Jeana727

What is THE BEST Goldfish Food?

45 posts in this topic

what's nucleotide :yikes:teehee

Not sure, but it's supposed to be good for them! "*Enriched Nucleotide enhances koi immunity" says the write up. They also say that "*Most Aqua Master Fish and Turtle Diets also include exclusive probiotics to improve digestion, lower pollution (including nitrates), and lower the incidence of intestinal infections such as Aeromonas of the Gut."

Considering that the stuff comes in 1 kg (2.2 lb) bags at the smallest, I'm sticking what I'm using in an old fish food jar, & putting the rest of the bag in the freezer until I need it - 4 goldfish only eat so much. They're still getting their seaweed & bloodworms & whatnot - i like to mix the food up a bit - but have a good "go to" staple. I think my fish are looking a bit plumper & sleeker since I started feeding a sample bag of Aqua Master around the beginning of August, anyhow.

July 24th

4Fish24July7808_zpsnthrf0xp.jpg

Oct. 22 (the same fish are in roughly the same spot - lower white is Clownie, upper white is Lotus in both photos)

4Size22oct8125_zpsennlirk2.jpg

I like Aqua Master brand better than Hikari, and it's cheaper. But it's still not my favorite staple.

I feed Blackwater Max Growth Food exclusively.   My fish grow very large and healthy.   I mix together the small and medium pellets.  The small pellets have about the size of medium goldfish pellets and the medium like large goldfish pellets.  

In the winter when the duckweed will grow well here, I give them a bit of that every few days.  Of course the fish can nibble on algae all day long as well.

I assume this food floats? Can you comment on floating food vs sinking food? At one point I was convinced my fancy goldfish needed sinking pellets but I feel like I've heard otherwise.

Well, every source of goldfish info says you must feed sinking food, preferably soaked, to keep the fish from swallowing air and floating.  

I take no interest in information not supported by documented experience or published research.  I will just describe my observations.

Most people who keep goldfish ponds feed floating foods.  Many say you should do this so you can tell if all the food gets eaten, since you can't see left over food on the bottom of the pond as well as you can in an aquarium.  Also, people like to teach their pond fish to take food from their hands -- much easier when they associate food with hands that come to the surface of the pond.  Goldfish that live in ponds get large, and on a per pound basis, koi food may cost 1/10 as much as goldfish food of comparable quality.  Most koi food floats.  Pond goldfish have a much lower incidence of buoyancy problems than aquarium goldfish. 

I did start collecting information from d/d threads on the feeding and maintenance history of fish that experienced buoyancy problems that we couldn't explain by disease or toxicity.  I hoped to see if I could identify foods associated with high or low incidence of buoyancy problems.  I gave up after a while since I had such messy data.  However I can say that none of the patients had received floating foods.

I think buoyancy issues have a lot more to do with physiology than food itself, from my observations. My floaters seem to float regardless, and things that are supposed to be good floater recipes? No change here consistently.

I apologize if I should start a new thread for this, but for those of you that feed Repashy, do you use tap water or distilled? I would think distilled as to not be feeding my fish toxins from the tap water, but I could be wrong. Thanks!

I would say tap water is fine. It is such a small amount any chlorine would have evaporated by the time it comes to feeding id say. But thats me.  :) 

I think buoyancy issues have a lot more to do with physiology than food itself, from my observations. My floaters seem to float regardless, and things that are supposed to be good floater recipes? No change here consistently.

Yeah, I agree it is not so much a food type issue too (maybe apart from the bio-film creators).

I actually think its the grazing habit GF have. When there is no food left after eating they look for more and some go for surface grazing more than others :idont

Also I'm guessing here Shakaho, in ponds there is a lot more yummies to graze on generally in a pond so the GF are not so interested in biofilm on the surface or bubbles that they think are food. Instead they can munch on the algae and film on rocks/plants and water creatures :teehee

Edited by Speckles

I've never used gel food before.

Does it make a mess in the tank?

I'm guessing it doesn't if so many people use it.

I use Repashy Super Fly to breed fruit flies for my poison dart frogs.

I'll have to order some of their fish food next time.

Just received my Paradigm Herbivore. I popped a small piece (I only have 3 goldies right now) in the tank. It immediately broke apart & the three had a feeding frenzy!!  I like the reviews ya'll gave & will probably feed this for a week or so......then maybe vary it & Mazuri. We'll see! 

They are still scavenging the bottom to find any more Fish Crack!!!

I got my Paradigm food just now, as well. Lots of "crumbled" food so I know I don't have 4 oz of usable product. Also when put into the tank, it totally crumbled apart. Now, I will say that the fish seem to absolutely love the food. I've never seen Shembje chasing off the others but she sure was chasing them off with this food. Citrine the mush loves it too. Its messier than I like but initial fishy reviews are good.

With my floating issues, nothing helped one fish truly because in the end, her issue was a detached swim bladder. IE - mechanical injury. The other is Rhonda. Wheat makes her a bit floaty. It doesn't matter if the food is sinking or not, if there a decent amount of wheat, she can float a bit sometimes. Repashy NEVER EVER makes her float. Bloodworms don't either. Neither does seaweed etc.

Edited by mjfromga

Yes, it's a softer food but don't throw any out - we have had no problems feeding the crumbs :). You can always add them to repashy too. It lasts a surprising amount of time but they'll eat as much as I put in, the little pigs.

WHOA! I gave Citrine the mush about the same sized chunk of this as I give Repashy and he pooped out an ENORMOUS poop whereas the Repashy poop looks average sized and WAYYYY smaller. What on earth? Need to work out portion sizes apparently as it's got to be different in density.

PS

Ewwwwww

post-25299-0-88945000-1477845151_thumb.j

Edited by mjfromga

I usually do about a pea sized amount for an older fish theee times a day, and a chunk about the size of the fish's eyeball for a juvi three times daily. This food is dry and has no filler so nutritionally it is very dense and you don't need as much. It lasts forever.

An eight ounce bag lasts me almost a year in my main tank and there are eleven moderate to large goldfish in there.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Citrine is 63 grams, 3-4" and 4-5 months. I feed him twice a day, but this food only once a day. I fed him probably a Lima bean sized amount and he totally poopalized his tub. Guess I will try half.

My main staple is Paradigm Herbivore. Hands down awesome.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/ParadigmFoods.html

I add to that Ken's Earthworm Sticks, especially for the younger fish and during breeding season:

http://www.kensfish.com/cgi-kensfish/sb/ss_mb.cgi?storeid=*14884f2aaab140560cc4d786&ss_parm=Ac46a7bae2b95392dfa7152a3840db188

And find it out with Spirulina 20:

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Spirulina-Flake-2-Ounce/dp/B003I5ZP3Q?th=1

I have several other premium foods including Repashy Super Green and Saki Hikari, but the above three are better and my fish seem happier IMO. As for how much I feed I just chuck in small amounts to both ends of the tank 2-3 times a day and watch carefully that my weakest feeder, my celestial, gets his fair share. I have some very aggressive feeders among the telescopes and oranda, so he can sometimes be bullied out of it. But overall everyone seems very happy :)

This is great to hear!  I bought my Paradigm Herbivore for my tropheus and they kinda turned their noses at it.  All my other tropicals are a little lukewarm to it, but they'll eat it.  I have a 16oz bag and I wondered if I should save it for my future goldfish.  Glad to hear that it is working well for other goldie keepers!  My supplier no longer carries it and I thought the Paradigm people were taking a little hiatus.  Nice to know there is another supplier for Paradigm.

Edited by dahling8

I don't think it agrees with my mushy fish. He just poops SO MUCH MORE with this food. I think I will switch back to Repashy for him. Everyone else seems to be quite happy with it.

I ordered some of hte herbivore a while ago and my fish love it.  I do think I'm seeing more poops but I can't say I necessarily think that's a bad thing.  Just means things are "moving along", right? :rofl

I'm off to order more right now. :D

I also ordered some of the earthworm sticks Taryl recommended.  See if I can get some growth out of my lil guys. :teehee

Edited by fantailfan1

I have been using repashy but its expensive and I don't think it is helping my fish's Swim bladder problems. Considering switching to Mazuri!