Sign in to follow this  
Distaff

anyone here own a canary?

8 posts in this topic

I've been researching parrots for a while (and, very much enjoyed Flipper's posts).   Not sure I'm ready for as they say, "parrothood."  Nevertheless, when we got the chickens as hatchlings, they stayed nights in the mudroom for an extended period of time.  I missed the "song"...um, noise, actually... after they graduated to the outdoor shelter.

Was considering the Spanish Timbrado (beautiful song), but didn't locate any breeders I was comfortable who would also ship.  I did find a small, specialized breeder I like for the American Singer canary breed.  Looks like about $160 would buy a bird and get it shipped to the house, which isn't much more than I've spent on any of the individual fish. 

I actually have a suitable cage, and they sound like easy keepers. 

Besides, birds and fish just seem to go together.

Edited by Distaff

I have never owned a canary before, but I can say I love their coloring. They are quite skittish from what I have seen, but I have also seen some hand tamed as well. Is this a bird you want to be able to hold and pet or enjoy the song and beauty of?

I have a cockatiel myself, a Lutino cinnamon pearl pied. I've had her for 4.5 years now. I got her from a breeder with a cage for $120.00. She mainly screams unless I'm Holding her because she is so attached to me. When she is on me, she is a cuddle monster and makes cute little chirps and whistles and demands where to be pet :rofl not sure if that's of any helpful information to you or not though :peeka:)

I grew up around a big parrot hanging out at my local pet store as a kid which is where I now work haha and fell in love with birds. It took me a few years to convince my parents to let me get one, but it finally happened for my birthday in 8th grade. That one bird is still there too :heart he is 26 now, a military macaw.

My family had one when i was a kid. I can barely tell you a thing about him, but while all of our other birds mimicked our "songs," I became fluent in his. :teehee

I had one a few years back. Only the males sing.  They need a varied diet. They are not finger birds.  You can train them or bribe them to come back to their cage so they can fly around some. Makes for a healthier bird if you can do that. If not then you  need a large flight cage.

Good luck

Edited by Hidr

I'm good with a stand-offish bird.  I keep snakes in vivs.  Two are friendly, one hates people.  That's ok - beauty is sufficient, and it's not like I can cuddle the fish.  I've got tame fancy rats for shoulder pets, and three dogs to cuddle with.

A lone male sounds maybe a little sad, but as I understand it only the hens can be group housed.  Do the hens make any sound at all, or are they totally quiet?  

I may just start with a single singing male, and get hens later when I have another cage.

Thanks, everyone.

Edited by Distaff

I had one a few years back. Only the males sing.  They need a varied diet. They are not finger birds.  You can train them or bribe them to come back to their cage so they can fly around some. Makes for a healthier bird if you can do that. If not then you  need a large flight cage.

Good luck

Available cage is 36X24X24 inches.  Powder coated, 1/2 inch wire spacing.  I can let the bird fly some in the netted green house on nice days.  It keeps sparrows out so they can't eat the delicate greens and seedlings, so, it will keep a canary in. Anyway, if I put it out, I'll be in that immediate area of the yard doing chores - it won't be just left alone out there.

(Was planning on building a dedicated and separate outdoor flight/aviary earlier, but the last recent wind storm destroyed so much, I've been playing catch-up just getting rabbit and chicken housing back up properly.)

Other than that, I'll need perches, food containers with holders, water bottle, feed. cuttlebone, etc.  Internet results seem split on toys.  Some say canaries play with them, some say not.  Considerable and daunting hazards with added toys...heavy metal poisoning from chipped plated metals, rings that heads and feet can get caught in, rope and nylon fibers that fray, catch, and strangle the birds...etc.  I did, however find a bird toy source that sells mostly safe assembly parts.

Edited by Distaff

Mine were not much for toys but they liked thinks like grass stuff that they could pick on and throw about.  Make sure it is bird safe.  Maybe a swing.  Some easy foraging type stuff. Mostly stuff they can pick at. Does that make sense....