Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Arctic Mama

Wonder Shells! One of my favorite aquarium additives.

It's weird because the effects are subtle. The fish seem happier, sure, but the higher disease resistance and stability I notice more over time. Less 'random illness' and fin/wen funkiness with no explanation. Less hanging out at the top or bottom. It's nothing super dramatic so much as an absense of issues.

My wonder shells came today. KH is at 4dKH, is it safe to add the wonder shells? Does the KH need to be at a certain level, or am I confused?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

You're confused :). Even in a very mineral rich tank it still won't hurt, but you may find you need to add additional buffering with baking soda along with the shell to get everything in the right ranges.

It's weird because the effects are subtle. The fish seem happier, sure, but the higher disease resistance and stability I notice more over time. Less 'random illness' and fin/wen funkiness with no explanation. Less hanging out at the top or bottom. It's nothing super dramatic so much as an absense of issues.

It's still there, but it's about quarter sized like you said now. Placement did help. It lasted about 6 days. They're pretty (expensive) and I already have to use expensive Seachem Equilibrium on a 55 gallon tank, 70 gallon porch pond, and two 20 gallon tanks. There's no way I can afford to use these for everyone, but I'm glad to see that moving it does help it last longer. I can't even afford to just use them on the main 55 either, but I will buy one every now and again. My babies are very spunky to begin with, but I DO think they felt the effects of this.

You're confused :). Even in a very mineral rich tank it still won't hurt, but you may find you need to add additional buffering with baking soda along with the shell to get everything in the right ranges.

I have only a vague understanding of KH. But I'm lucky, I think, because once I got my KH above 2dKH, my pH stabilized between 7.4 - 7.6 and hasn't changed, while I'm hearing that pH typically goes up when KH goes up. Do you have a suggestion for someplace I could learn more? Water chemistry is turning out to be one of those things that I struggle to learn. (But I could crochet you anything you ever asked for, so there's that. )

It's still there, but it's about quarter sized like you said now. Placement did help. It lasted about 6 days. They're pretty (expensive) and I already have to use expensive Seachem Equilibrium on a 55 gallon tank, 70 gallon porch pond, and two 20 gallon tanks. There's no way I can afford to use these for everyone, but I'm glad to see that moving it does help it last longer. I can't even afford to just use them on the main 55 either, but I will buy one every now and again. My babies are very spunky to begin with, but I DO think they felt the effects of this.
Is there a reason you don't use Replenish? It is cheaper and the only difference is that it contains some sodium (I think). The sodium is not great for plants but I think plants hardy enough for goldfish can also tolerate the little sodium Replenish adds.

That being said I get my Wonder Shells at Pet Supplies Plus (a national chain with a small but still decent fish supply section) and they are almost half the price they are online. Plus if you sign up for their card they send you $5 off anything coupons once in a while. I just got 2 giant shells for $1.02! Score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Butterfly

Nope. No specific reason. Equilibrium is the first thing I was told to use and it has worked so didn't really look about. Pet supplies plus... Never heard of. I will look and see if there's one near me. Thanks!

PS - don't really have many plants anyway.

Ok, guys, how is everything going with everyone's wonder shells? Mine came in and I was going to throw one in each tank after my next weekly wc, but wanted to check in first. ;)

I put one in my ten gallon the other night. I will say the water "looks" clearer. I don't know if it's a placebo kinda thing going on with my eyes after reading or if it actually made the water clearer. I have the wecco brand in my tank, I didn't expect to get it, but I saw it at a pet store and figured why not. I didn't read the article until now and I put the whole thing in already :doh11: the fish seem okay though at least.

I'm going to ask my boss to get two of the pond sized ones so I can put one in each fish system. She can get the pond size from our distributor for around 2 bucks each. I think it would be worth it especially with all the feeder fish that go in and out of the goldfish system.

Edited by Mikey

I have to shame-facedly admit that mine arrived but are still sitting in the box. My lame excuse is that my daughter went nuts trying to get a new tank for her betta, plus I'm somehow running the school craft fair and my plane tickets for three weeks from now got messed up, so I'm distracted. Is that too lame? I've got more excuses in my pocket. Poor fishies. I'll stop neglecting them today.

Question: I'm having trouble with the filter in the new betta tank (it sucks) and I couldn't transfer biomedia, just stick it in the tank and hoped. Can I put the wonder shells in an uncycled tank, in case the cycle doesn't hold? It might be a moot point, because if it gives me too much trouble then I'm giving her my extra sponge filter. But I'm still curious.

Thanks!

Edited by Mothercrow

My boss ordered two pond sized ones for our fish systems :flex: ones a 320 gallon and the other is 210 gallons. These are gonna go in the sump and watch the magic lol

Maybe this will keep the feeder fish we get in healthier. Our distributors take terrible care of them.

Went to Pet Supermarket. They don't carry the shells at all and never have. Unfortunate.

I can't find them locally at all, I just order bulk online since even if they were around here the shells wouldn't be cheaper.

I can't find them locally at all, I just order bulk online since even if they were around here the shells wouldn't be cheaper.

is wecco an okay brand to use? I can get them very cheap with my discount at my pet store.

That's what they are - Wecco Wonder Shells :)

Oh okay cool!

Do you think they will help the fish systems at my store?

Where can I find the pond size? Mine dissolve kinda fast and this may be better.

The Wonder Shell has been in the sump since 9/26.  It's been almost 2 weeks and I've got a little over a 1/4 of the shell left.  I have a few extras so when it gets a bit smaller I can plop a new one in to keep things going.

Where can I find the pond size? Mine dissolve kinda fast and this may be better.

i ordered mine from my work. Try Amazon maybe?

Could not find the pond size there. Will check again.

Oh yay thanks. I had the SUPER one. This one is bigger. Will try.

Now that the shell is long gone, the babies still seem happy, but not as much. I'm confident that these make my babies happier. I've gotta find a way to keep them around. My main fish tank is the heaviest on stocking and my tap water is barely safe to drink lol.

Edited by mjfromga

Oh yay thanks. I had the SUPER one. This one is bigger. Will try.

this is where I ordered mine....

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-water-conditioners/11442-505234/weco-wonder-shell.html

Got a box worth when they where on sale :teehee

Mikey - it actually seems to be my more acidic Amazon tank that benefits the most. Again, available minerals for osmotic function in fish is crucial regardless of species, and these are great because they don't change the pH like baking soda. So yes, I'd look into putting them in the tank for three or four months as a trial period and see if you are trying healtheir and more robust animals compared to the normal stock conditions with them in the water. That should be enough time to tell.