Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Butterfly

Reduced stock at "big box" pet stores

I'm not sure this is the right place or description but...

Has anyone else noticed a drop in the available fish supplies at stores like Petsmart and Petco? I'm fortunate to have other pet stores in the area and do a lot of shopping online, but I do wander through these stores when I have the chance (it may indeed be a disease like my husband says).

There is always aquarium decor and fish, but the meds, water treatments and food, both variety and quantity seems to be being cut back further and further. They used to have a good complement or Seachem products, now just lucky to find Prime. Frozen food freezer is sometimes nearly empty.

Just wondering if others see this in their area or maybe it is just low supply and demand in mine? Just bums me out.

The big pet stores around here aren't great but the med thing is somewhat explained by some changes in policy relating to carrying antibiotics. Some of the store chains will only do the herbal/non-antibiotic meds like formaldehyde, copper, or Melafix style treatments, unfortunately. The independent mom and pop fish store is always so much better here than the big one when it comes to medication and food choices.

My PetSmart and Petco have always rarely had many fancies. I usually only see the $35 bigger Oranda ones. Usually VERY crowded and look quite "yawny" and flukey. There are also always "feeders" and some decent Shubunkins but rarely many regular fancies at all.

Chris here... Hi Butterfly, yes I agree with your observation... Here in southern CA, both stores are extremely limited in meds and water care products... It's really tough when you have an emergency... Online is pretty much my only resource... :(

Thanks all. I just am amazed at how little fish stuff there is at my local stores. Sometimes I wander in hoping to be inspired by a new item or a plant or a fish or something but I just wander out sad and perplexed. Bleh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The petsmarts near me are very low on live animal stocks such as birds and critters, but not fish. I asked and they said something about their distributor and they were getting a new one? That was a while ago though and I do not know what is happening with it now.

Also, as far as products go, there is always very little. I've seen general cure ONCE, and only one box. They never have anything else medication wise. They have a few Seachem products, but only for saltwater. They always only have the API test kit for saltwater too. They don't even usually have Melafix... And I don't even buy that.