Ree

Which houseplants are goldfish safe?

31 posts in this topic

I have a beautiful little ryukin with swimbladder isses, so i need to put her in a large shallow tank. Unfortunately that is not in my budget at the moment, so im thinking of getting a largish underbed tub and doing an indoor pond. I wanted to be able to put another fish in with her, but im worried the nitrates will climb too quickly.

My tub can be max 50x90cm amd she can manage up to 30cm high at the moment. Im hopping to gradually raise this to equal the main tank over two to three months.

So my idea was to add some baskets to the edge of the "pond" filled with gravel and have a few houseplants growing in them. I have no idea what would be safe though. These will be in the pond so she will have access to the roots, and i dont want to poison her!

The "pond" is situated infront of a large southern window, and being in the southern hemisphere gets good indirect light all year round.

So i have two questions...

Which houseplants wont kill my Belle and be safe for her to munch on the roots of?

Do i add an airstone at the bottom of each basket prior to filling with gravel? Or is this unnecessary?

Im going plant shopping in aprox 10 hours so i thought i should be a little forarmed with knowledge.

Thankyou!

Hello! Sorry to hear that Belle is having problems. It is awesome you have decided to work around her problems. As for plants, i have spider plants, coleus, ivy and some sort of plant with leaves like an indoor lily in my tank. I also have pothos, which i know is unsafe for pets- and you have a cat, right? I suppose it really depends on how likely your kitty is to eat said plants. I know that AquaAurora has tons of plants and could surely give some better suggestions. Whatever you end up with, just make sure you give us loooots of pictures!

Put your plants in pots of gravel, or better, hydroponic grow media.  If the pots are tall enough to rise above the water level, most houseplants will thrive.  I don't know of any houseplants with roots toxic to fish.  If one did have toxins in the roots, it would taste bad and the fish wouldn't take more then one nibble.  

You can use the plants most effectively if you put them in a container -- like a window box planter -- on a "bench" above the tub.  Use a powerhead or small fountain pump to pump tank water into the top of the planter and use holes at the bottom to drain it back into the tank.  Vines grow well in fish water, and the faster they grow the more nitrate they remove.  Then you don't have to worry about fish eating the roots.

Underbed tubs usually are about 15 cm high.  In my experience and that of others, you can easily keep two fish in a shallow container like this with the surface area you have indicated.  

Hello! Sorry to hear that Belle is having problems. It is awesome you have decided to work around her problems. As for plants, i have spider plants, coleus, ivy and some sort of plant with leaves like an indoor lily in my tank. I also have pothos, which i know is unsafe for pets- and you have a cat, right? I suppose it really depends on how likely your kitty is to eat said plants. I know that AquaAurora has tons of plants and could surely give some better suggestions. Whatever you end up with, just make sure you give us loooots of pictures!

Thanks Emilie! Thats what i needed! Didnt know pothos is toxic to cats, thanks for thinking of that, ill have to research. Ill try to get lots of pictures for you! ❤

Put your plants in pots of gravel, or better, hydroponic grow media.  If the pots are tall enough to rise above the water level, most houseplants will thrive.  I don't know of any houseplants with roots toxic to fish.  If one did have toxins in the roots, it would taste bad and the fish wouldn't take more then one nibble.  

You can use the plants most effectively if you put them in a container -- like a window box planter -- on a "bench" above the tub.  Use a powerhead or small fountain pump to pump tank water into the top of the planter and use holes at the bottom to drain it back into the tank.  Vines grow well in fish water, and the faster they grow the more nitrate they remove.  Then you don't have to worry about fish eating the roots.

Underbed tubs usually are about 15 cm high.  In my experience and that of others, you can easily keep two fish in a shallow container like this with the surface area you have indicated.

Thanks so much Sharon! Hadnt thought of overhead bulkhead type arrangement. I might just try the in water with a section above so that roots dont rot, and if this looks like a permanent solution for her and she just can not cope with deeper water, then ill get a powerhead and do the bulkhead! I dont have access to the hydraponics beads in my area, but i can get cheap gravel. Thankyou so much for your support. I was worried this might be a bad idea!

I keep a lot of house plants with roots in water and leaves above (riparium style) on several tanks.  I've not had issues with root eating so I can't say for sure which re dangerous..a s far as for cats and dogs to ingest most of them are poisonous.  If you're worried about  roots being eaten try using terra cotta pots instead of shower caddies to contain the roots more.

Here is a list from my riparium plant list thread on another forum (this is not everything but what I and some other members have successfully used).

Dwarf Palm Neanthe Bella
Wandering Jew (Tradescantia__(few varieties))
Fittonia
Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum)
Pothos
Altherna (Scarlet Temple)
Prayer plant (Maranta)
Helxine soleirolii
Aloe
Croton various
Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena braunii)
Dragon's Tongue (Hemigraphis repanda)
Purple waffle (Hemigraphis colorata 'Exotica')
Chinese evergreen (Aglaonema)
Polka-dot plant (Hypoestes phyllostachya)
Raspberry Swirl Joseph's Coat (Alternanthera ficoidea 'Raspberry Swirl')
Sweet Flag
Heart leaf philodendron (Philodendron cordatum)
Arrowhead plant (Sagittaria___)
Ruellia brittoniana 'Katie'
Coleus
Maidenhair fern
Dwarf Lobelia cardinal
Friendship Plant (Pilea involucrata)
Aluminum plant (Pilea Cadierei)
Anthurium
Dwarf Cyperus
Laguncularia white mangrove
Star Grass, Ajuga "chocolate chip"
Pilea cadierei "pan am"
Pilea cadierei minima "aluminum"
Wedelia trilobata
Selaginella sp gold
Lidard's tail (Saururus cernuus)
African violet (Saintpaulia sp.)

Emersed aquatic plants: (some may need higher humidity than others)
Brazillian Pennywort
Hygro Corymbosa "compact"
Ludwigia Repens
Hygrophila Augustifolia
Crypt wendtii
Ludwigia peruensis
Hygrophila tiger
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Baby tears
Java moss
Lindernia
Bacopa salzamannii
Lysimachia nummularia
Glosso
Wide leaf water sprite
Myriophylum
Hydrocotyle japan

Edited by AquaAurora

I keep a lot of house plants with roots in water and leaves above (riparium style) on several tanks.  I've not had issues with root eating so I can't say for sure which re dangerous..a s far as for cats and dogs to ingest most of them are poisonous.  If you're worried about  roots being eaten try using terra cotta pots instead of shower caddies to contain the roots more.

Thankyou so much Aqua Aurora! Thats a great list! I might just have to make sure the Puddy cant reach them. Hes very good and doesnt climb on benches, hes not allowed. But he loves sitting in windowsills. Maybe if i keep the lace curtain between him and the plants might work!

Thankyou so much again... now to google i will go!

Ok, i think ive narrowed it down to these commonly avaliable plants which are suposedly (dont take my word for it) cat safe and from the list above....

Maidenhair fern

Spider plant

Aluminum or any pileas

Fittonia, nerve plant

Prayer plant, maranta

Babys tears

Wandering jew

Antherium

We will see what happens here goes nothing!

The spaths, pothos and many of the others are poisonous to cats apparently. Im not 100% sure on the antherium, so ill place it where Fuddles cant get it.

Thanks so much guys and gals for all your help!

Ok, i think ive narrowed it down to these commonly avaliable plants which are suposedly (dont take my word for it) cat safe and from the list above....

Maidenhair fern

Spider plant

Aluminum or any pileas

Fittonia, nerve plant

Prayer plant, maranta

Babys tears

Wandering jew

Antherium

We will see what happens here goes nothing!

The spaths, pothos and many of the others are poisonous to cats apparently. Im not 100% sure on the antherium, so ill place it where Fuddles cant get it.

Thanks so much guys and gals for all your help!

I'm not sure how humidity is by you but I want to note maiden hair fern likes its humidity (my house at 50% (probably higher by tank)) wasn't enough for it.  A spray bottle with some tap or distilled water misted 103x a day depending on humidity levels is a big help.

The pilea species (aluminum,friendship, etc) really appreciate good lighting and grow bushier/lower leaves last longer in a strong light.  When you trim and replant clippings it wilts bad just give it time it'll bounce back.

Wondering jew is a vine like pothos, but unlike pothos its vine is weak and it will drop from its own weight as it grows, you can trim an replant if you don't like the low hanging vine, or give it a trellis to climb on (or just a simple anchored rope/fishing line to wrap the vine around).  It does NOT like having its leaves wet-leaves will melt if splashed constantly by filter outflow for example).

I like Fittonia, no fuss with it. 

I have baby tears (sold as Helxine soleirolii aka Soleirolia soleirolii) on my Aquaclear 70 HOB, its gotten HUGE-its right under a a 13 watt 6500k cfl bulb).

4/1/15

003_zpsklotydej.jpg

4/5/16 (its even bigger now!)

006_zpswlbgrst9.jpg

007_zpskxrw0wqv.jpg

009_zpsre6e1s3h.jpg

010_zpshqqh7apn.jpg

Wish pothos was pet safe, its a real nitrate buster!

Ok, i think ive narrowed it down to these commonly avaliable plants which are suposedly (dont take my word for it) cat safe and from the list above....Maidenhair fernSpider plantAluminum or any pileasFittonia, nerve plantPrayer plant, marantaBabys tearsWandering jewAntheriumWe will see what happens here goes nothing!The spaths, pothos and many of the others are poisonous to cats apparently. Im not 100% sure on the antherium, so ill place it where Fuddles cant get it.Thanks so much guys and gals for all your help!

I'm not sure how humidity is by you but I want to note maiden hair fern likes its humidity (my house at 50% (probably higher by tank)) wasn't enough for it.  A spray bottle with some tap or distilled water misted 103x a day depending on humidity levels is a big help. The pilea species (aluminum,friendship, etc) really appreciate good lighting and grow bushier/lower leaves last longer in a strong light.  When you trim and replant clippings it wilts bad just give it time it'll bounce back. Wondering jew is a vine like pothos, but unlike pothos its vine is weak and it will drop from its own weight as it grows, you can trim an replant if you don't like the low hanging vine, or give it a trellis to climb on (or just a simple anchored rope/fishing line to wrap the vine around).  It does NOT like having its leaves wet-leaves will melt if splashed constantly by filter outflow for example). I like Fittonia, no fuss with it.  I have baby tears (sold as Helxine soleirolii aka Soleirolia soleirolii) on my Aquaclear 70 HOB, its gotten HUGE-its right under a a 13 watt 6500k cfl bulb). 4/1/15003_zpsklotydej.jpg 4/5/16 (its even bigger now!)006_zpswlbgrst9.jpg007_zpskxrw0wqv.jpg009_zpsre6e1s3h.jpg010_zpshqqh7apn.jpg Wish pothos was pet safe, its a real nitrate buster!

Thanks so much again Aqua Aurora! This info is very helpful!

Humidity in our house is usually okish, ive got a maidenhair fern thats just outside near the shed and its flourishing. We live right by the ocean so thats a big help. We do have airconditioning though so ill do lots of misting when its on.

Thanks so much for the growing tips! Very much appreciated!

Pothos is extremely safe for most animals - do you have a cat who would eat it? They're great for fish. The list above includes any I'd have recommended :)

Pothos is extremely safe for most animals - do you have a cat who would eat it? They're great for fish. The list above includes any I'd have recommended :)

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/golden-pothos

Toxicity: Toxic to Dogs, Toxic to Cats
Toxic Principles: Insoluble calcium oxalates
Clinical Signs: Oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty swallowing.

I put window screen mesh around the front of my 55g-where i have a ton of pothos hanging down in front of the tank (its on a low stand)- so the puppy doesn't make a meal of it.  Hoping by the time she's past the teething stage she'll listen to "leave it" and mot mess with the plants.

Take a bite of a pothos leaf.  If it has a significant amount of oxalic acid you will see why your pet won't taste it more than once. 

Thanks Taryl, Im a bit warry because all the information i have says its an issue, but ill just try to keep it out of the Fuddlers way.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/golden-pothos

Toxicity: Toxic to Dogs, Toxic to Cats

Toxic Principles: Insoluble calcium oxalates

Clinical Signs: Oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty swallowing.

I put window screen mesh around the front of my 55g-where i have a ton of pothos hanging down in front of the tank (its on a low stand)- so the puppy doesn't make a meal of it.  Hoping by the time she's past the teething stage she'll listen to "leave it" and mot mess with the plants.

Thanks AquaArurora! Fud is pretty good and stops anything hes doing as soon as i say "No!". Ill keep it way from him just incase though.

Take a bite of a pothos leaf.  If it has a significant amount of oxalic acid you will see why your pet won't taste it more than once.

OOO I think it wont taste good! I hope hes a sensible cat and doesnt develop a taste for the disgusting! Thanks Sharon!

Okies, i have a tub and Belles now in it YAY! It holds 140L full, and ive filled it to 95L for her at the moment. It wasnt as big a footprint as i would have liked, but was the biggest i could find. Ive got her filter and airstones in, made a little fountain by removing the filter spraybar. My good friend is jokingly calling it 'The Spa'. ROFL

20160915_215037_zpslhddbfil.jpg

I found these shower caddys which should work i hope, and have massive suction cups on them, and lots of holes in the baskets. I think i should have gotten more of them! DOH!

20160915_215140_zpskek5a15c.jpg

The plants i got are a flamingo plant, or i think its also called Antherium? A varigated pothos, and a Strawberry Cream fern that looks like its related to the maidenhair fern. Its leaves are much larger than the maidenhair and new foliage has a pretty brown red colour. I think there are two more different pothos in the garden too i can pich some cutting of, and i know there is a traditional maidenhair fern out there too. Lets see if i can not kill them. LOL

20160915_215120_zpsprsdunvb.jpg

Edited by Ree

I want to try this too. Looming forward to progress.

Nice plants. I look forward to pictures of the final Spa!

Here are Rees plants! Photobucket isn't working properly for her so I uploaded them for her :D

j11Smyw.jpg

d6mswEU.jpg

1kuBEit.jpg

3a8NhaJ.jpg

s2wrZQQ.jpg

Thankies Mandy! ❤

The 'Spa de Belle' is officially open!

The suction cups didnt hold the weight so hubby wired the baskets on for me. The wire is above the waterline, but ill keep an eye on it for rust.

I used gravel in the bottom of the caddys, and then glass pebbles on top. I ran out of gravel. Was good i had a supply of pebbles from when i was mosaicking! Makes it look pretty too!

I have an airstone in each basket too, figured i would try it on slow to help with moving the water throughg to the roots, if its not needed ill just disconnect them later. Easier to add now than later. :)

Please excuse the Fuddler puddys pedestal! It cops a flogging!

You lucky [censor]! You get pothos n'joy locally?!!! I had to pay an arm and a leg for some pitiful little clipping, can't find it local here :c

FOr wire concerns go to your local hardwarehome improvment store adn get coated wire like this (comes on a spool):

013-20.jpg

has a rubber coating on the outside

Edited by AquaAurora

its rubber coated (sorry for spam post tried to edit past edit time)

You lucky [censor]! You get pothos n'joy locally?!!! I had to pay an arm and a leg for some pitiful little clipping, can't find it local here :c

It was $10.50... amongst all the other pothos. I didnt know it was rare! If Australia had laxer customs i could send you one!

FOr wire concerns go to your local hardwarehome improvment store adn get coated wire like this (comes on a spool):

013-20.jpg

has a rubber coating on the outside

Thanks for that! Ill get hubby to get some when he goes to town next week.

Its 6 hours later and no wilting at all and no dead fish... i hold my breath!

WOW very nice hun :thumbs:

WOW very nice hun :thumbs:

Thanks Koko! Hubby and i like it so much hes decided it can stay when belles good enough to go in the main tank, if. Ill bring in two of my pond buddies if shes ok.

You could also try some orchids, but you don't want them sitting in water. I've got mine on some wood with moss just above the water level. The moss wicks little bits of water up and keeps them happy. Every once in a while I'll mist the leaves. :)

Edited by dan in aus