Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Mothercrow

Quarantine/Moving Fish

4 posts in this topic

I'm hoping to do a big tank move this weekend. The plan is to set up the 40g, move the goldfish in, then divide the 20g that the goldfish moved out of, and put in two male bettas. I have some questions I'm hoping to get answers to.

1) I never quarantined the goldfish. They all came from the same place, I didn't have any other fish, and I didn't think it was necessary. I've had the goldfish just short of four months, in the first two weeks I had five goldfish die, unknown causes. No deaths in more than three months. Now that I'm learning more, I am wondering if it's necessary to run them through the set of treatments listed in the quarantine procedures listed on this site?

2) Now that I'm learning about diseases, I'm good and freaked out. Is it safe to move the bettas into the tank, or do I need to break it down and sterilize it?

Thank you in advance for any help!

1) I recommend two weeks of prazi treatment for the survivors.  You need not do salt for healthy fish.

2) I don't have experience with bettas, but I wouldn't add new fish to a used tank without taking it down and washing everything, including any substrate you want to keep.  I wouldn't bother sterilizing it.

Thank you!

Can I do the prazi treatment in the new tank?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Yes.