Sign in to follow this  
Jeana727

Oh My......FASTING FISH!

21 posts in this topic

Lately I have noticed most (if not all) of my goldies swimming around "towing" a long POO!! :yikes I was pretty sure what to do, but read several similar posts by others & even just SEARCHED the problem, Fasting seems to be THE answer. Most said THREE DAYS!! So I placed a NOTE on my tank (yes to remind MYSELF!!) that nothing is to be fed 'til SATURDAY morning!!!

I am thinking this may be somewhat distressing for the goldies but I WILL PROBABLY BE TRAUMATIZED!!!!!

I fed them last night & today is DAY ONE!!  They are just fine....thus far so am I.

Chris here... fasting is a challenge... :thud

It's 2pm Day One...............The fish all seem absolutely fine.......I seem to be doing pretty good too! SO FAR SO GOOD!!!

((seems like A LONG time til Saturday morning)) :blink:

Haha i hate fasting. Your fishies probably don't even notice. I mean, they constantly believe they are being starved anyways, lol. Do fish notice passing time?

Callisto is going to the show. He's been extremely lightly fed for the past few days, and will be pulled from the small pond and fasted until Saturday, as well. It seems so excessive but I'm sure they have their reasons, so I will follow protocol.

Just remember, no matter how much they beg they're in good shape for a few days without food. 4+ is where you can start to see some stress symptoms but even in humans most benefit from a good half day or day fast!

So more on DAY 1:

They are foraging around same as any other day. As I look over a couple are still TOWING a poo behind them! (It really perturbs the starch outta me!)

As for ME......I am doing fine!!!  (So Far!)

Rather than fasting, why don't you just decrease the amount you feed?  Trailing long poops indicates overfeeding.

To clear the gut, just feed leafy greens for a few days. 

Myra, they have you fast the fish before you bring it to the show to keep the tanks clean.  You do the same thing before shipping.

Yes, that's what it said Sharon. But I'd think 4-7 days was a lot for a few hours in a tank. But they'd know best so I am following the guidelines.

I am too worrywart to leave him there on Friday, so I am taking him early Saturday instead.

Edited by mjfromga

Hey! I have some fresh spinach I think I'll blanch a piece or two THAT'll be ALOT better!!!!!  Thanks, Sharon!!!!!!

**Goes over to tank to RIP down the DO NOT FEED sign.....(yes....that is to remind ME)

Edited by Jeana727

I guess I will start feeding ONCE daily

If you;ve been feeding twice a day.continue doing so, just feed half as much each time.  Goldfish naturally graze.

I feed small amounts 3x a day and add a lot of veggies in the diet: 2 of the 3 meals are a home modded soilent green gel food with extra carrots, cucumber, orange and more).  I also occsiaonlly trhow in a small peice of orange (mabye once every 2-4 weeks) or blanched cucumber slice.  Not had poo trailing issues, just the normal "omg there's so much!" when siphoning.

Edited by AquaAurora

I was going to ask what the reason for a fast as long as 4 days was? I was thinking along the lines if what Shakaho said... decrease feeding and feed smashed peas or something like that

At one time, people here advocated routinely fasting fish one day a week.  A discussion of the fact that goldfish in nature eat continuously, although just a little bit at a time, led to concern that routine fasting appeared pretty harsh as well as unnatural.

Of course, fasting can have a role to play in treating digestive problems.  Also, when one can't do maintenance because of a vacation trip or other problems,  fasting may save fish lives, however unpleasant they may find it.  

This thread is funny :teehee especially the side notes :)

I was the Queen of  overfeeding, so I just feed two small meals a day per Shakaho.   The fish are more active and the poop kite tails are gone. :happydance

The fish looked like they were being stalked by anaconda snakes.

Edited by KimA.

At one time, people here advocated routinely fasting fish one day a week.  A discussion of the fact that goldfish in nature eat continuously, although just a little bit at a time, led to concern that routine fasting appeared pretty harsh as well as unnatural.

Of course, fasting can have a role to play in treating digestive problems.  Also, when one can't do maintenance because of a vacation trip or other problems,  fasting may save fish lives, however unpleasant they may find it.

That's the only time I fast my fish. When I go to visit family/friends in ny.

Eh - I ended up leaving Callisto on Friday anyway. Even through Saturday and Sunday, having had no food since Wednesday, he was spunky and seemed perfectly fine. He went back with his friends and not one single time did he seem upset. I will say though, that many of the other fish did. I don't fast fish otherwise.

Yep Cutting back has worked......no more "poop kite tails"!

Thanks Shakaho! You ALWAYS give great advice!

5 hours ago, Jeana727 said:

Yep Cutting back has worked......no more "poop kite tails"!

Thanks Shakaho! You ALWAYS give great advice!

:thumbup2: