Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
titch

Help! I'm not sure what I'm doing...

You should try metronidazole for the spots if they keep returning.  I don't know what you might find locally. 

Vitamin Grocer UK has two products containing this: https://www.vitamingrocer.co.uk/Aquarium-Pharmaceuticals-General-Cure-Powder-p/304684.htm  and https://www.vitamingrocer.co.uk/Metro-Plus-3-4-oz-p/306556.htm.  These ship from the US, so they don't come quickly. 

Alternatively, you could get a prescription for metronidazole from a veterinarian.

Thanks Sharon - I'll do some digging.

Out of interest...is there much difference between human antibiotics and fishy antibiotics? I'm thinking in general but also specifically about Erythromycin, Doxycycline & Lymecycline.

You should try metronidazole for the spots if they keep returning.  I don't know what you might find locally. 

How about Waterlife's Octozin? Having searched the forums, I see this has been used in place of Metro before.

Can this be used in my case?

Octocin treats parasitic protozoa, not bacteria.  If the spots come from such parasites rather than bacteria (and they may), it would work.

The same antibiotic prepared for humans and fish may differ in form.  People more often take pills and fish get powders dissolved in the water.  If you can determine the amount of the antibiotic in a pill and calculate how much water that treats, you can use it.

Hi Sharon - could you let me know how I should treat with metronidazole please? Just want to get an idea of the process (main tank or QT, required water changes, dosage, pack size required, dose the water or food, etc). Provided I can get some that is...  :hmm

There's a few images below of Winston's tail fin. I think it looks a little bit better. Belly is much the same.

IMG_2696_zps2vocavnb.jpg

IMG_2698_zpsns8khv2i.jpg

IMG_2688_zpskwfq30fc.jpg

IMG_2686_zps0wbe3vcy.jpg

Continuous bath for at least 2 weeks in the QT.  Water changes as you have done them. I can't tell how you dose until you have the product.

OK, thanks.

Likely to order the Hikari Metro Plus from VitaminGrocerUK - will 1 pack be enough (3.4oz / 97g) for 2 weeks? I'm guessing not based on the directions on the website... (he's in a 40 litre container)

Directions
As A Bath: As a bath treatment for external metronidazole-susceptible, microbial diseases of marine and freshwater aquarium and pond fishes (e.g. hole-in-the-head and lateral line), use 1 capful (~9.7g) per 10 gallons of water. A partial or complete water change should be made just prior to beginning treatment and every 24 hours thereafter, followed by re-treatment. Any water used should first be conditioned with ULTIMATE or a combination of Liquid Buffered ClorAm-X and Stress-X to remove ammonia, chlorine and chloramines. Repeat the treatment every 24 hours for 5 to 7 days or until mortalities cease or healing of leasions occurs. If improvement is not noted within three (3) days, discontinue treatment and consider other therapy.

Also, do you recommend me buy anything else to keep in stock - shipping is free if I spend over £20, so figure if there's something you think I ought to have in my arsenal that proves tricky to get in the UK, I may as well order it at the same time.

Thanks again.

It looks like you want two bottles of Metro Plus.  We use Metro more than any other antibiotic, so you should have some on hand.  Compare the price of Prazi-pro and Fluke Solve to see if you should get that.  Also compare the API and Hikari Furan 2 products and get the most economical.   Triple Sulfa complements Metro to treat a wide variety of bacteria.

I'll check for other suggestions.

I'll check for other suggestions.

Is there anything else I should order Sharon? 

Winston's 2nd round of FS finishes tomorrow. Do you want me to keep him in QT or can he go back with his buddies?

His belly has a small red patch (smaller than in post #74) and his fins are looking a lot whiter (still some red present though).

I haven't received any suggestions.  You could get methylene blue and malachite green, both of which some people use. 

Until you get the medication, you can put him back in the main tank.

Woop!! Thanks Sharon. I think they've missed one-another.  :goldfish:

Do to have something for gram negative coverage available? I like Kanaplex/Kanamycin, Oxytetracycline, and Furan-2 for various applications. Acriflavine is also my favorite parasite/fungal/heavy duty antiseptic treatment when meth blue isn't strong enough. I prefer it to malachite green and copper treatments, the latter of which are unsafe for goldfish.

I'd probably consider ordering from American Aquarium Products instead, they ship to the U.K. for a price. That selection isn't great, but I'd probably get the General Cure, Furan-2, Prazipro, and maybe the Tetracycline if my tanks didn't run too alkaline.

Those are all available from Vitamin Grocer UK.  

Those are all available from Vitamin Grocer UK.

Yes, I saw that and that's why I recommended them, but what I am saying is that for the cost and selection I'd consider using a different company that has a much better med selection to get the best possible treatments, if the OP is already going through the time and hassle of importing. The stock and selection on Vitamij Grocer was pretty poor, but of the things they offer the ones I recommended would be my personal choice. They would not, however, be the ones I'd be personally inclined to purchase - I'd go to a different site instead.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thank you both for the suggestions.

I'm going to go ahead and order from VitaminGrocer.co.uk - purely for the fact that AAP want nearly $40 to ship  :yikes  and I really REALLY don't have that kind of money to spare (you'll see why below...).

The plan is;

2 x Hikari Metro Plus 

1 x API Furan 2

1 x API Triple Sulfa

And anything else you think is a must

My tank runs at 7.6ph - is Tetracycline useful at this PH?

I can't see Kanaplex/Kanamycin or Accriflavine - are there alternatives on VG I can order?

Anyhoo.... I'd just finished my WC yesterday and was packing all my bits & bobs away and happened to open the cupboard where my external filter sits (I have it sat in a pyrex dish to catch any drips/leaks) and it's a good job I did.

The dish had just started to overflow - I hadn't noticed the water level dropping  :thud

Cue mad dashing around for towels, unplugging of filter and general panic!!!

So...Santa has come very early and today I have ordered a Fluval FX6 with next day delivery, booked tomorrow off work and plan on spending the day setting it up.

I don't really have the money to spare but I know my family are all giving me FX6 donations for Christmas, so I can at least pay the credit card off pretty soon. Not good timing though.

Will the filter media be OK until tomorrow? I've kept it in some tank water hoping I could just pop it straight into the FX6 to help things along.

Anyone?

As long as you keep it wet in tank water the fliter floss should be good hun :)

Thanks Koko.

Anything I should add to my VitaminGrocer UK shopping list?

Thanks Koko.

Anything I should add to my VitaminGrocer UK shopping list?

That would be a Sharon or Helen thing hun.. Im not that great with all the meds around the world :o

Ha ha!! That makes 2 of us!

They don't have a whole lot else of use but if you do not have a fluke product on hand I'd add one in - main ingredient should be praziquantel. Fluke-solve seems to be popular in the U.K. but is usually available locally.

AAP usually charges me almost as much shipping and I'm in the US - big insured boxes that comes quickly. I highly recommend them for stocking up a shopping list but I understand if the time isn't ideal now.

Your pH is too high for tetracycline, so nix that from the list.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I'm back with an update... and it's not great...  :ill

Winston's redness is back, along with the sore on his belly and funny looking scales along his side (although this isn't as bad as it has been). His tail looks quite 'lumpy' in places too.

The meds are on their way from Vitamin Grocer (departed export facility in New York on Monday 5th) so I only have salt, silver, Fluke Solve, Myaxcin and Sterazin in the cupboard.

Might silver or salt dips ease it?

I also have slight problem with Dad (fantail) - during the excitement of feeding time the other day, he got knocked into the bogwood and managed to scrape the flesh on his cheek/gill plate. There was a bit of skin hanging off but that's now dropped off leaving an open graze. Will this heal on it's own or do I need to intervene?

Images below...

Tail_zpswsfovjzj.jpg

Head%202_zps8ghlru9u.jpg

Head_zpsbhcyypfe.jpg

Under_zpsycdqn5rh.jpg

Side_zpsxm84k9sy.jpg

Dad_zpsiif3jtpm.jpg

Thank you!! 

I would like you to do a large water change and a continuous silver bath until you get the meds.  I'll ask Koko to tell you how much silver to put in the tank.