Kokos Goldfish Forum
KimA.

Is This Pineconing And What To Do? Crappy Video.

woo hoo barney!  :P

Thanks, Arctic Mama~ I'm wondering if the culprit isn't the prolonged exposure to the high nitrates in the well water. It's 30-40 out of the tap. It's hard to narrow the number down with the master kit.

Is there a place to get this water thoroughly checked? Perhaps the city can offer a test.

It may be - nitrates are poisonous to fish as well, it just takes higher doses and longer than ammonia to show symptoms. The city should be able to analyze it via whatever department does water and sewer, and you may consider running a veggie filter if you don't already - those aquaponic systems do a beautiful job of nitrate reduction because terrestrial plants are more efficient nitrate consumers than aquatic plants. We have had so many good threads about it recently and it's a thought if you haven't already tried it :)

you may have already looked into this -- i have pothos in my 40gallon -- roots in the water, leaves out. it takes up a considerable amount of nitrate. super easy to grow!

I'll have to take another look. There's not much room behind the tank.

This is what my tank looked like when I had my pothos and bamboo in there.

5D6D1CF6-B82D-42E5-B5C8-349AA65BDCF4_zps

So much for overnight shipping. :thumbdown

I'm tracking the delivery and it'll arrive around 9am this morning and I'll be gone by that time.

Barney's water is being changed before I leave for work so should I add salt?  I can't  mix in the meds until I get home from work tonight.

Will  there be daily water changes with the medication?   I ordered the Focus so he can have it added to his food, too.

Thanks Jared!   :thumbup2:

So much for overnight shipping. :thumbdown

I'm tracking the delivery and it'll arrive around 9am this morning and I'll be gone by that time.

Barney's water is being changed before I leave for work so should I add salt?  I can't  mix in the meds until I get home from work tonight.

Will  there be daily water changes with the medication?   I ordered the Focus so he can have it added to his food, too.

Thanks Jared!   :thumbup2:

You can continue with the Epsom Salt in the water.  The Focus will allow you to add the Metroplex and Kanaplex to a food, so you won't be adding these antibiotics to the water.  I would use a sinking pellet.  

Add a little water to a small container like a plastic snack container or a small paper cup.  Add 1 scoop of Kanaplex, 1 scoop of Metroplex and 1 scoop of Focus and stir well to get the medicines mixed into the water.  Then, add 1 Tablespoon of food pellets and stir them into the water.  You should use just enough water to cover the pellets.  Allow the pellets to sit in the solution for about 15 minutes to soak up the meds.  Feed the fish this food, and nothing else, once daily for a week.  Only feed enough food that he eats it all within a minute or two.  Put the remaining food in the refrigerator in a sealed container.

Good morning Jared and thank you!   Petsmart carries pellets, but none of them are labeled as   "sinking"  They  carry Aqueon, Omega One, and API food.  Any suggestions?     Can I mash the meds up in Repashy? 

Omega 1 is a decent food.  The others aren't.  

Thanks, Shakaho.

Mikey~  Bamboo and Pothos?  What's the simplest way to set this up?  My tank is 6 feet long and there's  just enough room in back for the  HOB filters.  Not much  room on either side.

Would just submerging the plant roots help?

hi kim! i just stick the pothos cuttings right in to the tank between the glass of the cover and the back wall. some folks contain the roots, but i just let mine hang there, like mikey had in his tank, too. ;) they get some nice light from a nearby window, and really do well!IMG_5868_zpsrb0v6mja.jpg

IMG_5866_zpsudeyifxx.jpgIMG_5864_zpsrgqnalgo.jpg

Thanks for the example melusine :)

Just like she has it, Kim :)

Edited by Mikey

Awesome!  Thanks!  Off to PetSmart to buy pellets.

Good morning Jared and thank you!   Petsmart carries pellets, but none of them are labeled as   "sinking"  They  carry Aqueon, Omega One, and API food.  Any suggestions?     Can I mash the meds up in Repashy? 

These are sinking:

http://www.petsmart.com/food-care/pellets-crisp/omega-trade-one-goldfish-pellet-fish-food-zid36-17398/cat-36-catid-300041;pgid=S0tgS3W_yshSRpUjXRSAPPJ60000yOvPetpt;sid=klbR0vKVlAvQ0qVJOxmX1sKf1yqGwBGezvCuTNXw?var_id=36-17398&_t=pfm%3Dsearch

It says "sinking" in the little orange bubble on the side.

If you use Repashy, make a special medicated batch from scratch:

Mix 1 scoop of Metroplex and 1 scoop of Kanaplex in 3 Tablespoons of water.  Blend 1 Tablespoon of Repashy into the 3 Tablespoons of medicated water.  Then, cool and refrigerate.  You can add a scoop of Focus to the water as well, but I'm not sure it's necessary in the gel food.

Edited by Jared

Thanks, everyone.   

Barney refused all of the medicated food last night and passed away.  

My small telescope is starting the same behavior so he's in the Q tank.  Hopefully, I caught it in time.

He's not pineconed, but doing the bit with the mouth.

Thanks, everyone.   

Barney refused all of the medicated food last night and passed away.  

My small telescope is starting the same behavior so he's in the Q tank.  Hopefully, I caught it in time.

He's not pineconed, but doing the bit with the mouth.

Oh, no...I'm so sorry to hear that.  The problem with dropsy is that you have to treat it the moment symptoms present or it is usually fatal.  In fact, once the scales are protruding, it is often too late whether you medicate or not.  However, now that you have the meds on hand. you are prepared for it should it happen again with another fish.

Can you be more specific about the symptoms that the telescope is displaying.  What's in the QT water?

I would love to see the whole tank... :) Maybe something is making them sick in there :(

I would love to see the whole tank... :) Maybe something is making them sick in there :(

Yeah, there is definitely something up in the main tank.

Edited by Jared

Sorry! QT is a quarantine  tank.    

The only thing a bit different in the tank is black algae on some of the leaves.

I'm about to do  my  twice a week water change and here are the levels before I change the water:  

PH   8.4

Ammonia   0

Nitrite         0

Nitrate        30

Well tap water  :

PH   7.4

Ammonia  0

Nitrite        0

Nitrate       30

I actually see a slight  dip in the Nitrate from both tank and tap.

Here is the Panda Telescope video.  I would have never ordered such a tiny fish. He was supposed to  be three inches! 

He's not eating so I added the medication to his water. What do you think?

Sorry you're having so many issues. I can't see a video?

The white spots are his markings.

Edited by KimA.

I'm going to mail a water sample to the City of Monterey and see what they can find.

please get us a full tank shot :)