Kokos Goldfish Forum
KimA.

Is This Pineconing And What To Do? Crappy Video.

Thanks, Jared.

The water  test results are in and it turns out that WE shouldn't be drinking the water.  My landlord hasn't tested the water in nine years!  This is Ag land for crying out loud! :madrant

The Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL)   for Nitrate in well water is  10.  Our reading is 12.8 so I've been poisoning my fish.

There  are many public water mill stations around town.  Would changing out 20-30 gallons a week make a difference?

I'm also  buying the plants for the back of the tank tomorrow per  your suggestions.

I still don't know if it's just the water or  a bug, so I'll finish a week long course of meds.

Any other  suggestions??

I also think  dropping the tank from  125 gallons to 100 may make it easier to take care of.

Thoughts?

Bought plenty of pothos plants last night and I hope this will help. :thumbup2:

Have a super Saturday! :hi  :hi  :hi  :hi

Glad Fred is doing well!!!!

Fred is still hanging in there and doesn't look any  different. He's still eating the repashy w/meds off my finger , but still hangs near the surface,  He looks less uncomfortable when the lights are out. His breathing is less stressed. 

Should I do another week of Metro and Kanaplex?

Fred is still hanging in there and doesn't look any  different. He's still eating the repashy w/meds off my finger , but still hangs near the surface,  He looks less uncomfortable when the lights are out. His breathing is less stressed. 

Should I do another week of Metro and Kanaplex?

How long has he been on the Metro?  The Kana?  

You can take the Metro to 14 days, but I wouldn't take the Kana past 7-10 days.  

I'm not really sue what we're treating for anymore now that you know there is a problem with your source water :idont

Jared~  I checked my calendar and this is day  8  for both meds.  I need to keep better records!

On the last water change, I dropped the tank down to 100 gallons and added 20 gallons of purchased water.  The company said they don't remove all the minerals.  All my fish  (Fred, too)  were much more animated afterwards.  They are all schooling again and sifting through the sand.

Fred looks about 75%  better.  

What do you think about adding the filtered water?

Edited by KimA.

I'd use a pothos or other veggie filter plants before using filtered water, because the fish really do need the minerals removed in water softening and RO processss to have proper osmotic function, and replacing those is an ongoing expense you could avoid. If the plants didn't help after a month or two I'd consider it but as a last resort.

Okay. Thanks Arctic Mama.   I'll drink it myself! LOL!    Let's hope the landlords did their research before ordering this expensive filter.