Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
titch

Help! I'm not sure what I'm doing...

Do you have access to any antibiotics?

I agree we need to use something else :(

No, no antibiotics to hand I'm afraid. Am I able to get these in the UK without prescription? What should I be looking for?

New images below as promised... he's not looking very good is he?  :cry1

IMG_2584_zpstiywtfpo.jpg

IMG_2589_zpsfeqhm2yy.jpg

Here you can see the lumps & bumps on the leading edges of perctoral, dorsal & tail fins

IMG_2592_zpsqbp15r2m.jpg

IMG_2599_zpsdnaelqin.jpg

Aside from his appearance, he doesn't seem too bad - I haven't caught him bottom sitting as much, he's swimming and feeding well. After reading about it here, I have now added Rapashy Soilent Green to their diet, which they go nuts for!!

You have two choices.  You can go to a veterinarian and get an antibiotic prescribed, or you can try some alternative antibacterial agents.  Read this for some suggestions.  Also do a search for antibacterial treatments for fish/ponds.  Companies try to produce new options.

In the meantime, you can try salt dips.  Do them every other day,  starting with 1% salt, and increasing to 2%, and 3% if the fish goes the full 5 minutes in the previous treatment without tipping over.

Thank you Sharon,

I carried out salt dips on Winston last month, every day for 6 days - he can manage 2% for 5 minutes, but at 3% he was really struggling after a minute. How long should I do these for?

Thank you for the antibiotics link. Sorry if I'm being thick, but what am I treating for? 

Edited by titch

An undefined bacterial infection.  Usually, spots like this originate from fluke infestation when the attachment point of the flukes become infected by bacteria.  Killing the flukes and then treating the wounds with antibacterials usually handles the problem.  He should be better.

Looking back through the thread, it seems like Winston did best right after the salt dips and fluke treatment.  Maybe we didn't get all the flukes, and maybe we have an excess of bacteria in the tank.  He has received all of the continuous medication in the main tank, right?  

External bacterial infections usually do not involve true pathogens, which can only reproduce in/on a host.  Rather they come from free living bacteria that normally grow on organic waste but can infect a wounded fish or one that has a weakened immune system.   Usually these "opportunistic pathogens" create infections only when they have grown to large populations in the tank.  Koko referred to this when she expressed concern about the internal filter and the log, since bacteria could grow in these.

Normally, we treat sick fish in a hospital tank.  We did the fluke treatment in the main tank since the other fish could use it as well.  I want to see what happens to Winston if we remove him from the tank.   IMO something like this makes an ideal hospital tank.  If you put him in a container of this size and give him another week of prazi treatment, perhaps we can tell if the bacterial population of the main tank caused his lesions.

How often do you clean your filters and how do you clean them?

Thanks for taking the time to explain that Sharon, I really appreciate it  :bighug

Yes, he has received the continuous meds in the main tank (except for the 4 minutes a day he has his silver dip).

I clean the filters every week during my water change. For the internal Juwel, I remove the baskets and clean the sponges (a good squeeze and rinse) in water removed from the tank during the water change. For the external Fluval, I empty the water out of the canister and discard, then clean the sponges/media in the same way I do the Juwel sponges, and wipe out any gunk from the canister before putting the media back in.

Am I doing this wrong?!

With regards to a hospital tank, I don't have a spare filter and I'm guessing a filter is a must? I do have an airstone though.

Filter sponges should receive vigorous cleaning. Slap them against the side of the discard water bucket, re-wet and repeat until no more gunk comes out.  Sponges do contain some nitrifiers, but these will grow and metabolize better if the sponge has little debris.  The decay bacteria that live in the gunk use lots of oxygen which the nitrifiers won't get.

I don't use a filter in a hospital tank.  For big or very sick fish, I have two shallow tubs and use the bucket-to-bucket method of 100% daily water changes.  While this wastes medicine, it keeps water quality excellent for even a large mature fish (~ 0.5 kg).  For smaller fish, you can change every other day.  Do use the airstone for circulation.

OK, I'll set this up tomorrow while I'm getting my nitrate free water ready for the water change on Saturday.

So I have this straight in my head...

Main tank - big change on Saturday and leave 'as is' - no FS or salt. Just back to normal routine.

Hospital tank - get a tub ready with Prime'd, nitrate free water ready to put Winston in on Saturday (with airstone). On Saturday get more water ready for 100% change on Sunday change. Sunday get water ready for Monday's WC, etc etc etc

Question - do you want salt in the hospital tank or just FS (weighing it could be fun for such a small volume!!)? Should I do salt dips alongside the FS treatment?

Use 0.3% salt in the hospital tank instead of salt dips.  You can follow the procedure here for raising the concentration gradually.  

I think you could make a concentrated solution of FS and dilute it as needed, if you store the solution refrigerated for a week or so.  Apparently does not stay active in an aqueous solution long-term. 

Filter sponges should receive vigorous cleaning. Slap them against the side of the discard water bucket, re-wet and repeat until no more gunk comes out.  Sponges do contain some nitrifiers, but these will grow and metabolize better if the sponge has little debris.  The decay bacteria that live in the gunk use lots of oxygen which the nitrifiers won't get.

I don't use a filter in a hospital tank.  For big or very sick fish, I have two shallow tubs and use the bucket-to-bucket method of 100% daily water changes.  While this wastes medicine, it keeps water quality excellent for even a large mature fish (~ 0.5 kg).  For smaller fish, you can change every other day.  Do use the airstone for circulation.

I love the bucket to bucket, its a very old way of dealing with sick fish and I believe works better :)

Morning people! Hope you all had a good weekend.

Winston has gone into quarantine and seems quite happy to be in his own little world  :goldfish:

He's up to 0.3% salt and had his first dose of FS yesterday. However, I'm not sure if I've done this right, so wanted to explain how I've calculated it...

He's in a 40 litre container, so 280 litres of water in total over the 7 days.

1g of FS does 250 litres, so 1 / 250 = 0.004g per litre, multiply by 280 litres for 1.12g of FS

I've mixed this into 1 litre of water which is 143ml dose per day. The solution is currently in the fridge.

Please let me know if I've done this wrong?  :huh:

And thanks for the heads-up about the bucket-to-bucket - sooooooo easy!!  :thumb:

Looks good to me.  I get so happy when people can calculate dosage, so I don't have to worry about making a calculation error.   :)  

Do make sure you shake vigorously before measuring the dose.  Prazi doesn't dissolve well at all.

Phew!!!  :happydance

Will do. Thanks Sharon.

I'll keep you posted.

I can't believe I'm typing this.... but LOOK!!! 3 days in and his nasty horrible belly sore has gone  :happydance

His head has cleared up, the funny raised scales on his side look MUCH better and the red patch on his back and chin have gone.

I realise I'm not out of the woods yet, but he looks soooooooooooooo much better already.

Just need those fins to sort themselves out now. C'MON FINS!! 

IMG_2615_zps91hzt0qc.jpg

IMG_2620_zpsneivnlvr.jpg

IMG_2629_zpsxv4hnb5u.jpg

IMG_2631_zpsljsmk8gd.jpg

IMG_2632_zps2tryngwn.jpg

Yay Im glad he is looking better! Keep up the good work!

:thumbup2:

Good morning lovely people  :hi

Winston is looking much the same as the images above - his tail is still red & streaky, but he's very happy playing in the bubbles in QT. Lol!

However...and I apologise for sharing these while you might be enjoying your breakfast...it seems there may be an issue in the main tank. I noticed some time ago some white stringy poo and assumed it was from Winston, seeing as how he was quite poorly.

Today though, there's some white string as well as...erm...I'm not sure. Looks like poo, but 'loose' if that makes sense. Also a couple of air bubbles in it. Images below, which I thought looked better quality when I took them, but realise after downloading them that they're not great. Sorry. I'm not sure who it's from (Dad or Piggy).

There's only one poo here - it's just the reflection on the bare bottom making it look like two.

IMG_2638_zpsz2vqf3ie.jpg

And this is the 'loose' poo

IMG_2637_zps6h8ertsk.jpg

Any ideas?

As long as the fish act healthy,  the white poo probably doesn't indicate illness.  

I've asked the moderating team for suggestions about Winston's continued red streaking.

As long as the fish act healthy,  the white poo probably doesn't indicate illness.  

I've asked the moderating team for suggestions about Winston's continued red streaking.

Thanks Sharon.

In that case, I'm SOOOOOO SORRY for making you look at those images needlessly  :teehee

A lot of pictures of poo get posted here.  Prazi kills flatworms including tapeworms as well as flukes.  These could be the rotting remains of deceased tapeworms.

Ewwww.....nice. Lol!

Hope it is though - it means the FS did it's job!

Continue the current treatment for Winston for another week.  If he still has red streaks after that we can try something else.

Continue the current treatment for Winston for another week.  If he still has red streaks after that we can try something else.

OK, will continue with FS & salt at 0.3% unless I hear anything different.

Will post some updates next week.

Have a good weekend all!  :rockon

Another update...

Winston finished his 1st round (in QT) of FS on Saturday and he seems to have the start of another red patch on his belly - looks to be in the same place as the previous one. Fins are still red and streaky.

I started round 2 yesterday (Sunday) so the patch may well disappear again in a couple of days.

Any ideas why he's getting this and why it seems to reappear at the end of the FS treatment? Is it fluke related or could the FS be masking symptoms of something else?

IMG_2678_zpsgqrorkvo.jpg

I don't know.  I will ask the mod team to look at this case.  If you lived in the US I'd recommend an antibiotic at this point.