Kokos Goldfish Forum
Mothercrow

Frustrated with other forums

I'm so frustrated! I see people with their sick goldfish, and I have no idea what to tell them, but I know that if they could make their way over here they'd get good advice. Why don't they seek out specialized forums? Why can't I just tell them to come here? Why aren't I learning faster so I can at least be of help? I'm so frustrated! [/rant]

I admit I will sometimes message someone privately and offer them help by way of Kokos, but it's rare and only if the forum they're on is totally not helping.

Yeah, I see this the most on facebook, and occasionally on Instagram.  Someone will post a blurry picture that doesn't really show much, and say "Help, my goldfish is dying!"  Then you see within 30 minutes, 5-10 people have all given advice (without asking questions to gather more information) and usually the advice is conflicting.

I used to mention to people to start a thread on kokos, but it was extremely rare for anyone to follow through.  So I just don't comment when it comes to ill fish.  The only times I comment is if someone's asking a question about something I've personally had success in dealing with (other than illness) such as water quality questions, food, etc.  

But yes, it is frustrating, bc we all just want to help each other with information that could save the fish's life.

The only forum i use is this one. Haven't found any others worth my time. I am a member on several Facebook fish and pond sites. Lots of bad info there. I keep getting banned from pages for proving the admins wrong. Ya have to learn to depersonalize.

Im on a few goldfish groups on fb and Ive given up giving advice on them because everyone just tells me Im wrong lol

I have referred a few people here, but for me the hard part is not looking spammy.  Because I really don't want to advise them myself, but if all I ever say is, "Come to Koko's!" it would start to look odd I think.  So I pick and choose...

I've PMed a few people on other forums and advised them to join her for goldfish, or a betta specific forum i frequent if they have betta problems.  I don't link in open posts as those forums don't allow you to post links to other forums.  Usually I just tell them its a helpful community specifically geared towards 'that' type of fish, lots of good info on "that" forum.

If I'm giving them forum info because of a sick fish I link them the disease section and the "fill this out" form as well.

Most of the time I don't think people follow through, join, and fill out the info forum for disease help.