Kokos Goldfish Forum

Two weeks ago, we lost our beloved comet goldfish who was a carnival prize a couple of years ago. I was heart broken, she was a huge presence...the happiest little thing.

I literally cried every day for a week after she passed and even though I had developed quite a beautiful setup in her tank, I kept telling myself I'm not getting more fish...losing this one made a mess of me.

But I had many live plants in there, including one baby plant I got around the time I got her, which is now huge and has reproduced many times over. So I still kept the tank running.

Then I had to get food for the other animals and wandered into the fish dept and looked at the feeder fish. I thought maybe I could get a couple of them, not get attached, let them enjoy a good life for a little while.

Well, I brought home 5 of tiniest comets ever. I specifically asked for no typical gold ones that would remind me of my old baby...can you believe I was fighting back tears right there at the pet store?

But so much for not getting attached! Good God these little babies are tiny, bold, beautiful and precious!

It's nice to see life and happiness back in the tank again although I can't lie...I wish it was my little angel face still there. I'm crying now just thinking about her :(

Anyway, 2 of the babies are just about an inch in length.

My son and I both think this one is the prettiest, orange and white with black on her fins and tail.

The other real tiny one is really beautiful, cutest little face always looking at you, and swims a little differently because it has 2 tails and is orange and white. But she holds her own and seems fine. They all seem like a relatively healthy bunch!

The rest are about an inch and a half.

One is black gold but looks grey, he always slants up looking at the top for food and reminds me of a dolphin.

A white one, a big solid bruiser type.

And another orange and white. Has the look that reminds me of my old girl, with the long flowing tail.

Finally to my questions :)

I am fully aware of the goldfish's insatiable appetite but these little babies seem to burn off their food fast. Do babies get fed more often? How often? I hadn't even had them quite 24 hours. But yesterday, I fed them a little after they seemed settled in the tank, then 3 hours later, their bellies weren't even rounded anymore and as soon as they saw my hand at the top they were right there wanting food again so I fed them again.

The other question, 2 parts...I'm kind of under the assumption that I won't be as lucky this time around with the same kind of longevity that I got with my old girl. These babies are in her 30 gallon tank with a 50 gal filter. I am fully aware that if by some miracle they all survived, this tank can only properly hold 1, possibly 2 if I partial often.

But for right now...the filter is very strong for them. At first, they would swim by and get suspended in motion...and give me a good chuckle! By the end of the day, they already seemed to master it and strangely enough...now I catch them swimming up into the waterfall part deliberately, as if they like it? Is the filter bad or is it ok?

If all 5 survived...when will I know the time has come to get them out of this tank or start splitting them up? About what size would they be?

I have a fear of a huge tank exploding in my house so I'm not going to get any big huge tank. In the future, I might get a 40 gal or 2 but that's it.

Another question, I would always treat my old girl to live brine shrimp and bloodworms twice a month. I don't think I'd try the bloodworms yet but could these tiny babies do brine shrimp now?

Welcome to Kokos!  Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish for some helpful advice.

We need pictures of these little cuties.  :please  You upload the pictures to photobucket or another host, then copy and paste them into your post.

At the next Petco dollar per gallon sale, get a 40B.  The two tanks should handle your babies for at least another year or so, although you might want to replace the 30 gallon with another 40B.   Put the largest two in one tank and the three smaller ones in the other.

Can you adjust the flow through your filter?  Your fish shouldn't have much trouble with the flow rate, but you can fasten a sponge around the filter intake to slow it a bit.

Yes!  Please send pics!  Also, I personally feed my babies 2-3 times per day.  They beg every hour though :-D  But just remember, as much food as you put in, they poop out!  

Edited by Bmitchell486

Welcome to Kokos!!!!

Then I had to get food for the other animals and wandered into the fish dept and looked at the feeder fish. I thought maybe I could get a couple of them, not get attached, let them enjoy a good life for a little while.

HA! That's a good one!

But for right now...the filter is very strong for them. At first, they would swim by and get suspended in motion...and give me a good chuckle! By the end of the day, they already seemed to master it and strangely enough...now I catch them swimming up into the waterfall part deliberately, as if they like it? Is the filter bad or is it ok?

I "adopted" some feeder fish, too, about four months ago. When I put them in the tank, they were about an inch, like yours. They love the filter output--they use it to surf. I don't think I'd worry, unless you see signs of distress.

Welcome! I think you'll like it here.

Welcome! My fish like to "surf" in their filter current, too :) I like to feed my fish 1 mouthful per fish, about 3-4x a day. Goldfish don't really have much "storage capacity" in their digestive system, so things just keep moving right through them - I like to feed a lot of greens or dried seaweed for this reason, they can just sort of snack on those sorts of foods without overeating & becoming constipated. Two of our goldfish came directly out of a feeder tank, & the other 2 were "free fish".

Thank you all for the welcoming and advice!

I put a wide, tall fake plant in front of the filter but otherwise, I'm not going to worry because I'm definitely seeing the surfing that you all described. Last night, I caught them in their suspended/sleep mode and the whole bunch were right there by the filter when they could've chosen to be on the other side of the tank or at the bottom! My old girl would sleep in the java fern. 

I couldn't get my old one used to eating greens but I'm glad that was suggested to remind me! Maybe if I can get them used to it at this age, they'll come to like the greens. I wound up feeding them 4 times yesterday and every time I looked at them, they were pooping, lol. I swear they seem like they've grown a little already.

I think I'll test the water and do a partial in another 3 days (which will be 5 days). Do you think that sounds ok or should I do one sooner? 

I will definitely be trying keep an eye out for when that tank sale comes around again.

2jenv35.jpg

Group pic, the first day here

2wfk2nt.jpg

My little dolphin 

2cpc3vd.jpg

This shows his black gold coloring

16asgeg.jpg

The double tail beauty

14bj6g6.jpg

This shows her tails better

14echh4.jpg

The white one

33c9jk7.jpg

The white one is the most independent and adventurous but he definitely and obviously seeks out the double tailed and the other orange and white. Makes me wonder if they could be related?

2rghpat.jpg

The other orange and white. He has the prettiest fins and tail of the bunch but when I tried getting pics of them earlier, they were all blurry pics. Got this clear pic of him last night while resting but it only shows half of how pretty he really is.

sb3eqv.jpg

This is the itty bit. She was so cute...trying to figure out which one of these plants was the fake and real one. She found out quick enough!

How big is your "partial"? The more often you change water the better. 

I observe that virtually every picture you posted shows at least one fish with clamped fins.  Fins held close to the body rather than erect or spread indicate the fish doesn't feel well. 

Do you test the water regularly?  What readings do you get for ammonia, nitrite, and pH?

If you don't have a test kit, please get one of these.  You can take a sample of your water (taken before a water change) to the fish/pet store for testing.

I suggest you cut back the amount you feed.  In nature, goldfish eat virtually every waking minute, but their natural foods have less nutrition than commercial food.  The more the fish eat, the more waste they produce, and the waste is toxic.

I do have test strips left, but I haven't even had them quite 48 hours yet. Test now?

I did mention that I took the pics when they were resting last night. The light had previously been turned off but I turned it on and some were clampy looking but slowly moving about enough to where I could take clear pics.

I tried taking pics now first thing this morning while they're fully awake and all over the place, not clamping at all...but all I get is blur from them not sitting still long enough!

The rest of them looked fine, but the little one with the black on the tail appeared clamped throughout.

How much water do you change when you do a partial?

Please test the water.  The strips, particularly when old, don't work very well, but they work better than nothing.  

We always recommend treating new fish for flukes with praziquantel.  

Is that ornament hollow in there... If so I would get it out of there as water collects in it and then goes stagnate not good :(

None of the ornaments are hollow but thank you for bringing that up for me to keep in mind if I get future one's!

Ok, since I have to pick up prazi, I'll have them test the water at the aquatic store and later I'll test with my strips to see if they match. I haven't touched these strips in close to a year.

What partial and how much would you suggest? I would assume 50% but I'm not sure when/how often. I used to do about 1/3 once a week with my old girl.

Thanks again for all the advice!

I want to see your test results before recommending a water change schedule.  Please also take a sample of your tap water to test.

None of the ornaments are hollow but thank you for bringing that up for me to keep in mind if I get future one's!

Ok, since I have to pick up prazi, I'll have them test the water at the aquatic store and later I'll test with my strips to see if they match. I haven't touched these strips in close to a year.

What partial and how much would you suggest? I would assume 50% but I'm not sure when/how often. I used to do about 1/3 once a week with my old girl.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Thats the cool thing about having the API test kits is you can test and know exactly how much you want to change... So lets say your nitrates are 40ppm then I would do a 50-60% water change. If its higher than two water changes or one big one... Plus it depends on your PH on how much you can change....

I would get the API test kit trust me :) It will save you time and on the head aches :)

I want to see your test results before recommending a water change schedule.  Please also take a sample of your tap water to test.

lol your's is the short version of mine lol

Great minds think alike!   :lol: