. Pics below. The spots are very superficial, like they are just below the slime coat. She has had these for a month now. Initially I thought they might perhaps be bruises from breeding frenzies or similar, but now being isolates in a bare tank it makes no sense.

I got metronidazole, kanaplex, amoxicillin, melafix, and salt and epsom salt available right now. She was treated with a combo of metro and kana during the dropsy bout last time as mentioned above. 

Pics:

DSC_0591_zpsbhuaklf8.jpg

DSC_0586_zpsnsknfcpe.jpg

DSC_0593_zps1s2aaztd.jpg

And in this one I circled the red spots visible in the picture

DSC_0600R_zpsfykrthig.jpg

Bumpedibump?

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Hope your Goldfish feels better.

Hun I would like you to try to give him Silver baths for 2 weeks....

You can find this on Amazon

Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/BEST-Nano-Colloidal-Silver-Supplement/dp/B00OVQENRU/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1477257552&sr=1-1&keywords=colloidal+silver+100ppm

Then in a QT or bowl of 2 gallons of tank water, place 2-3 drops in the water and let the fish sit for atleast 3-4 mins. then place fish back to the main tank.

Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/BEST-Nano-Colloidal-Silver-Supplement/dp/B00OVQENRU/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1477257552&sr=1-1&keywords=colloidal+silver+100ppm

Then in a QT or bowl of 2 gallons of tank water, place 2-3 drops in the water and let the fish sit for atleast 3-4 mins. then place fish back to the main tank.

Thanks dear!

But just so I understand, what is this actually good for and what does it do? Simply so I understand the correlations between assumed problem and suggested treatment!

Is this supposed to happen daily for 2 weeks?

Something like this

Thanks dear!

But just so I understand, what is this actually good for and what does it do? Simply so I understand the correlations between assumed problem and suggested treatment!

Is this supposed to happen daily for 2 weeks?

silver is a natural antibiotic hun. It can help clear out any bad guys from the tank or fish. The only thing it can do if at high levels and with salt is make the fish go silver or white. I use this in my Molly tank about once a month :)

Yes I would like you to do it daily hun :) if you can :)

Update so far: I haven't gotten around to buying silver yet, but the extended .3% salt bath with an additional salt dip has gotten rid of the red spots. She is still in QT, now without salt, checking to see if they return. :)

How are we doing?

The spots actually returned within 4-5 days after removing the salt. They are mainly located around her gills and head/"neck" area as well as the very base of her pectoral fins. Kind of what you'd consider to be the armpit in mammals, if you were to compare.

It just still gets me how normal she acts. She is very active and hungry and everything else you expect from a healthy goldfish. But these slightly rough looking, pinhead sized, blood red sore spots just aren't normal. And again, none of the other  two dozen fish has any problems. All my equipment is shared between the tanks because I simply do not have the means to have six different 25' garden hoses, gravel vacs, food containers, water sources etc etc to use on all my tanks.

This is just so mind boggling....

I think the next thing I will try - as I have not gotten silver yet - is a PP bath.

I also suggest the silver.  Koko's silver baths have helped a number of fish with surface lesions that didn't respond to fluke treatment and salt.  Silver appears to have both antibacterial and anti inflammatory activity.

If the silver doesn't work, we can try antibiotics.