Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Mothercrow

I scared myself...

6 posts in this topic

So...this is dumb. We rearranged everything in the kitchen this weekend, and spent the last four days moving and setting up tanks. It's been a HUGE undertaking. The goldies are in a 38g now, they have a giant new filter. We rinsed out the 20g, I carefully created a divider and I was installing it last night and I started thinking about gill flukes.

You might have guessed that I'm prone to anxiety. I've been looking up gill flukes and now I'm just terrified. I know that I need to treat the goldies, but how about the bettas? The 20g has been empty for two nights, and the gravel was rinsed until it ran clear, but when I was filling it last night the water became cloudy. I'm wondering if changing the water again will be enough, or if I need to keep the tank empty for an entire week, or if I should treat the bettas with prazi, or if I should do all of the above.

I'm really overwhelmed. I'm trying very hard to stay calm. I could really use some advice, if you have any!

Treat all of the fish with prazi.   It won't hurt them.  If you haven't done it before, Treat for two weeks.

I have not used prazi (or any medication) before. I tried Artemiss Microbe Lift when I was losing so many goldfish four months ago, but I don't even know what it's supposed to do.

I really am grateful for all of the help you give me!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Praiz treatment is easy.

Get the prazi and dose it according to package instructions.  If you do a water change within the first four days of treatment, add prazi to the new water at the indicated dose.  

After a week, do a large water change and add prazi in a dose appropriate for the full tank volume.  As in the first week, if you do a water change within the first four days of treatment,add prazi to the new water at the indicated dose.   Then just resume your normal water change schedule (assuming that includes at least a 50% water change weekly)

Take a deep breath and everything will be fine.   :hug

What dawn said.   Fish keeping should be enjoyable/relaxing, not a job/panic (though we all know it can be scary sometimes).  Just take a breath and tell yourself everything will be ok, and it will be.. not always immediately but it will be eventually so don't worry.

I agree you should do a preventative treatment with prazipro for all the fish.

I've found it easier to take substrate out of the tank and put in a large bowl or a bucket and take outside to rinse with a hose thoroughly (the shallower you keep it the quicker it is to clean) then put back in the tank.  Easier than multiple water changes to get out old mulm and such having to haul buckets of water back and forth (i'm not a python siphon user).

Edited by AquaAurora