Bmitchell486

Vietnamese Telescope Fry

64 posts in this topic

Well, I brought home some Vietnamese Telescope fry from the Goldfish Breeders Social event last weekend!  They were bred by Matt Lyon.  Another member took the majority, but didn't want the remaining ~35-40, so I figured I'd bring them home and try my hand at raising them.

From what I can tell, they look to be about a week old.  Matt showed me the pictures of their parents -- kirin.  I'll actually count them today (easy, since there aren't too many).  The pic below is from 2 days ago, when I had them in 6 inches of water in a cube container.  Yesterday, I moved them into a wide/long/shallow plastic container, depth of 4.5 - 5 inches. Will do a partial water change on them 1-2 times a day.

BBS are starting to hatch, should be able to feed them some tonight.  For the last few days, they've been eating Golden Pearls from brine shrimp direct (free samples, yeah!) and Hikari first bites.

I'll take new pics and post periodically.  If anyone has advice, feel free to share because this is my first time!

IMG_2150.jpg

Can't wait to see their progress

Wow!  

I like to keep my babies under duckweed.  Lots of tasty little critters, like rotifers, live on the duckweed plants for continuous nibbling, and duckweed also purifies the water.  

oohhhh fun!! :clapping:

Please keep us updated :D

Can't wait to see their progress

:D  Thanks! Me too... Hoping I do a good job.

oohhhh fun!! :clapping:

Please keep us updated :D

Will do!  :thumbs:

Wow!  

I like to keep my babies under duckweed.  Lots of tasty little critters, like rotifers, live on the duckweed plants for continuous nibbling, and duckweed also purifies the water.  

Yeah, I was thinking it would be good.  Got a handful from Gary -- of course it came complete with some nice algae, 2 shrimp, and a snail!  Had no idea.  Gary told me to rinse it for a good 2 minutes.... apparently the shrimp and snail are tough little guys bc they made it through the rinse in my sink!

Good luck with them.

Wow!  

Yeah, I was thinking it would be good.  Got a handful from Gary -- of course it came complete with some nice algae, 2 shrimp, and a snail!  Had no idea.  Gary told me to rinse it for a good 2 minutes.... apparently the shrimp and snail are tough little guys bc they made it through the rinse in my sink!

The shrimp was like.... AUCK Help me Im going to drown :rofl

How fun! I'd love to go to an event like that. And watching the fry grow is always fascinating. Here's to hoping you pull some nice juveniles from that batch!

Thanks everyone!!!

And yes Koko, I had no idea they were there or I wouldn't have rinsed them!!!! haha

This sounds really cool! Best of luck and I'm looking forward to the updates :clapping:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Speckles

Ah so cute! Cant wait to see their progress

Thanks everyone! 

Only a few BBS have hatched so far... boo.  It's been set up for 2 days.  I made a 1/2 batch -- 2.5 tsp of salt in 1/2 liter of water, with 1/8 tsp of brine shrimp eggs.  I've got an airline tube in there, and have a desk lamp on it to keep it warm.  I was just doing some more reading and realized I may have made a mistake by turning the lamp off at night.   Hoping to see them hatch by tonight or tomorrow morning.... If not, I guess I'll have to toss it and start over.

I must have messed something up with the original batch of BBS.  I tossed it, started fresh, and they were hatched in 18 hours.

I WAAAAAAYYYY overfed them last night, haha.  It's hard to know the right amount to feed.  But I'm getting the hang of it.  Doing water changes at least once a day to make sure my heavy handed feeding isn't threatening the water quality.  I'm glad duckweed is helping me out too! 

Also, I tried counting and I think I have closer to 25 fry (When they were bagged up, I guess there were 40).  I'm so surprised that not a single one has died yet (or if one has... the other babies ate it completely).  These guys came from WV, stayed in a holding tank for a weekend, I bagged them up with oxygen on Saturday evening and they stayed like that for 24 hours until I got them home on Sunday evening.  Then they didn't get any BBS for a week (only had the golden pearl food from brine shrimp direct).  I would have expected some to die, but these guys are hardy so far!   Let's hope I can keep them that way.  They all look healthy, except one is deformed and can't control itself while swimming... haven't pulled him out yet.

I want to try raising fry soo much. I've seen so many on here do it. It looks so fun. I've only got two adults in. Nericon and Rhonda, and only one confirmed male in baby Callisto so probably NOT happening, but sounds so fun. Good luck!

I want to try raising fry soo much. I've seen so many on here do it. It looks so fun. I've only got two adults in. Nericon and Rhonda, and only one confirmed male in baby Callisto so probably NOT happening, but sounds so fun. Good luck!

I was lucky to get some fry from a proven line from a great breeder.  Culling will not be as painful for me, I don't think, because these guys are all looking like they've got nice eyes, spines, and butterfly tails already.  I noticed 2 with twisted spines (and they also looked like they had just one little tail spine, or maybe they didn't even have tails at all, I'm not sure...) and they were struggling so I culled those guys.  

It's nice to get quality babies, so I don't feel the need to cull 80% or more due to deformities (which, I've read happens lots of times when breeding unknown bloodlines).  I know it's a necessity when it comes to goldfish, but doesn't make it any easier.

Took a few pics in the last week.  This is the container they're in ~3 gallons.  I think they need to be upgraded to a larger tote, as they've tripled in size in the last 2 weeks.  Even though I'm doing 50-75% water changes daily, don't think that's going to cut it.

IMG_2159.jpg

It's foggy due to the container.  Here they are about a week ago:

IMG_2232.jpg

They love hanging out in the duckweed, especially since the brine shrimp hang out up there due to the light

IMG_2245%201.jpg

You can see the brineshrimp in this pic pretty well (the little orange/pink dots along the side of the container)

IMG_2233.jpg

getting big :flex:

I was lucky to get some fry from a proven line from a great breeder. Culling will not be as painful for me, I don't think, because these guys are all looking like they've got nice eyes, spines, and butterfly tails already. I noticed 2 with twisted spines (and they also looked like they had just one little tail spine, or maybe they didn't even have tails at all, I'm not sure...) and they were struggling so I culled those guys.

It's nice to get quality babies, so I don't feel the need to cull 80% or more due to deformities (which, I've read happens lots of times when breeding unknown bloodlines). I know it's a necessity when it comes to goldfish, but doesn't make it any easier.

Well, I'd want some mixed fish that would all look different. Such as crossing a Ryukin with an Oranda. Who knows what you may end up with? Culling is natural as the small or deformed fish would not live in the wild anyway. Also, the spawning and egg collecting and etc is part of the experience. I wouldn't be looking for anything super quality, I'm more interested in the experience for now. And I'd have to cull a ton anyway as there's nowhere for them to go. I can't keep but 1-2 and there's nowhere else for me to send them. Petco will take unwanted fish to some degree, but won't take a ton and I wouldn't want them to take the fish anyway. Petcos here aren't very good at all.

Amoonklein got a spawn from her two Ryukins that were from a LFS and ended up with 60+ healthy fry so I think it can be luck of the draw sometimes, too.

Edited by mjfromga

I was lucky to get some fry from a proven line from a great breeder. Culling will not be as painful for me, I don't think, because these guys are all looking like they've got nice eyes, spines, and butterfly tails already. I noticed 2 with twisted spines (and they also looked like they had just one little tail spine, or maybe they didn't even have tails at all, I'm not sure...) and they were struggling so I culled those guys.

It's nice to get quality babies, so I don't feel the need to cull 80% or more due to deformities (which, I've read happens lots of times when breeding unknown bloodlines). I know it's a necessity when it comes to goldfish, but doesn't make it any easier.

Well, I'd want some mixed fish that would all look different. Such as crossing a Ryukin with an Oranda. Who knows what you may end up with? Culling is natural as the small or deformed fish would not live in the wild anyway. Also, the spawning and egg collecting and etc is part of the experience. I wouldn't be looking for anything super quality, I'm more interested in the experience for now. And I'd have to cull a ton anyway as there's nowhere for them to go. I can't keep but 1-2 and there's nowhere else for me to send them. Petco will take unwanted fish to some degree, but won't take a ton and I wouldn't want them to take the fish anyway. Petcos here aren't very good at all.

Amoonklein got a spawn from her two Ryukins that were from a LFS and ended up with 60+ healthy fry so I think it can be luck of the draw sometimes, too.

That's cool.  I think it'd be fun to see what the fry end up looking like too.  I've also seen super nice spawns from petstore goldfish.  But I've also seen people on fb that have lots of deformed fry and that would break my heart.  (I don't say that with an arrogant tone - all of my indoor goldfish are petstore fish and I love them with my whole heart!)

If I actually do a good job and raise these guys well, I plan to offer them to people here for free (just the cost of shipping), and other people in The Goldfish Council.   And the rest that aren't taken -- I've got a lfs near me that's more of a specialty store.  I've talked to them and they would let me bring any extras to them.

I agree -- the spawning and egg collection would be cool too. But if I were going to breed with the intent to sell, I'd have a LOT more eggs/fry, and I would have be strict while culling.  People who are paying for goldfish (and shipping) want excellence.  And we all only have "so much space" and want exciting fish that catch our eye -- be it a unique cross, or a healthy standard fish.  Most people (myself included) aren't interested in giving our tank space to fish with bad flaws.  I have several with what I consider to be minor flaws - single anals, a few ranchu with not-so-smooth backs, and I've got one with a deformed mouth.  But while I think these things are acceptable for my pets (because these flaws do not negatively impact their quality of life), most people will simply not pay for (or even take in for free) a fish with flaws.  And that is the #1 reason I haven't jumped in head first into breeding yet...

Thanks everyone!

Only a few BBS have hatched so far... boo. It's been set up for 2 days. I made a 1/2 batch -- 2.5 tsp of salt in 1/2 liter of water, with 1/8 tsp of brine shrimp eggs. I've got an airline tube in there, and have a desk lamp on it to keep it warm. I was just doing some more reading and realized I may have made a mistake by turning the lamp off at night. Hoping to see them hatch by tonight or tomorrow morning.... If not, I guess I'll have to toss it and start over.

Next time add a pinch of baking soda as well as leaving the lamp going all day and night.

For an upgraded container we raise most of our telescopes to juveniles in 20 gallon cement mixing tubs.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Black-Large-Concrete-Mixing-Tub-887102C/205451585

They take up a decent amount of floor space but for $12 it's great because it's a lot of surface area to move around in.

Thanks everyone!

Only a few BBS have hatched so far... boo. It's been set up for 2 days. I made a 1/2 batch -- 2.5 tsp of salt in 1/2 liter of water, with 1/8 tsp of brine shrimp eggs. I've got an airline tube in there, and have a desk lamp on it to keep it warm. I was just doing some more reading and realized I may have made a mistake by turning the lamp off at night. Hoping to see them hatch by tonight or tomorrow morning.... If not, I guess I'll have to toss it and start over.

Next time add a pinch of baking soda as well as leaving the lamp going all day and night.

For an upgraded container we raise most of our telescopes to juveniles in 20 gallon cement mixing tubs.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Black-Large-Concrete-Mixing-Tub-887102C/205451585

They take up a decent amount of floor space but for $12 it's great because it's a lot of surface area to move around in.

Yeah, I ended up adding 1/2 tsp epsom, and both of the new batches hatched in less than 18 hours!  I'll keep the baking soda in mind as well.

I like that tub.  I've got a 20 gallon tote, and a 10 gallon tote, but they are taller, with less surface area.  For $13, I think I'll stop by the home depot to pick one up!!!  I'm sure I'll need to spread them out even further in a few weeks though and still use my other tubs.

Thanks for the advice!

I wouldn't sell any fish with severe flaws, nobody would buy them anyway. I wouldn't breed fish with severe flaws, what sense does that make? Shembje has a fused tail, a really weak hump, and a missing anal fin. Randy has NO WEN and a missing anal fin. Omen has both anal fins, but missing a ventral fin. Small flaws that are expected of pet store fish.

My adults are both female. Rhonda is small, but for a Ryukin, pretty close to breed standard (except she has a ribbontail when most prefer broadtail or shorttail). I got her from Walmart last October for $2 and shes never been sick a day in her life. Nericon was from a breeder and she's of decent quality, though I don't wish to breed fantails. Neither have missing fins or anything.

I have no experience so I don't think I'd be able to sell them even if I wanted to. I just wanted to try it once and see what happens. I agree that nothing but deformed fish would be a let down, but you can't know until you try. At the end of the day, when it comes to true deformities, fancy goldfish take the cake anyway with all the floating etc. I just want them to be healthy.

I like the Home Depot mortar tub for raising fry and duckweed.  If you live in an area with Menards, check out their Super Tub.  I bought 4 of these for aquaponic grow beds when I visited WI this summer.

For indoor use, I like this.  It looks white in the picture, but perfectly clear in real life, so you can see the babies very well. 

I like the Home Depot mortar tub for raising fry and duckweed.  If you live in an area with Menards, check out their Super Tub.  I bought 4 of these for aquaponic grow beds when I visited WI this summer.

For indoor use, I like this.  It looks white in the picture, but perfectly clear in real life, so you can see the babies very well. 

Cool.  I am quite lucky, in that I have a menards, lowes, harbor freight, and home depot all within 4 miles of my house.  Think I'll pick up the mortar tub from home depot since it's smooth on the inside, will make siphoning easier than the ribbed super tub from menards.  

Only concern with these dark tubs is accidentally sucking up babies, since it'll be top view... Have you guys had any trouble with this?  Ikea is 2 hours away from me.  If I were to purchase the ikea clear tub, I'd need to have it shipped.  Otherwise I can pick up the under-the-bed storage tubs, if I decide I need more space than my 2 other totes allow.

I'll keep the duckweed/light in with them.  They really seem to enjoy hiding in the duckweed, searching for brine shrimp.  I'm sure they'll eventually like to munch on it.

Anyone know the max depth recommended for <1 inch telescope fry?