Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Arctic Mama

Wonder Shells! One of my favorite aquarium additives.

Hi, Chris here.... Would these shells be a positive add to to a tank that is higher PH... My PH 8.0 with a tap of 8.2... I am running some peat moss to get the PH at a better balance... The reading I have done so far speaks to a lower PH conditions... Thanks so much... :hummm

They don't change pH, and the benefit is primarily in adding stability and redox to a tank that is softer in general hardness. Acidity and alkalinit can be associated with harder and softer water but isn't exactly it - the amount of available minerals in the water for osmotic regulation in the fish is at issue.

Here is THE primer I recommend on the topic of redox. You can decide whether your tank would benefit or not. My goldfish tank is 7.8 with good hardness and I still use them, but it's up to you:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Redox_Potential.html

Hi, Chris here.... Would these shells be a positive add to to a tank that is higher PH... My PH 8.0 with a tap of 8.2... I am running some peat moss to get the PH at a better balance... The reading I have done so far speaks to a lower PH conditions... Thanks so much... :hummm

They don't change pH, and the benefit is primarily in adding stability and redox to a tank that is softer in general hardness. Acidity and alkalinit can be associated with harder and softer water but isn't exactly it - the amount of available minerals in the water for osmotic regulation in the fish is at issue.

Here is THE primer I recommend on the topic of redox. You can decide whether your tank would benefit or not. My goldfish tank is 7.8 with good hardness and I still use them, but it's up to you:http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Redox_Potential.html

Thanks so much... I will read to see if it's something that will add to the health of my tank... :)

Thanks for the linky and review!  I'm going to check out the website, read the articles, and sponge for a while :)

Thanks for the linky and review! I'm going to check out the website, read the articles, and sponge for a while :)

His articles are fantastic. Really. That the advice hasn't actually failed me yet is just a bonus :P

Wonder shells aren't the only thing I've gleaned from there and love, but it may be the most economical!

I've used these with success. 

The problem I have with them is there is almost no information about what is in them. I've used the medicated and the regular.

I've tried to call them! They don't want contact.

Thanks for the linky and review! I'm going to check out the website, read the articles, and sponge for a while :)

His articles are fantastic. Really. That the advice hasn't actually failed me yet is just a bonus :P

Wonder shells aren't the only thing I've gleaned from there and love, but it may be the most economical!

Taryl, I got it and put it in. Might I ask...

Does the dissolve rate look basically the same for every tank? IE - does mine look like yours. It's very "fizzly". It did this last time, too. In any case, it's in and now I will check how it looks every day.

Edited by mjfromga

Does the dissolve rate look basically the same for every tank? IE - does mine look like yours. It's very "fizzly". It did this last time, too. In any case, it's in and now I will check how it looks every day.

Sorry, I'm heading out of town and away from all internet - I didn't see this. Yes, mine bubbles a bit until it is fully saturated, usually 15-20 minutes :)

Sorry, I'm heading out of town and away from all internet - I didn't see this. Yes, mine bubbles a bit until it is fully saturated, usually 15-20 minutes :)

Well, it's been a bit under 3 days and it's dissolved a lot more than yours are, but the placement did help a ton as it's still quite a lot left.

IMG_20160926_092737_zpsmhl350gc.jpg

I ordered a few wonder shells to try.  I have one Super Size shell hanging out in an inconspicuous location in the sump as of yesterday.  So far so good :)  I'll be curious to see how long it takes to dissolve.

That does look better Myra - tally the total days until you have about a quarter coin sized nub left. If it's in the 10-14 range that's about right, if it's faster I'd say it's going to be helpful but not as cost effective as some other additives.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I really want to use these as I think because I have such BAD water, it'll help the 3 babies in the tank, so hopefully it'll last a bit longer still. Now - just to rehash, these will raise KH, but I still need Seachem Equilibrium for GH, right?

I put crushed coral in my tank, and it raised the GH more than the KH. I thought that was normal. Is this not the case?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I really want to use these as I think because I have such BAD water, it'll help the 3 babies in the tank, so hopefully it'll last a bit longer still. Now - just to rehash, these will raise KH, but I still need Seachem Equilibrium for GH, right?

The shells don't generally raise kH or pH, but rather they make positive minerals ions available for reactions in the water. For any real buffering or hardness other buffers should be used. That's why I really like the shells - they improve the water'/ quality for aquatic life without appreciably affecting the basic water parameters and potentially stressing the fish. It should show up on a gH test though and definitely on a redox meter.

Here is some explanation:

Increasing GH Readings as per Tests

Often when an aquarium keeper only “tops off” for evaporation or performs inadequate/small water changes the GH may actually climb in areas of hard water.

This does not indicate a healthy aquarium, rather quite the opposite as the small amount of mineral ions that are added via “top offs” or small water changes will not keep up with depletion even though your GH test shows a climbing GH (General Hardness).

Using the auto/RV battery example again; simply throwing more lead into your battery may increase lead content, but does not necessarily increase the electrical charge.

The bottom line is adequate water changes (but not necessarily large in a mature/healthy aquarium) often along with mineral supplements are required in a closed aquarium/pond to keep healthy ionization in your aquarium/pond and a stable GH is an indicator of this, not a climbing GH (although many supplements will increase GH until water changes).

Context is this page:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumKH.html#depletion

But I'm seeing this in my own tank right now - due to what looks like a rainwater issue in our water source, our tap water has become softer in the last week or two, and the wonder shells can't keep up with overall soft but alkaline water. I'm going to need to buffer additionally until my hardness comes back up so I don't have an unstable pH, but thankfully my fish didn't suffer except for some split fins and pale coloration due to a big pH drop while I was out of town :o

My water is pretty horrible. 1-2 drops on both KH and GH test kit. A pH of 8.8 on high range, and a pH drop down to like 6.7 or so in 24 hours when left out. Really bad. I do buffer with baking soda and GH booster and I'm sure my water could really use these, but I just can't afford to use them because they don't last long enough. I will try again and put it far away from the current (pretty strong in my tank, Helen has warned me to lessen it a few times, which I've tried). I have a fish bowl in the corner of the tank which doesn't get current. I'll try it in there and count how long it lasts.

Man, I just read this again. What awful water! The fact that your fish do as well as they do is a lot of hard work and care from you, I know.

I'd doubly recommend the shells if we can make them last, but additional hardness boosters/buffers would probably be a big help. I wouldn't rely on baking soda alone since your water starts out so alkaline, but maybe experiment with ratios of the more expansive butters to the baking soda to find a sweet spot where you're able to use some at least? You may find that cheaper.

Well, I don't know what you've already tried, so forgive me for being a busybody. But my tap water is 2 dKH and 3 dGH straight from the faucet. I noticed that my pH was dropping --I have a pH alert on my tank--and I was advised to add crushed coral, which I've been doing slowly. I just took a test from my 20g betta tank, and it's at 4dKH and 6dGH. I hope you find this of some help, and if not, please know that I was sincerely trying to help.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

It depends on the hardness problem but crushed coral can help. I already use oolitic sand in my filters and can't take any higher pH without it bugging my fish when I do a water change though :). It can be a help though, certainly!

My water is pretty horrible. 1-2 drops on both KH and GH test kit. A pH of 8.8 on high range, and a pH drop down to like 6.7 or so in 24 hours when left out. Really bad. I do buffer with baking soda and GH booster and I'm sure my water could really use these, but I just can't afford to use them because they don't last long enough. I will try again and put it far away from the current (pretty strong in my tank, Helen has warned me to lessen it a few times, which I've tried). I have a fish bowl in the corner of the tank which doesn't get current. I'll try it in there and count how long it lasts.

Man, I just read this again. What awful water! The fact that your fish do as well as they do is a lot of hard work and care from you, I know.

I'd doubly recommend the shells if we can make them last, but additional hardness boosters/buffers would probably be a big help. I wouldn't rely on baking soda alone since your water starts out so alkaline, but maybe experiment with ratios of the more expansive butters to the baking soda to find a sweet spot where you're able to use some at least? You may find that cheaper.

It's really bad out here. I am able to drop pH to 8.2 minimum with baking soda. Usually like 8.4 or so though and sometimes its nearly that 8.8. It's pretty tough to keep the pH from dropping drastically, especially out in the pond. Had a dip after a huge rain maybe a month ago, but all the babies did fine thankfully. Idk what else to use at this point. The Seachem Equilibrium seems to help (it's, how you say, the expensive?) and I still use baking soda and pay close attention to pH and I don't usually get swings. I'm hoping the shells will help my babies. Edited by mjfromga

Excuse all the autocorrect typos I just noticed in my post. Yeesh. Keep reporting in and let us know how it goes for you.

Lol - I hate autocorrect. I don't think "butters" would be so good for my fish. Haha! But I certainly will keep an eye on the shell and see how long it lasts.

Has anyone seen the breeding activity? I really want to try these shells, but I don't want to encourage breeding, especially in one of my tanks. It's overstocked (which I handle with extra wc's) but, I don't want to push my luck.

Has anyone seen the breeding activity? I really want to try these shells, but I don't want to encourage breeding, especially in one of my tanks. It's overstocked (which I handle with extra wc's) but, I don't want to push my luck.

Well with Mollies Im not having a problem at all :teehee

She said she DIDN'T want to encourage breeding, Koko.

Edited by Mothercrow

She said she DIDN'T want to encourage breeding, Koko.

I know :lol

Jumped off the fence!   :peeka Ordered the super size and mini's.