Jeana727

What is THE BEST Goldfish Food?

45 posts in this topic

I feed mainly Mazuri Gel Food.

I am wondering what ya'll feed as your MAIN FOOD. I am considering changing though I haven't had any negative issues.

So What is YOUR basic everyday food and how often & much of it do you feed?

My main staple is Paradigm Herbivore. Hands down awesome.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/ParadigmFoods.html

I add to that Ken's Earthworm Sticks, especially for the younger fish and during breeding season:

http://www.kensfish.com/cgi-kensfish/sb/ss_mb.cgi?storeid=*14884f2aaab140560cc4d786&ss_parm=Ac46a7bae2b95392dfa7152a3840db188

And find it out with Spirulina 20:

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Spirulina-Flake-2-Ounce/dp/B003I5ZP3Q?th=1

I have several other premium foods including Repashy Super Green and Saki Hikari, but the above three are better and my fish seem happier IMO. As for how much I feed I just chuck in small amounts to both ends of the tank 2-3 times a day and watch carefully that my weakest feeder, my celestial, gets his fair share. I have some very aggressive feeders among the telescopes and oranda, so he can sometimes be bullied out of it. But overall everyone seems very happy :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

That Paradigm Herbivore looks interesting! I've always heard that gel foods are great; but I've pretty much used pellets & veggies for my fish. I've got single tails, though. I was getting some floaty problems with one of them, on Omega One sinking pellets & Hikari Lionhead, & I had a bag of Aqua Master koi pellets I'd gotten as a sample at a koi show... I started feeding a lot more seaweed sheets, & using these as a staple (plus frozen bloodworms 1x/week). Absolutely no waste, & the fish are doing great on them! I stuck the extra in the freezer, since it comes in 2.2 lb bags as the smallest amount. http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquaMaster.html

These are the small pellets - one meal for my 4 three year old goldies.

FoodKoiPellets8022_zpsifdeo9q2.jpg

I add to that Ken's Earthworm Sticks, especially for the younger fish and during breeding season:

http://www.kensfish.com/cgi-kensfish/sb/ss_mb.cgi?storeid=*14884f2aaab140560cc4d786&ss_parm=Ac46a7bae2b95392dfa7152a3840db188

I have several other premium foods including Repashy Super Green and Saki Hikari, but the above three are better and my fish seem happier IMO. As for how much I feed I just chuck in small amounts to both ends of the tank 2-3 times a day and watch carefully that my weakest feeder, my celestial, gets his fair share. I have some very aggressive feeders among the telescopes and oranda, so he can sometimes be bullied out of it. But overall everyone seems very happy :)

Is the herbivore food like a gel or a pellet? 

I like NLS Thera-A pellets and I also mix them with omega one goldfish pellets 1mm size and FBS and FBW a couple times per week.

My main staple is Paradigm Herbivore. Hands down awesome.http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/ParadigmFoods.html

I add to that Ken's Earthworm Sticks, especially for the younger fish and during breeding season:http://www.kensfish.com/cgi-kensfish/sb/ss_mb.cgi?storeid=*14884f2aaab140560cc4d786&ss_parm=Ac46a7bae2b95392dfa7152a3840db188

And find it out with Spirulina 20:https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Spirulina-Flake-2-Ounce/dp/B003I5ZP3Q?th=1

Is the paradigm herbivore a sinking chunk? There was a pic, but I couldn't really tell the form of it. Does it dissolve easily?

The Paradigm Herbivore is cooked in a sheet and crumbles easily into smaller bits. It doesn't float unless you literally just place it on the water as is. I usually submerge my fingers, crumble it a bit, and let it go. It's soft enough to need no soaking. The only hard one is Graze.

Seriously, the Paradigm is like fishy crack.

Id love to try the Paradigm, it looks awesome! Not sure we have anything similar here in Australia...can I justify the postage :hummm

Hmmmm, I think I'm going to have to get some Paradigm as well!

To answer the question:

My adults get 2 moderate meals a day, and my babies get 3-4 meals a day.  I rotate meals evenly between:

- New Life Spectrum goldfish formula

- Saki Hikari purple

- Bloodworms

- Repashy Soilent Green

I've got a ryukin that floats every.single.time.he.eats.  I've separated him for a solid week and fed him solely peas, and he still floated.  He's been doing this for years.  I'd say he floats 12-14 hours out of every 24.  It's strange - most mornings I wake up and he is swimming fine, but 1-2 mornings a week he is floating.  Most days after feedings he's floating within 1-2 hours, but occasionally he doesn't float during the day.  I've tried each of my food types with him exclusively for a period of time to see if there was 1 option he could eat without floating, but I've never found a match.   I recently got my hands on duckweed.  I separated him for 4 days and he had exclusively duckweed to eat.... still was floating most of the day.  Another crazy thing is, if I fast him, he sinks, like he's got a lead weight in his belly.  He's always able to swim down for brief times when he's floating (he's not completely pinned to the top) and he's always to swim up for brief times when he's sunk.   He never seems stressed, never gets sores, and seems "happy" but I'm always on a quest to find a food that will not make him float.  All this to say -- I want to try the Paradigm with him. :) 

Mine is a home made repashy soilent green gel food mix with added: repashy meat pie, tuna water (from canned tune), carrots, an orange slice, cucumber, hikari purple bad gold fish pellets, hikari algae wafers, some omega one flakes,.. I'm probably forgetting something.

I feed this 2x a day.  First meal 1st meal before gel food is either hikari goldfish pellets (pre soaked) or hikari frozen binse shimrp (thawed), rotate on those.  so 3 meals a day.  How much I can't say, have 3 goldies and I think I over feed a little to try to ensure the smallest gets food (it keeps waiting at the surface as everything sinks past it).

Edited by AquaAurora

oh yeh forgot garlic, that's in the gel mix too.

Thanks for the input!

I decided to try Paradigm Herbivore. I just placed my order!!  Can't wait to feed my fish "fishy crack"!!!!!!

I feed Blackwater Max Growth Food exclusively.   My fish grow very large and healthy.   I mix together the small and medium pellets.  The small pellets have about the size of medium goldfish pellets and the medium like large goldfish pellets.  

In the winter when the duckweed will grow well here, I give them a bit of that every few days.  Of course the fish can nibble on algae all day long as well.  

I feed my current babies mixtures of gel foods (Soilent green, super green, meat pie, grub pie, spawn and grow), seaweed, and other stuff. NLS Thera A pellets or Omega one when I can't be bothered. Garlic, Koi clay, bloodworm, and sometimes a veggie is added, as well. Very recently changed to the mixed gel food for all the babies and the pondies have gotten so much color and Ulliri as well. Happy with changes.

My best main food is actually plain old Omega One small sinking goldfish pellets, which you will get at many pet stores.

I like that the main ingredients are FISH, and wheat/corn/gluten etc is only one of the lesser ingredients, vs some other big brands like Hikari etc that have wheat or dried bakery product etc as one of their main ingredients.

Even with my food sensitive fish it doesn't cause severe floating issues like those other pellets.

This makes about 40% of their diet, the other 40% is BASIC sushi nori dried seaweed. High protein, all natural, high fiber, minerals, vitamins etc. Just a bit on the messier side when feeding.

Interesting! I read on Paradigms Facebook a while back that it was going out if business but I guess AAP has picked it up and is selling the same/improved product now? Is this where you get it now?

I've been getting it there since the getgo. I'm not on Facebook but it seems pretty readily available to me.

ETA - found this:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=475988355942806&id=238695709672073&__tn__=%2As

Hopefully things are going well and it ends up back in production. I wonder how the production of the similar food is going?

Edited by Arctic Mama

I feed Blackwater Max Growth Food exclusively.   My fish grow very large and healthy.   I mix together the small and medium pellets.  The small pellets have about the size of medium goldfish pellets and the medium like large goldfish pellets.  

In the winter when the duckweed will grow well here, I give them a bit of that every few days.  Of course the fish can nibble on algae all day long as well.  

That sounds great :o I'd love to try it if I can find it in Australia

Blackwater koi food

Ingredients:

Fish meal, plant protein products, animal protein products.

Very "generic". I remember being told that foods with "fish meal" aren't good foods in comparison to foods that specify such as "salmon meal" etc. I guess I'm wrong.

5 lbs for $11.99? That's insanely cheap. NLS Pellets cost like $15 for a few ounces. I don't keep "pond fish" or Koi and am wondering if this food is suitable for fancy types.

The Paradigm Herbivore is cooked in a sheet and crumbles easily into smaller bits. It doesn't float unless you literally just place it on the water as is. I usually submerge my fingers, crumble it a bit, and let it go. It's soft enough to need no soaking. The only hard one is Graze.

Seriously, the Paradigm is like fishy crack.

I had a look. Very interesting. It's a wee bit expensive, but then so is Repashy, which I feed almost exclusively. I ordered some. Can't wait to try it.

According to fish nutrition experts, fish meal is the best source of proteins and fats for fish food, and is the most digestible protein source.  I don't know any reason that a single species of fish would be preferable to multiple types, and would expect the opposite. 

Most of the koi people around here don't feed Blackwater food because of the cost.  It's dirt cheap compared to goldfish food, but one 30 pound koi needs a lot of food every day, and many people have several fish of that size.  I haven't asked what they feed that costs less, but maybe catfish food.

What do you folks think about the ingredients in Aqua Master Staple Koi food?

Ingredients:

Premium Fish Meal, Krill Meal, Molasses Yeast Powder, Lecithin, Soybean Meal, Wheat Flour, Fish Oil, Nucleotide, Stabilized Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Minerals, Astaxanthin, Antioxidant

Guaranteed Analysis:
*Crude Protein; 32%
*Crude Fat; 3%
*Ash; less than 12%
*Crude Fiber 3% *Moisture; Max 10%

I ordered some Paradigm Herbivore to try it out :)

A little low in protein, and expensive.

what's nucleotide :yikes:teehee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Speckles

I'm thinking of doing a mix with nls gel/algae, nls pellets, mashed sesame seed a probiotic and a wheat gluten (to thicken, so don't need to heat).

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk