DieselPlower

Recommended depth for fancy goldfish fry?

8 posts in this topic

Well I picked up 5 new to me fancies and within a couple weeks I had eggs and a week later fry and a week later I'm counting 11 so far hidden in the plants in the 20 long they're in. I plan to move them to a 40b once they are a little bigger and can handle the current of a low gph filter. I am wondering though... what are people's thoughts on water depth at young age as it relates to swim bladder development? Is the 40b too deep when filled full? I can't really run a low power hob with a low water lever. Maybe just an airstone?

Breeders recommend under 4".   Shallow water with a small sponge filter easily handles the little bit of wast they produce.  I use 2 gallon tubs with no filter and change water by moving the fry to a tub of fresh water every other day.  I also give them duckweed, which consumes waste and is home to lots of live fry food.  An algae-covered rock from the pond provides live food too.

4" geez ok thanks for all the info. I'm going to set a bag of cycled media on top of an airstone cause, well, that's what I've got.

Yes, less is more. 4 inches max seems to be standard for the best fin and swim bladder development :)

How long at this depth are we talking?

At least the first six to eight weeks. Depending on the variety of fancy the shallow water is a good choice for months and months in terms of optimal grooming, but I think it is most critical in the first two months and then when they are swimming well and have been culled for spine and swim bladder issues you can get away with deeper.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I can do 8 weeks but man that is very undesirable! My very hard water ruins the glass on a tank if I have it less than full and use a bubbler. The glass gets coated with a white concrete like substance that is very difficult to remove. I guess I'll be emptying the 40 for now.

So why put them in an aquarium?  Get anlittle sponge filter will work fine.  

Edited by shakaho