Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
amoonklein

Miss Coco's Mouth

Hi Guys,

Well, Miss Coco is partway through her quarantine... she has had 4 rounds of prazi and is currently on her second round of 0.3% salt (she was supposed to be on 0.3% continuously for 2+ weeks, but on Day 13 I forgot to add her salt back into her tank after a water change, then left to head out of town... oops.  I noticed when I got back home and had to bring her back up to 0.3% again).

Test Results for the Following

Ammonia Level

- Tank: 0 ppm  

- Tap: between 0.25 - 0.5 ppm (closer to 0.5 ppm)

Nitrite Level

- Tap: 0 ppm

Nitrate Level

- Tap: 0 ppm 

PH Level

- Tank: 8.0 - 8.2 (closer to 8.2)  

- Tap: Immediate test @ 8.2, test after sitting for 1+ hour @ 8.2, test after 24 hours @ 8.0-8.2 (closer to 8.2), test after 48 hours @ 8.0

KH Level

- Tank: 5-6 (leaning more towards 6) 

- Tap: 5-6 (leaning more towards 6) 

GH Level

- Tank: 11 

- Tap: 11

Other Required Info

Brand of Test Kit Used:  API drops & Salifert for the D.O. test

Water Temperature: 70-71 degrees

Tank Size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

20 gallon quarantine tank - running since September 13, 2016.  

What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

1 Large Bacto Surge Sponge Filter

How often do you change the water and how much?

It depends.  I try to do daily 80% water changes, but sometimes it's every other day.

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

Yesterday, 80% water change

How many fish in the tank and their size?

I hefty ryukin.  I can provide SL and weight tonight when I get home.

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Prime and Baking Soda to stabilize my PH (1 tsp per 20 gallons)

What do you feed your fish and how often? How frequently do you feed each?

It varies.  Duckweed, nori seaweed, spirulina flakes, Azayaka Basic Balance (pre-soaked), blanched veggies, frozen blood worms/brine shrimp/spirulina brine shrimp, Veggie tank mates, and NLS Thera A+ .5 mm pellets.   I haven't touched the Repashy in a while.

Feeding is typically once/twice a day (unless I'm home on the weekend when they get small meals up to 3x day. 

Any new fish added to the tank?

Nope.

Any medications added to the tank?

Just salt at 0.3% right now.

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.  Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

0.3% salt and prazi powder.  

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc?

Saturday, Miss Coco left lots of poop for me on the sponge filter... most of which is long and clear, and one in particular has some white stringiness in it?  Of course, I got pics because only a "mom" would take photos of goldfish poop to post:

20161016_082105_zpsry3xm4dz.jpg

Since it was pretty late, I figured I'd just do a water change in the morning.  When I checked on her the next morning, she apparently dropped some eggs sometime during the night:

20161016_172936_zpsjzfst0q1.jpg

20161016_171832_zpsjivnfxcb.jpg

She wasn't very interested in her duckweed breakfast, but I assumed she propbably feasted on her eggs and didn't think too much of it.

During her water change, I noticed her mouth looked a bit off... what I mean is, the normally smooth slope from her forehead to her mouth looked to be indented just above the top part of her mouth.  Just in case I missed something, I went back and looked at pics/videos of her from when I first got her.  Sure enough, the previous pics/videos shows her looking normal and sassy.  Something is definitely off and I'm not sure what it is:

Here you can see the indentation above her mouth and in between her nasal bouquets

20161016_195632_zpsdxiro76y.jpg

This is the best picture that shows the bump on the top of her mouth

20161016_195629_zpsuq0uok0n.jpg

Here's a video I got of here... It's tough to see what I'm talking about, but there is definitely a weird indentation:

Here is a picture and video of how she looked before:

20160913_180823_zpspc5obier.jpg

I don't know how her mouth ended up looking like that?  The only thing in the tank is the sponge filter... there isn't much for her to hurt herself.

She also seems less active.... she's normally very feisty, but she's not as zippy :(  Her mouth probably hurts?

Also....

When I finished the water change, I noticed this!

What IS that?!  As soon as I finished taking the video, I siphoned that thing out fast!!  

There' def  a difference in her face.  Those white thinks look nasty.

There' def  a difference in her face.  Those white thinks look nasty.

I know, right?!  Gave me the heebee jeebees for sure!  I haven't seen one prior to this nor have I seen one since I siphoned it out of the tank, but it still grossed me out.

Hope Miss Coco feels better.

Hope Miss Coco feels better.

Thanks, Dawn :)

I've seen pictures of other fish with a crease across the nose.  I've never seen any concern about it.  I don't see any connection with the mouth though.  Am I missing something?

The little wiggly white worms present no problem.  The fish have probably been snacking on them -- good source of protein.

Chris here.... Yikes!!! I would have sucked that thing out too!!! Bummer about Coco's mouth ???? Finger and fins crossed that it rights itself soon... :hmm

I've seen pictures of other fish with a crease across the nose.  I've never seen any concern about it.  I don't see any connection with the mouth though.  Am I missing something?

The little wiggly white worms present no problem.  The fish have probably been snacking on them -- good source of protein.

Good to hear that the worm was harmless!  That's a relief.

It's tough to see based on the pics I posted... and she's not very good at sitting still  ;)  It's the spot between her nares and her mouth, but closer to her mouth. I suck at describing this.  I'll see if I can get some better pics and/or a video of her face up close this evening... hopefully that will show her mouth area a bit better.  

Chris here.... Yikes!!! I would have sucked that thing out too!!! Bummer about Coco's mouth Finger and fins crossed that it rights itself soon... :hmm

Thanks, Chris!  Me too :D

Such a cute fishy. She reminds me of a bigger version of my Ulliri. I see what you describe, and of course the stringy poop. Hope little girl is okay.

Such a cute fishy. She reminds me of a bigger version of my Ulliri. I see what you describe, and of course the stringy poop. Hope little girl is okay.

Thanks, MJ :)

Huh. I do see it but it beats me what could cause it, especially in a tank without a tankmate. Weeeeird!

Huh. I do see it but it beats me what could cause it, especially in a tank without a tankmate. Weeeeird!

Right?!  It's weirding me out!

OK... so I got home and I could see that she laid some more eggs today.  As I got closer to the tank, her bum looks like it's about to explode with eggs!  Poor thing :(  What can I do to help her?  She looks soooooooo uncomfortable.  Also, it looks like she hasn't touched her breakfast... which I'm sure has to do with the fact that she's pretty full!

Right?!  It's weirding me out!

OK... so I got home and I could see that she laid some more eggs today.  As I got closer to the tank, her bum looks like it's about to explode with eggs!  Poor thing :(  What can I do to help her?  She looks soooooooo uncomfortable.  Also, it looks like she hasn't touched her breakfast... which I'm sure has to do with the fact that she's pretty full!

Oh!!! Poor little mama... She must be miserable.... :(

Well at least the eggs are coming out rather than staying in. Hopefully she'll get rid of them all and will be okay.

Well at least the eggs are coming out rather than staying in. Hopefully she'll get rid of them all and will be okay.

Yes, that is a happy brightside :) I'm rooting for her to push, push, push!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I've been checking up on her every few minutes and we have release!!

I was worried about her because her vent was looking pretty swollen, but the last time I walked up to the tank she did a massive wiggle and when she swam it looked like it was snowing.  What I thought was her vent was a whole lot of eggs packed together.

This was after the initial EGG-SPLOSION:

She is still pushing eggs out, but I'm happy that giant wad is no more!  

Your poor fishy! She must be packed with eggies! :o

I don't know about the crease near her mouth but hope it's benign. :hug

Coco is a very pretty fish. Looks regal! :heart

She's always looked super round in the back area. This may explain why. I've never seen so many eggs from a fish her size! Hopefully she passes them all and gets to feeling better.

Have you seen her eat the eggs or can confirm that there are significantly less than you're sure she laid? If she's not eating, I'd be worried even with the egg issues.

Edited by mjfromga

Chris here.... Yay!!! She looks so much better... :happydance I was wondering... If her eggs are slow to release are due to not having a male to chase her around??? I have seen in videos that the males are relentless in chasing the females, maybe that chasing activity helps the female push out the eggs.... :idont

Thank you :D She is still dropping them too!  I imagine that must be uncomfortable, but happy she's getting them out.

She's always looked super round in the back area. This may explain why. I've never seen so many eggs from a fish her size! Hopefully she passes them all and gets to feeling better.

Have you seen her eat the eggs or can confirm that there are significantly less than you're sure she laid? If she's not eating, I'd be worried even with the egg issues.

I also wonder if this is why she's always been a bit extra rotund in the back end... it's actually one of my favorite features about her.

At this point, I'm not so sure she's eaten any of the eggs... especially since she hasn't touched her duckweed or been interested in the pellets I put in yesterday.  I haven't fed her since yesterday morning, but I've left the duckweed floating in her tank.  Perhaps she'll have a snack today once she's gotten the rest of those eggs out?

Chris here.... Yay!!! She looks so much better... :happydance I was wondering... If her eggs are slow to release are due to not having a male to chase her around??? I have seen in videos that the males are relentless in chasing the females, maybe that chasing activity helps the female push out the eggs.... :idont

Good question!  I know it can definitely help a female release eggs when a male is present as the chasing typically has the male pushing up against the female.  I thought about that when I was reading up on eggs and spawning activity last night.  Ideally, it would be good to have one of the boys in the tank with her... but if there's a chance she's having egg issues I don't want to stress her more or have the male accidentally push too hard and hurt her.  Plus, since she technically hasn't complete her QT I don't know if it would be a good idea for me to have another fishy in there.  Being a girl is TOUGH!

Coco dropped some more eggs last night and this morning:

I siphoned those out before I left for work to help keep her tank clean while I'm gone today.  It still looks like she's trying to release more eggs and they are now coming out slowly when they do, it's a few at a time.  Hopefully, she'll be almost (if not all of the way) done when I get home tonight?  Poor thing must have been pretty uncomfortable.

I'm still not sure what the deal is with her mouth, but there are a few moments in this video (and the last few I posted) where you can really see it.  Not sure how/why it happened, but hopefully it won't bother her too much?

She is such a pretty girl. I hope she continues to improve and starts eating again for you! Sending healing vibes Coco's way!

She is such a pretty girl. I hope she continues to improve and starts eating again for you! Sending healing vibes Coco's way!

Coco and I thank you :D

Thank you :D She is still dropping them too!  I imagine that must be uncomfortable, but happy she's getting them out.

I also wonder if this is why she's always been a bit extra rotund in the back end... it's actually one of my favorite features about her.

At this point, I'm not so sure she's eaten any of the eggs... especially since she hasn't touched her duckweed or been interested in the pellets I put in yesterday.  I haven't fed her since yesterday morning, but I've left the duckweed floating in her tank.  Perhaps she'll have a snack today once she's gotten the rest of those eggs out?

Good question!  I know it can definitely help a female release eggs when a male is present as the chasing typically has the male pushing up against the female.  I thought about that when I was reading up on eggs and spawning activity last night.  Ideally, it would be good to have one of the boys in the tank with her... but if there's a chance she's having egg issues I don't want to stress her more or have the male accidentally push too hard and hurt her.  Plus, since she technically hasn't complete her QT I don't know if it would be a good idea for me to have another fishy in there.  Being a girl is TOUGH!

Oh, I agree... But maybe the next time she is egg Chubby she won't have any issues... I'm sure she has no desire to have a tank mate right now.... poor baby is try to cope... :sick

Something is definitely up... she hasn't laid any more eggs since this morning and her vent looks like it's still trying to get something out, but nothing is coming out.  It looks almost dark red in the part of her vent that is open.

Also, her mouth is closed and it looks like she's trying to chew, but she hasn't eaten anything and she isn't opening her mouth at all.  My Mom has been keeping an eye on her today and she said that Coco has been acting like she's "chewing" since about 3:00p (about 4 hours).

Here's a video I just took of Coco which hopefully shows her mouth, the chewing, and her bulbous bum / vent:

I don't know what to do... I'm starting to get pretty worried.  Is there anything I can do to help her?