Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FishLover1618

How cold is too cold?

I'm located in Northern California and I built a container pond over the summer. How cold is too cold for goldfish? I have 4 fish in the container. Should I bring them inside for the winter or could I add a heater? I'm still kinda new to goldfish, so thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fancies, or "pond" fish?  My commons have done fine outside in an above ground tub every winter.  NM - our winters are probably comparable or colder than yours.  A skim of ice on top for the hardier varieties is ok.  Frozen solid is not.  Some people say wens do poorly, and I've also heard that older ryukins don't do well.  I wouldn't overwinter a bubble eye outside. 

I'm in the same boat with some chubby egg-shaped ribbon tails.  In or out?  Would rather they stayed out, but not sure what is best for them. 

They should be fine.  Many people to your north keep their fish, plain or fancy, outdoors all  winter.  You should protect the pond from any snow, sleet, or freezing rain.  These will make the water get really cold fast.  A thin layer of ice without snow on top of it will not harm the fish at all.

You can certainly put a heater in the pond and set it for about 50F.  Your main concern should be feeding.  For every 10oF the average daily temperature drops, cut the amount you feed in half.  (I just made up that rule, but I think it should work pretty well.)  Feed high quality, high protein pellets, not the low protein "wheat germ" food that they try to sell you for winter.  The normal winter food for goldfish consists of insect larvae and other animal life.  Any time the fish don't act hungry when you go to feed them, skip feeding them for the day.

What container makes up your pond?

(I just made up that rule, but I think it should work pretty well.)

That just tickled me!!! And I am willing to bet you are correct!!!

Edited by Jeana727