Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Arctic Mama

Xypex for concrete tank/pond?

7 posts in this topic

This could have gone in either the pond or DIY section but I'm not technically building a pond and not making it yet, so I picked general chat ;)

I have mentioned on the site that my husband and I are selecting land to build our next home and I'm planning on building in a 500-ish gallon acrylic tank. My husband, who is a geeky engineer and adores concrete with disturbing passion, suggested we cast the tank and just use an acrylic pane on the front side (similar to what Seaworld and most large aquariums do) so there would be less chance of leaking and it would be less delicate.

He talked about using a product he is familiar with called Xypex, which waterproofs concrete and is completely non-toxic (it does it by modifying the crystalline structure of the concrete as it cures, apparently). We would probably then cost the tank with a non-toxic epoxy paint to give it an nice black background and some shine.

Given how many people have built ponds around here, has anyone used or heard of Xypex positively or negatively? It isn't a super expensive product but the tank will be massive and I'd like to get it right, so I'm looking for anyone's input on Xypex or even designing a viewing window from acrylic of the appropriate thickness (probably inch thick or so, we would have to calc it out with that water volume).

Here is a link to Xypex:

http://www.xypex.com/products/crystalline-technology

Thoughts? Experience?

Sounds like an interesting DIY and quite the tank! As always i know nothing on the topic, but i am excited to see how this progresses.

Thank you! I found a few of them on my own but not some of the other threads. We won't be doing a cmu tank, since the entire house is concrete anyway (insulated concrete foam construction and concrete panels) so one more bit of formwork is just no big deal. I'm grilled to see so many have had good results even with just the add on products to the cmu, because the poured products apparently perform even better. Hubby said it was pretty much the gold standard in water proofing concrete and if the koi people are comfortable using it on their insanely expensive stock then so am I!

You might like to look at

Concrete river through house and landscaping or nothing!

Concrete river through house and landscaping or nothing!

Haha! If I didn't have little kids who might fall in I'd consider it. We were talking about how to handle the well water on site which is phenomenal but needs degassing and I talked about putting in a trickle tower. DH said we could design a waterfall feature into one corner of the tank to handle the task (it's going to have a flow through system anyway, so no need for big water changes unless it needs a tear down).

I told him I didn't think that would fit our design aesthetic but it was a good idea nonetheless :lol: