Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nova's_RedCap

Have had an Oranda for a year and hasn't grown much.

Hello!

I'm new to this forum and I've have been wondering this for the longest. I have a Red Cap Oranda named Lil Red and I've had him for almost a year now (got him Oct. 3, 15') and he hasn't grown much at all. I did some research before I got him and bought a 30g tank and necessary equipment so it's not like he was kept in a tiny bowl. Around June I downsized his tank to a 20g. I feed him once a day sometimes more. I give him spinach at least 4 times a week. Would anyone might know why he hasn't grown? I want him to get big and chunky like orandas should be. 

Thanks for reading,

Zach

Some fish just stay small, or grow very slowly. I have a one that I've had for almost 2 years and he still is under 20grams! Whereas some of my other fish have doubled in size.

Is he the only fish in the tank?

What else do you feed and how often?

And What is your filtration and Water change schedule like?

In the end some fish just don't have the genetics for great growth!

Agree with Mandy. I've had a Ryukin for a year and she's so teensy. Still just over 20 grams. Shes got big eyes and a big head and a teensy body. Her sister Ryukin who I got at the same time and was about the same age and size, fed the same foods etc, grew to be 70-80 grams before she unfortunately passed away last month. Both very cheap mass merchandiser fish. Some of the babies just don't grow much.

DSCN1676_zpsdppytz3p.jpg

DSCN1360_zpsavjtck5t.jpg

Welcome to Kokos!!!!

You want big fish they need lots of clean water and lots of high protein head. Look for Hikari Lionhead food.

You want big fish they need lots of clean water and lots of high protein head. Look for Hikari Lionhead food.

This food doesn't come recommended by most. I'd rather a small fish than a floating one. Even Sharon the other day questioned if this site should begin telling people to avoid this food. Dandy Orandas and many others recommend Repashy Gel food. My teensy adult fish was not raised on this food, but my babies are and they're growing nicely.

Hikari supposedly changed their ingredients a while back.  Check the list.  I've always stayed away from it - the on-line reviews were not positive, so no first hand experience here.

mjfromga, that little fish might now be what you hoped for, but I think she is beautiful. 

Ah, perhaps they did change the ingredients. I KEPT seeing people on multiple forums saying their fish floated on it and when I looked at the ingredients, they just weren't that good at all. I've never tried it, but I see bad reviews of it left and right.

And thanks for the compliment about little Rhonda. I think her teensy size is adorable. She was one of the first two fish I ever purchased and has survived all my rookie errors and hasn't caused me even a bit of trouble over the almost year since I got her.

I have personally used Hikari Lionhead and witnessed the increased growth rate in my own fish.

Interesting on the floaty comments though. Haven't noticed that.

I have two telescopes who just take forever to grow and it is likely they will just stay small for the rest of their lives just like some people stay small and some get big it's just the luck of the genes you get.

I apologize for not replying. My notifications didn't do their job lol. But thank you all for the comments. I feed Red Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets and he never floats unless I accidentally drop too many in his tank (~ more than 10 pellets). I also feed him Spirulina 20 and dried blood worms every now and again. He lives by himself in a 20g tank and I change 6g of water every 5-7 days and I use Prime water conditioner. Thank you all for the replies.

I have personally used Hikari Lionhead and witnessed the increased growth rate in my own fish.

Well I'm not one to argue with your own two eyes. I'm certain the food works great for many people. I have no experience with wen growing breeds, as I only recently got into Orandas. One very low quality with no wen at all, and one more decent quality. Both very young. The actual growth rate of my fish got better on Repashy Soilent green/Meat pie/Super Green combo from the Omega One food, but the Orandas wen is still 100% absent. I just think some Orandas don't get wens.

I don't think all the Hikari Lionhead food in the world could put any sort of wen on Randy the Oranda here. 2+ months in and still nothing. I don't mind, but the issue in this thread is merely some grow, some don't.

DSCN0734_zpsufhk6ge2.jpg

DSCN1764_zpselcumnlj.jpg

Like some said, weekly large water changes and plus feed your fish more often for growth. Other than that, genetics also plays a role.

Also most fish doesn't get wen growth until a year old. Some gets them around 3+ inches.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

If you want big fish, I'd look for a breeder/importer who is known for big fish.

Far and away, my biggest fish is from Dandy Orandas.

Some lines are known for breeding big.  ThePondDigger has a good series of videos with a US based goldfish guy from Thailand.  One video features some huge fish he breeds (imports?).  Orandas, or lionheads, can't remember.  Don't know what the lifespan is on these giants, but they were impressive.

Frankly, I don't understand the debate on Hikari. 

The ingredients list says it all.  There are so many other choices out there. I won't touch it.

Also, I think there is something to be said for goldfish that stay little. 

You can set them up in a smaller tank.  I know the care guidelines stipulate otherwise (and for very good reason), but using some discernment about it, and understanding the disadvantages inherent in any smaller tank, one could come up with a lovely (and healthy) smaller set-up with permanently tiny fish.

Occasionally, DO has listed a small older fish that never grew for him (not sure how long his average holding time is).  He had one for IIRC, $35 a while back.  I like things in mini size. 

The recipe for growing a young fish to its maximum growth says many feedings a day of high protein food, a large water volume, and lots of large water changes to remove the waste produced by all that food.  Or you can put them in a pond. I admit some of my fish have grown huge. I haven't overfed rich food or given them 50 gallons per fish, but they have all grown up in ponds.  They also have a few siblings that grew to only half their size under identical conditions. 

Why do you want big fish?  They need larger aquariums and more water changes.  Even then, they don't live as long as the average sized ones.

If you want big fish, I'd look for a breeder/importer who is known for big fish.

Far and away, my biggest fish is from Dandy Orandas.

Some lines are known for breeding big. ThePondDigger has a good series of videos with a US based goldfish guy from Thailand. One video features some huge fish he breeds (imports?). Orandas, or lionheads, can't remember. Don't know what the lifespan is on these giants, but they were impressive.

Frankly, I don't understand the debate on Hikari.

The ingredients list says it all. There are so many other choices out there. I won't touch it.

ThePondDigger was with Nimit from Coast Gem USA in this video on YouTube. They were Thai Orandas. They grow like Oscars and can reach 6 inches with 6 months.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

This food doesn't come recommended by most. I'd rather a small fish than a floating one. Even Sharon the other day questioned if this site should begin telling people to avoid this food. Dandy Orandas and many others recommend Repashy Gel food. My teensy adult fish was not raised on this food, but my babies are and they're growing nicely.

Again, maybe those Hikari foods have changed their formula but I never liked how they mostly consisted of grains. It's like feeding a dog or cat cheap food that is mostly grain based, just that Hikari is expensive.

I had a lot more success with Omega One small sinking goldfish pellets, where the first three ingredients are fish based and only little bit of filler. Also feeding dried seaweed, frozen worms, cooked fish and shrimp and steamed vegetables.

Still, of course, there are fish that just won't grow right. I had a few of those over the years, and that's just how it goes. It's genetics and what not. But if your fish appears to be happy and healthy otherwise, then he is probably fine. 

Just not....BIG.