Kokos Goldfish Forum
KimA.

Is This Pineconing And What To Do? Crappy Video.

Thank you, Jared! :I-Thank-You:

The HOB filter I used for the quarantine tank just has a sponge in it.  It's been out of the water for  three weeks. Should I clean it well and use during the salt treatments?

sending good thoughts your way, kim. you are in good hands.  :grouphug

The HOB filter I used for the quarantine tank just has a sponge in it.  It's been out of the water for  three weeks. Should I clean it well and use during the salt treatments?

What were you treating for in the QT when this filter was running?  Is the sponge brand new or did you use it and then dry it?

Any new fish  went into the Q tank. I found a new sponge and put it into the HOB filter . I also rinsed the Seachem Denitrate  gravel  that was in the filter My pinecone fish  is eating, but the Ryukin  is still sucking air at the top of the tank. She's starting to resemble my little oranda I lost a short time ago. We thought she had something stuck in her mouth, but it was probably some other problem.Should I put her in with the pinecone fish?

Any new fish  went into the Q tank. I found a new sponge and put it into the HOB filter . I also rinsed the Seachem Denitrate  gravel  that was in the filter My pinecone fish  is eating, but the Ryukin  is still sucking air at the top of the tank. She's starting to resemble my little oranda I lost a short time ago. We thought she had something stuck in her mouth, but it was probably some other problem.Should I put her in with the pinecone fish?

Make sure not to use the Denitrate gravel in the QT.  It may remove the medications.  I would do 100% water changes daily with Primes added to control ammonia and nitrite.  What meds did you order?

Can you list the specific symptoms of the second fish you are concerned about.  Let's not add her to the QT at this point.

Edited by Jared

The Ryukin is staying at the top and showing no interest in eating.  These two  fish have always been the fastest eaters in the tank. I'm off to a aquarium store in San Jose to get the Metroplex. That's all they have. I can't order the others until Tuesday.

Her scales look normal.

sending good thoughts, kim!  also, hi jared!  :hi if you end up needing oxytetracycline h for this case, i just got mine (100g jar) in the mail from angels plus. i'm available to put some in a baggie and overnight it to kim at any time. i could toss some seachem focus in as well too. i'm in oregon.  :P

The Ryukin is staying at the top and showing no interest in eating.  These two  fish have always been the fastest eaters in the tank. I'm off to a aquarium store in San Jose to get the Metroplex. That's all they have. I can't order the others until Tuesday.

To me, the mouth and breathing movements seem exaggerated in the video.  Is this what you are seeing?  If so, it could be flukes and/or a bacterial gill infection.  We may decide to use the Kanaplex for this fish as well.  You just Prazi'd, correct? I will wait for your reply.

Edited by Jared

That's very kind of you, Melusine!

I drove the hour to the aquarium store and they didn't have the medicine.

He looks better with the daily  salt water changes . Much more active.

Thanks for the help!

I drove the hour to the aquarium store and they didn't have the medicine.

Oh, what a pain!

all good. ;) it's such a pain to need meds and not be able to get them! so happy things are looking up!

Yes, I finished the Prazi treatment  about 10 days ago.

Barney's scale are all back to normal and he's eating. His balance is still off a wee bit. He's still getting the salt treatments. I can't order the meds  until Wednesday since I'm flat broke.  My car needed a major repair.

I found the Ryukin dead  and floating upside down this morning. Her color looked fine and she was  still passing stool..

I've had these two fish  longer than any others and they went through the normal quarantine procedure. 

Water changes are still being done  every third night.  

I cut the feedings down to once a day .

Okay, it would probably good to have the Metroplex and Kanaplex on hand even if you don't need them right away.

Yes.   I'll order them first thing wed morning.  I'm amazed at how he  responded to the salt.

I see the Metroplex and Kanaplex   on Amazon. Should I order anything else tomorrow to keep on hand?

I see the Metroplex and Kanaplex   on Amazon. Should I order anything else tomorrow to keep on hand?

You might want to order the Seachem Focus which is also on Amazon.  I posted the link earlier in this thread.  Focus allows you to bond antibiotics to food which (for Metronidazole in particular) is the preferred method of delivery for internal infections.

Edited by Jared

I apologize about the poor quality of this video.  Hopefully, you can see his scales are flat, but there are some areas near his fins  and gills that look a bit red. He's still eating, but his breathing doesn't look normal. I ordered all three items from Amazon and will start him as soon as they arrive. Any comments on the redness?    

Edited by KimA.

It's hard to see clearly in the video, but redness may indicate a systemic infection.  You need the meds.  Let me know when they arrive.

Thank you, Jared. I'll let you know asap. The lighting isn't the best in that corner of the room.

I'm sorry about your Ryukin!

Thanks, Arctic Mama~ I'm wondering if the culprit isn't the prolonged exposure to the high nitrates in the well water. It's 30-40 out of the tap. It's hard to narrow the number down with the master kit.

Is there a place to get this water thoroughly checked? Perhaps the city can offer a test.

Edited by KimA.

hang in there barney! good thoughts your way!

He's tough!