Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
kiro

URGENT! TANK LEAKING!

18 posts in this topic

So, about ten minutes ago I realized the low front end of my 500liter (132 USG) is leaking. The trouble in most likely the seal (that is currently hidden by stand edge and sand at teh bottom of the tank). I am keeping all fingers crossed that it is not crack at the bottom. the whole front of the tank stand is dripping water.

I have moved all my five goldfish (all roughly 10 grams/ 2inch in size) to temporary holding tank and am in progress of emptying the tank as fast as I can from the water, having unplugged all the electric devices.

Obviously this is somewhat unpleasant surprise to me, but probably not entirely unexpected as I bought the tank second-hand bit under a year ago.

My question is this: If it is seal problem, is it plausible to fix this tank by going over the seams with aquarium safe silicon? The tank is rimless, in case it has any difference and I have never in my life seamed anything.

I would obviously prefer this as it would presumably be cheaper than to buy new tank of roughly same size, but if it can't be done I can dip into my emergency savings...

And I'd be grateful for anyone who has any suggestions regarding the goldfish and the filters, my poor plants or any other things I might have overlooked in my considerable haste to prevent this amount of water to explode into our living room.

Edited by kiro

I have no suggestions, but omg I feel for you. This must be so scary! :(

Good luck!! 

Gosh. That's terrible. I'd drain the tank of all water ASAP. Resealing it shouldn't be hard, but you'll have to turn the tank up and have a look. I thought my tank had a leak once as I saw water slightly pooled in the front, but upon investigation, it was the filter that was leaking. A small crack in the AquaClear 110 had begun to leak. But if the leak is as prominent as you say, it's probably the tank.

Gosh. That's terrible. I'd drain the tank of all water ASAP. Resealing it shouldn't be hard, but you'll have to turn the tank up and have a look. I thought my tank had a leak once as I saw water slightly pooled in the front, but upon investigation, it was the filter that was leaking. A small crack in the AquaClear 110 had begun to leak. But if the leak is as prominent as you say, it's probably the tank.

Yes, the tank is empty now. Well, as far as I can get before scooping out my sand and plant substrate. That is job for tomorrow.

The leak is definitely the tank, though, the filters are placed too far from where it is leaking for it to be one of them in any way.

Glad to hear there is hope for resealing though.

Find the leak cut away old silicone! make sure area is bone dry and clean! Reseal! Leave for 48 hours! refill....sorted!!....i have built whole tanks of glass and silicone just make sure you put a layer of polystyrene under the tank to absorb any irregularities!

I have seen whole tanks shatter because of a single grain of gravel!!

Best of luck! you should have no problem!!

What I have heard is, that you don't want to just glue over defective seams, as the new silicone won't adhere properly to already cured silicone. It sounds like it isn't difficult to reseal one - here are a couple of links that describes how to reseal a tank: http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article96.html

http://www.Not Allowed/fishforum/diy-do-yourself/108119-75g-reseal-project-pics.html

There are also many YouTube videos on how to do this.

Maybe with less exclamation points, but pretty much what fingers said ;)

It has to be dry and clean, but an old tank can absolutely be resealed. It's a pain but often much cheaper on a big tsk than purchasing new. It makes less sense on a small tank where replacement cost is lower though.

It has to be dry and clean, but an old tank can absolutely be resealed. It's a pain but often much cheaper on a big tsk than purchasing new. It makes less sense on a small tank where replacement cost is lower though.

LOL.....a bad habit of mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yikes!

Yup, what fingers said.

If you think a video would help, Joey at KingofDIY channel has several related videos. 

Also, Shabazin is correct.  Get all the silicone off, and clean the glass bare.  You can't just add dabs here and there. 

Good luck.  I hope everything works out for you.

Good luck! What a mess. I have used aquariums too and I just rue the day.

LOL.....a bad habit of mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like them. Im the ..... woman :rofl

Wo! One our worst night mares! I love a good exclamation point too!!! :teehee Keep us updated on how are you going.

Keep calm and watch The DIY king...I find any of his videos are good :whistle  :yeah: 

Thank you all for well-wishes and tips! I'm currently emptying the plants from the tank, going to stuff them into a bucket with some water and hope for the best.

My filter media (some of it at least) is in another bucket with airstone to keep water moving. I Hope this will be enough to keep at least some bb alive :-/

Next I'll have to take out the sand and dirt, and hopefully somewhat separate them in two buckets.

And keep up with waterchanges in goldfish emergency housing.

I've watched about hundred videos of resealing the tank so far. Now I just hope scooping out the sand won't reveal crack instead of seal problem.

Silicone arrived today. I will do the resealing tomorrow. Wish me luck guys.

Good luck. Hope it goes well.

Hoping it's not a crack--but if it is one can replace it with tempered glass of the same weight and then reseal as per videos.

I have done this but learned a few things in the process. 1) the scraping off the old silicon is vital and razor blade knives are the best;

2) use alcohol to wipe the glass clean after scraping--and shows up leftover bits; 3) use enough but not too much silicon:  too much=like decorating a cake and very messy. When you press it into seam it should overlap the glass = to the seams of the other seams: wider overlap of silicon the larger the tank; 4) go to Home Depot/hardware store and get the tool to press the silicone in and edge.  Gloved fingeres don't keep it uniform; 5) plenty of ventilation--you can't believe what the order is like until one sticks one head inside the tank with the silicone gun; 6) let dry 48 hours--then test it for 24 hours

Good luck!

Good luck! Another tip, licking your finger stops it from sticking to silicone...or you could prob have a little glass of water to dip finger in if you need to do that :I-Thank-You: