Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waya

Few Questions

I'm looking to get a few peoples opinions on a few of my gold fish.

Does this fish look like a finless type or more like it has a birth defect or damage?

20160829_233844.jpg

20160829_233808.jpg

Does this one look a little thin? She has a thinner longer body then my others and I'm not sure if its normal for her or if she needs to put on some weight.

20160903_043307.jpg

20160903_030226.jpg

Edited by waya

I'm no professional, but first fish I say he's a mixed breed anyway with perhaps a birth defect (note how lumpy the spine is). Some fish are naturally thinner than others. My long bodied Oranda eats as much as my Ryukins and just isn't as round. The rounder the fish, the more prone to swimming issues so I don't think it's harmful. Cute little guys.

Thank you for the reply

The bumps are a very big part of what is making me thing birth defect on the 1st baby.

The red and white girl I just got and I'm not sure she had ate for a time. I picked her up the same day she made it to the store and shes the only goldfish I've had not poop in the bag on the way home a 30min ride (normally 5-10min rides and I have a pile of poop). It made me a little more worried but she is eating and acting just fine now. I'll see if she fattens up or not in time . I just wanted to know if I should try feeding her more then my others or if she was good.

My other big boys are very round.

This guy is by far the roundest 2nd largest. He used to have problems a lot when he was younger. I'd always find him having problems swimming and floating up to the top of the tank. So I can agree with you the roundness isn't always good. Luckly he hasn't had any problems in months.

Goldy.jpg

And just to show off my fav boy and the biggest bought at the same time and the same size he isn't as round tho close but is bigger.

Big%20Boy%202.jpg

I should make a post and show all of them off.

The first one I think has some kind of birth defect..the bumps are what makes me think that as well. As long as it doesn't seem to bother him I wouldn't worry too much about it though.

The second one just looks like she is a longer body fish. Again nothing I'd worry about :)

That's my opinion. I love your two big boys

Thank you

I like to worry about stuff so i find it best to ask others just to make sure. Even if really think you have the right answer it doesn't hurt to confirm it with others.

Finless as I'm calling him/her is still very small with a body(not counting tail) of at must a inch. Seems to get along just fine for food with my other babies. Swims a little different then the others and seems to like just floating around over swimming if there's no food around but nothing I'm worried about. Not sure what will go on as it gets older but I'll be keeping a eye on it. I got it thinking it wasn't normal and there for less likely to find a good home as all the other ones, plus I like the odd ones.

BigBoy (black and orange) only has 3 tail fins. There's only 1 top back fin It doesn't even look like there ever was 2. Have a 2nd one that is also has the same tail

So that leads me to another question. Just curious is it common for them to get tails like that? You can't tell by how they swim or anything. The white and orange oranda's back tail fins are fused at the top but still looks like 2 parts think that's not rare.

bbt%202.jpg

bbt.jpg

Top one is fine but definitely has a spinal defect.

Bottom one does look thin. If after a month or two of solid feeding she still looks very thin it might be worth it to do an anti parasite treatment at that point.

Welcome to Kokos!  Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.

Lots of fish with no dorsal fin also have an irregular top line like your calico eggfish.  He  has a bumpier back than most, but this presents only a cosmetic problem and no harm to his health.   He swims differently because he doesn't  have a dorsal fin.  

You said you just got the second fish.  Do you have it in quarantine?  This oranda looks a little thin.  If you haven't treated your fish with praziquantel for flukes, you probably should do so.

The orange and calico ryukins look fine.  If you wanted to show Big Boy, his "tripod" tail would keep him from winning.  However, many twin-tailed fish have some or all of the top tins fused. 

Welcome to Kokos!!!

Welcome!

I have a fish with that same kind of tail! :rockon I love it, think it's super cool.

Does that fish also have whiskers? :o or was that something in the tank that just looked like they were part of his face :hmm 

@Arctic Mama

Thank you

Not sure I'd wait 2 mouths but I think I'll be doing just that. Don't like doing so if it's not needed but if there is any problems showing or she doesn't look to be fattening up at all she'll need some meds.

@shakaho

Thank you

Looked over the link seems like bases that people should know. Nothing new to me but thank you for sharing it.

I've never owned a fish without a dorsal fin. I'm sure they would have to compensate as you are saying but I don't know how much is normal. So I can't tell if he has a harder time then other finless or they all swim like him and not as much as my others.

I'll keep a eye on her I don't like giving meds unless I have to. She hasn't been flashing, hasn't been acting wrong in any way or had any odd looking poop so far.  My 6 older gold fish that i got around a inch in size not counting the tail about 4 months ago have never gotten any meds (my old goldfish in the past I also don't remember ever getting meds). I did sadly see one of my babies in my baby tank did have a odd poop so if I see it again I'll have to treat them. For not they all have just been getting daily water changes and tank cleanings. Is there a reason you suggest treating them and by "If you haven't treated your fish" do you mean all of them?

Think you for answering my question about BigBoy. I know he doesn't care about his tail so it was just my wanting to know more about it. I've never thought about showing fish. I just want him to be a big nice looking boy he is, a fish I enjoy looking at all the time. He lives in the tank right by my side of the couch along with Goldly(one pictured in the post with him).

@DawnMichele

Thank you

@jenzaar

Thank you

I didn't even know his tail was like that for a good few months. He acted so normally with swimming and I didn't look that closely (only saw them from top down at the time) that I looked right over it. He was about a inch when I got him don't think I saw it till he was about 3 inchs (again I don't count the tails).

The "whiskers" were plant roots but you're right that's funny placement in the picture didn't even notice it lol.