Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
koko

KG Shirt Give Away!

Yes, make him drive! lol

Heh you're not gonna like this, but he doesn't have his license yet :donthit

Yeah, that could be a problem. lol

My cat keeps me company on the couch at night :wub: I am on season 12 of Grey'a anatomy :thud it took forever!

I need to go back to sleep. Is this thread to win a blue t-shirt that says koko on it? It is two am

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk

I found a snail in my plant QT tank. I don't want to kill it, but I've seen a snail infestation and it ain't pretty.

is it definitely a nuisance snail? If it is I wouldn't hesitate to kill it myself, I had an infestation in my aquaclear filter once. It took me a while to get rid of them entirely but I did it. What kind of plants are they?
I don't know for sure, the seller was selling nerites so I suppose it could be a nerite. It's tiny and brown. The plants are vesuvius swords, an anubias, and some bacopa. There are no fish in the QT so I didn't bother with a filter or a heater. Come to think of it, I didn't condition the water, either. That is one hardy snail!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

:hi

022_zpszlm795bu.jpg

This pvc water bridge cost more than my 2 75gs combined! (6" diameter is expensive x.x ) but it won't shatter or leak like a glass water bridge might (also making a glass water bridge for 2 tanks at a 90 degree angle is a pain!)

Edited by AquaAurora

I found a snail in my plant QT tank. I don't want to kill it, but I've seen a snail infestation and it ain't pretty.

is it definitely a nuisance snail? If it is I wouldn't hesitate to kill it myself, I had an infestation in my aquaclear filter once. It took me a while to get rid of them entirely but I did it. What kind of plants are they?
I don't know for sure, the seller was selling nerites so I suppose it could be a nerite. It's tiny and brown. The plants are vesuvius swords, an anubias, and some bacopa. There are no fish in the QT so I didn't bother with a filter or a heater. Come to think of it, I didn't condition the water, either. That is one hardy snail!

Can I see a pic of it? I can tell you if it is a nerite or not. 

022_zpszlm795bu.jpg

This pvc water bridge cost more than my 2 75gs combined! (6" diameter is expensive x.x ) but it won't shatter or leak like a glass water bridge might (also making a glass water bridge for 2 tanks at a 90 degree angle is a pain!)

Wow! I would love to see pictures!

Yes, absolutely, as soon as I can find it again.

:doh11: That's what I forgot! Was supposed to bring home pizza! :hide: 

I really like that moment when I get home and get to sit down and watch the fish. :heart

I caught it! I think it's probably definitely a pest snail, but I'm hoping it's not. While we're at it, is that a bug in the top of the picture? Do you know what it is? If it is, I might burn the entire lot and stick with silk plants. Yes, I am that much of a wuss.

f1323fab3917dbec50fafe1b733158e2.jpg

Edited by Mothercrow

I am pretty sure it is a nuisance snail. I would recommend a PP soak for four hours. That should kill any bacteria and or pests. :)

Actually its a bladder snail, but many people call both pond and bladder snails just 'pond snail'.

photo to show difference between pond and bladder snail

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/prissmonster/aquaria/9e930a0b.jpg

Its considered a pest snail but I don't mind them in my tanks as they eat uneaten fish food, dead plant matter, diatoms (aka brown algae), biofilm (if you don't have surface agitation/flow), and even the fungus that grows on newly submerged driftwood.

They only explode in population when 1 or more of the food sources is in abundance.

I don't know if all goldfish will but I noticed mine eat them.

If you want them gone you can buy a pack of "No Planaria" online, its made from a nut extract that has a neat side effect of killing snails (harmless to fish, shrimp, and plants).

Not 100% sure on the bug above it but it looks a bit like a Damselfly or Dragonfly nymph

http://www.troutnut.com/im_regspec/picture_1525_medium.jpg

http://www.troutnut.com/im_regspec/picture_1107_medium.jpg

If you want a good creeping out google "Bugs you might encounter in your aquarium", plenty of macro shots of a lot of nasty creepy crawlies

Edited by AquaAurora

I'm already set up for nightmares of my tanks exploding, I don't need to be seeing creepy crawlies too!  :hide:

I'm already set up for nightmares of my tanks exploding, I don't need to be seeing creepy crawlies too!   :hide:

I have nightmares of over stocked tanks or finding forgotten fish that I've not fed in over a month

Just finished dinner. My tummy is nice and full.

:hi Morning everyone

:hi

Im working again, lol. Break at work seems to be the only time i come on here!

I don't get breaks :rofl my break is when customers aren't in the store which at times can be a half hour or longer depending on the day and weather lol

I don't get breaks :rofl my break is when customers aren't in the store which at times can be a half hour or longer depending on the day and weather lol

In which case, i would never get a break Haha.