Only a few today, not many fish benched yet. We were early

DSCN2457_zpssodb5p20.jpg

DSCN2456_zpssvq324fm.jpg

DSCN2455_zps4auimyge.jpg

DSCN2453_zpsw5tgtoyt.jpg

Awesome Awesome :thumbs:

Keep them coming hun :)

Beautiful Goldfish!!!!

Many more tomorrow. Callisto is in the bottom pic checking out some Wakin babies next to him.

woo! I thought that was him!

Awesome, have a great time! :D

Those wakin look a lot like fantails to me.  They do have a tail tuck like a wakin, but the bodies look like fantails.

Wakin

He had some adults too, which I didn't get a photo of yet. Classic red and white and an orangey one like the babies. Will get pics tomorrow. He said they're Wakin. He was very old and said he's bred them. He also had baby Koi he'd bred entered.

I wouldn't know much, I'm only going off what I've heard from others. I even told him that I was told Callisto was a fantail (though he never looked like what I know to be fantails) and he shot it down saying he was SURE Callisto was a Wakin.

If someone is going to stand and call him wrong, it sure won't be me.

Cool. Take lots of pics tomorrow! :nana

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Will do! And will get some video, too. I hope my little boy is okay.

Gorgeous fish! The "wakins" Look a lot like my Polka!

Theres one like my Belle there! :)

Gorgeous fish! The "wakins" Look a lot like my Polka!

Can never remember which is which with regards to your fish lol. The "Wakin" babies since we're calling them that I suppose, were only about the size of Callisto. Callisto is about 22 grams so very WEE little guys indeed.

http://www.raingarden.us/2734d.JPG

Interesting... IMO - when this photo is used for reference of a Wakin, the main difference I see between this fish and Callisto except of course size (adult vs. baby) is that Callisto is fatter. But then, I suppose that is the difference that was spoken of with regards to the body of the fish looking fantail but the tail tuck being present. Interesting stuff. The guy did say that Calico was extremely uncommon in the breed and Callisto is calico. Welp! Wonky fishy Callisto remains lol

Callisto looks more like a British style fantail to me:

http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfish/fantail/fantail.htm

I don't really think Callisto or her lil neigh dos look much like wakins but her lil neighbors look a bit closer with their tail set

https://thegoldfishcouncil.org/wakin/

Do you know what standards the Atlanta show are judged against? We're going to a show put out by The Goldfish Council in Richmond VA today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Callisto is a boy fish. Idk what Callisto is, he's an odd little guy. The show is judged using British/UK standards they said and that's why it takes a long time.

In any case, I'm off. Just want to enjoy pretty fish. Not my place or within my knowledge to nitpick at breeds. This is the thread so people can see pretty fish.

PS - Callisto doesn't look like those fish either IMO. He was $5 and hes just a wonky fish Lol

Edited by mjfromga

Pretty fish! Pretty fish! Pretty fish! :thumbs:

:rockon:nana:happydance

Have fun!

Read the wakin standard here.  Critical features include a body height no more than 1/3 the body length, and a long peduncle.  You can see show quality wakin here.

Then look at the standard for the fantail.  Callisto comes close to matching the height to length ratio now, and will get taller as he gets larger.  I agree with Octoari that Callisto fits the British standard well.

We aren't arguing, Myra, just trying to figure out what to call the fish.  The old guy probably started with wakins but selected for atypical traits.

Well I'm here and two people came and labeled all the fish. The two fish next to Callisto were selected as pond variety but Callisto special variety. So I think you guys are onto something.

Pics coming tomorrow. The winners are announced tonight at the banquet, which I can't attend. I'll get Callisto tomorrow after I attend the critique. Such a fun time! Learned a lot too.

Mmm, banquet sounds good...bummer you can't go to that!

I love that frilly red and white one :wub:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Speckles

Read the wakin standard here. Critical features include a body height no more than 1/3 the body length, and a long peduncle. You can see show quality wakin here.

Then look at the standard for the fantail. Callisto comes close to matching the height to length ratio now, and will get taller as he gets larger. I agree with Octoari that Callisto fits the British standard well.

We aren't arguing, Myra, just trying to figure out what to call the fish. The old guy probably started with wakins but selected for atypical traits.

Just wanted to tell you Sharon. When I asked why Callisto was benched as special variety, the guy immediately said "That's a fantail". He also said that for a fantail, Callisto was quite a nice one. Bright and alert, two of the proper fins where they should be, great dorsal fin, great color etc. Kinda happy to hear one of the benchers have nice things to say about my little boy. There were about 60 goldfish BTW. I was told the Orlando show is bigger. There were over 150 Koi I think I heard him say. Told the old guy the fish were benched separately and he said... "Well they'd know more than I would!!"

PS - I read that fantail standard and Callisto fits pretty well. Think he's too fat and too deep, though.

Edited by mjfromga

My Yahoo mail, YouTube, and photo bucket upload speeds aren't working at all on any of my devices. I managed to get a few photos into my gmail from my computer. Koko - if you'll post the photos, I'll forward the email to you.

That beautiful calico ryukin looks like it has blue eyes.  :wub: