Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
koko

Okotoks Goldfish Eradication Begins In Drake Landing

8 posts in this topic

Too bad they have to kill them all :( It doesn't seem right.

It's so sad these fish have to be killed like that because of irresponsible people :(

Also sucks for whatever native fish may live in that water, considered everything with gills will be killed by the chemical.

I wish people would grow brains that actually function properly.

Also sucks for whatever native fish may live in that water, considered everything with gills will be killed by the chemical.

To be fair, the city really has no choice because of the potential of much greater damage when they spread. It stinks people put the local authorities in that position to begin with in improper disposal of animals, but I can't really fault what amounts to the goldfish version of predator/pest control when the unintended consequences of leaving the disruptive population in place and significantly greater than the loss by dealing with them quickly.

It's a shame this action is even needed, but short of draining and refilling the waterway (which isn't financially feasible for any decent sized lake, let alone a river system) the options for capturing and destroying the goldfish are very limited :(

To be fair, the city really has no choice because of the potential of much greater damage when they spread. It stinks people put the local authorities in that position to begin with in improper disposal of animals, but I can't really fault what amounts to the goldfish version of predator/pest control when the unintended consequences of leaving the disruptive population in place and significantly greater than the loss by dealing with them quickly.

It's a shame this action is even needed, but short of draining and refilling the waterway (which isn't financially feasible for any decent sized lake, let alone a river system) the options for capturing and destroying the goldfish are very limited :(

Don't get me wrong, as sad as it is I do agree that this has to be done. The larger picture of those fish spreading out further is just not a good one.

I just wish people wouldn't just freaking dump their fish when they don't want them anymore.

I don't think it would have any native fish, as it is a drainage pond for an apartment complex. Shame about the goldfish though.

There are people who really are naive unfortunately...its like those people that dump rubbish on road sides :madrant