Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Arctic Mama

Wonder Shells! One of my favorite aquarium additives.

Okay, I will definitely try this :) Thank you!

I put one small (fish bowl size) wonder shell in my 20g betta tank. The American Aquarium Products web page said that bettas sometimes find the shells distressing at first so I went small the first time. It lets off one bubble about every second, which aggravates my betta to no end. He chased the bubbles up then danced around in frustration when they disappeared. I hope it helps him heal faster, as he's still recovering from fin nipping that he did in the store. The goldies are next, after tonight's water change.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Edited by Mothercrow

Added one to each tank during tonight's wc's . :peeka

Edited by TikiLola

Now that the shell is long gone, the babies still seem happy, but not as much. I'm confident that these make my babies happier. I've gotta find a way to keep them around. My main fish tank is the heaviest on stocking and my tap water is barely safe to drink lol.

Do you have any dead spots at the top of the tank? Maybe you could put one in a shower caddy near the top someplace? Like this:

4c4bde02-8d31-4dbd-ad4a-2ba44ba42781_1.a

Hmm. I'll have to see. My tank has a lid so Idk if there's space for one of those.

Hmm. I'll have to see. My tank has a lid so Idk if there's space for one of those.

It attaches with suction cups so it could fit right below the lid.

Gotcha. I'll check the current and see if there's a gap that may be appropriate.

Chris here... I added a Supper sized Wonder Shell to my 40 gallon tank on 10/19... Today I did my weekly WC... This is the size of the shell today... Is this the normal break down time frame for the shell??? Or should I be doing some thing different??? :idont Thanks!!!

2E73B4DB-5D33-4D78-9A9B-3C3BB25A8FC8_zps

Thanks for reminding me! I added a supersize to the 75 and the 55 on 10/11. It was all but gone yesterday(totally gone today)10/25in the 75 and about a 1 inch chunk is left in the 55. Exactly 2 weeks in the 75.  

The 75 has 2 airstones and a 32 gallon garbage can as a filter. With a smaller airstone in the filter.

The 55 has an aqueon 55/75 on one end and a large sponge filter on the other.

The one I put with Citrine is almost gone after like 4 days and the pond sized one I put in main is greatly diminished, too. They seem to help, but I will give up on them. Mine just dissolve too fast. They're dissolving faster this time than last time just randomly. Unfortunate.

Mine in the 10 gallon is still there :o it's been almost 20 days. It's small but there lol

In my 36 gallon tank it takes about a 1/2 a week to dissolve in my tank. I keep it in the most lowest current area I can find :)

Chris here... Thanks!!! I have two more, so I'll be trying again and in an alternate location in the tank, to see if I can extend its time... :happydance

Just checked the one in the 10g. It was the tiniest one and still has about half left, but there is only a bubbler in that tank.

Flow makes a difference but so does chemistry. A tank with poor redox will exhaust the shell faster than one with high redox potential. It's not the most cost effective for everyone but unfortunately the cruddier the water the more you likely benefit from them.

Flow makes a difference but so does chemistry. A tank with poor redox will exhaust the shell faster than one with high redox potential. It's not the most cost effective for everyone but unfortunately the cruddier the water the more you likely benefit from them.

true hun, forgot about that.. My water has alot of GH to it but not much KH so there you go :)

oh and Im salty water too :)

Yes, I have no KH or GH to speak of but I do buffer with baking soda and Seachem Equilibrium. Since my pH is already 8.8 off the charts from the tap, the baking soda either lowers it a tad or has no effect on it. These dissolve very fast for me. Lasted like 6 days the first time, but much less the second time. I often see ammonia in the tap, as well ranging from .25 ppm to almost 1 ppm and then sometimes I see none at all. I've seen 5 ppm nitrates one time, but never saw it again. My water is bad stuff, but its definitely not economical for me to use these. Having to use them twice a week in some cases definitely isn't going to work. Sad, I really think they'd help out in the long run.

The one in the 55 is about the size of half a thumb nail and the one in the 10g is under half, over 1/4. The one in the 75 has been long gone. (almost a week)

I tested the gH and kH of my tap water last night and they are both around 50-60 :doh11: I need a wonder shell for the 55 quite badly and then mymwonder shell in the ten gallon is i think finally gone. It may be the one of a dime right now, or completely gone :rofl