Kokos Goldfish Forum
Distaff

efficient homestead

I got a lot of stuff done in the past month, and many things are better organized and more efficient.  So, why not a new quarantine?  Dandy Orandas had two gorgeous fish, but one was in the $500 range, and the other was $300 - something.   WAY out of my budget. 

Raingarden had a lovely fish.  Love at first sight, actually. "Blue metallic" (kind of a silvery bluish bronze) Watoni female. She will arrive Thursday.  I will TRY to get some pics up and loaded from my camera - we'll see.

I much prefer Raingarden to DO, for what it's worth. But the entire auctions format kind of drives me up the wall and I'm no fan of the import issues and disease either, which is no fault of Ken's since he is fastidious about that. It's just the nature of the fish and where they are from/how much they're traveling.

The local breeding of stock in Raingarden is more controlled and while some aren't comparable quality on body lines, many are stunners for a great price.

I wish those places sold baby fish.

Can't wait to see picture's.

Baby fish would be fun.  Maybe someday I'll get a spawn.  Had the same two Wallmart commons since 2011, and not even breeding stars (I guess they are both females, although one is decidedly plumper than the other). 

I love the variety at DO, but auctions stress me out!  I always prefer a few days to mull things over. 

At this point, the Fish Garden is running out of space for tubs, so that's probably the last fish I'll buy this year.  One might suggest...How about some tanks inside?.  We are running out of space inside too.  Three big Exo-Terra display vivs for our gorgeous snakes, and a Critter Nation for the ratties (that thing is the size of an armoire)...I need a bigger house.

You probably have two females. My first two were both female. Actually, my first 5 were all female!

I think you can get babies from Raingarden.  Read the second paragraph under Internet Sales here.  I have heard of people who asked him for babies of a particular type and got some reasonably priced.  I don't know if the policy has changed.

I wish those places sold baby fish.

He has many fish who are not posted on his site.  He'll also  answer any  questions through email.

I did decide to ask. His Ryukins honestly don't look very good and it's probably too pricey right now for me, but at least I'll know if he does sell them or not in case I want to get one in the future.

He did reply saying he had no baby Ryukin fish (no surprise there, nobody has them), but that if he did, one would be $60-$100 plus shipping, same as the older ones. Ouch. Really? No way, but at least now I know.

Edited by mjfromga

At least you'd know where the fish have been.   We do take a chance buying these guys from LFS.

I will say that my most robust fish was found hiding behind a log at  Petsmart. LOL!

Well, the fish arrived just fine, but she is having trouble.  Her shipping water measured 78F, and my tub was 70F.  I floated the bag to get a close match.  Looking back, I should have had a means of heating the tank, so I could  bring her down MUCH slower.  Today was irrigation day; I let myself get distracted with that and a few other things...stupid. 

Hope she makes it.

I don't want to be posting in the "Horror Stories" section.

I've posted in that section unfortunately. I don't think the temp drop with the floating bag would have made much of a difference. I have never minded taking chances with fish from poor or questionable sources, though it doesn't always end well, I admit. You have to kinda understand that these fish are often weak and some just may not make it regardless of what you do. They probably wouldn't have made it another week or two in their current location. I did report to the manager of my local Walmart TWICE now for severe ich and absolutely nothing has been done at all :( The poor babies. I respect people and entities who care more and I do think I'll be getting my next fish from someone like that, though I can't justify $100 for a baby Ryukin when they turn out like the Ryukins I saw on the site.

Edited by mjfromga