Kokos Goldfish Forum
Caretta Rose

A dream fish came in to work....

Loving the resources and responses, thanks peeps! I always wanted to dabble with an indoor "pond" - I'm thinking a HOB would be good since I can effortlessly transfer it into a future aquarium, but the bucket filter is cool.

We will see if it was meant to be. Here's the lil dreamer :) I can see the potential in this wee grasshopper!

http://imgur.com/0bKfePa

I love the videos of tenzmoon's indoor pond, which is made from the same large underbed tote I linked to above. Consider his results with his fish before you say he is "grossly" overstocked. He's making it work. (Which doesn't mean it will work just as well for anyone.) When I say the shape of the container makes a huge difference, I don't exaggerate. I think that if he took the fish out of that 20 gallon tote and put them in a 40B with the same maintenance, he'd have sick fish in short order.

Why does the shape make a difference? Is lower water with more length and width better for goldfish?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

What a pretty fish! I think the best solution is to pay for him and put an 'on hold' note on the tank. And remember if all else fails just put him in a bucket of bowl and do daily or twice daily water changes until you have his permanent setup. He won't be harmed by a few days in small quarters at all, so long as you keep the water changes up.

I love the videos of tenzmoon's indoor pond, which is made from the same large underbed tote I linked to above. Consider his results with his fish before you say he is "grossly" overstocked. He's making it work. (Which doesn't mean it will work just as well for anyone.) When I say the shape of the container makes a huge difference, I don't exaggerate. I think that if he took the fish out of that 20 gallon tote and put them in a 40B with the same maintenance, he'd have sick fish in short order.

Why does the shape make a difference? Is lower water with more length and width better for goldfish?

Not Sharon, but surface area is crucial for proper gas exchange. This is compounded by the messy nature of goldfish and their body types - they need plenty of shallow, fresh water to be at their best.

Ohhhhhh! That is one stunner of a goldfish! If you don't buy him.....you should sent him to me :) or some kokonut :nana

Not Sharon, but surface area is crucial for proper gas exchange. This is compounded by the messy nature of goldfish and their body types - they need plenty of shallow, fresh water to be at their best.

I would love to know more. Is there suggested reading, by any chance?

Edited by Mothercrow

Loving the resources and responses, thanks peeps! I always wanted to dabble with an indoor "pond" - I'm thinking a HOB would be good since I can effortlessly transfer it into a future aquarium, but the bucket filter is cool.

We will see if it was meant to be. Here's the lil dreamer :) I can see the potential in this wee grasshopper!

http://imgur.com/0bKfePa

Oh my gosh, that is a stunning fish!

Wow he is a stunner

Oh yes! Look at that amazing tail...and everything ... :clapping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His tail fins are awesome. Gotta say, he does look like just a rounder fantail to me though and not a Ryukin. His peduncle is a bit long for Ryukin and he's not as "thick" as he is "long" in general. His snout looks fantail, too. If he's larger, that tiny hump probably won't get much bigger either. Beautiful fish, and I'd still take him in a heartbeat.

There is another ryukin in the same tank that looks like a balloon belly molly, it's so small and possibly stunted and I can't help but laugh because it's so hilariously cute.

I probably couldn't handle two fish at the moment though.... could I?  :lol2

Centered is Balloony. Upper right in the one I want. Ooh-ooh-ohhh, honey.

PC64ZCJ.png

This is the biggest underbed storage bin I can find. It is between 15-20 US gallons. Would this be sufficient?

I would love to know more. Is there suggested reading, by any chance?

I wish I had some reading for you.  The only scientific research I can find on the subject comes from studies fisheries and fish farming.

In fish farming, experts recommend a a surface area to volume ratio greater than one and the larger the better. the source quoted below gives recommended surface area to depth ratios of 20:1 to 79:1 but says some fish farmers have ratios as low as 7:1.  

Recommended tank diameter to depth ratios vary from 5:1 to 10:1 (Burrows and Chenoweth, 1955; Chenoweth et al. 1973; Larmoyeuxet al. 1973); even so, many farms use tanks with diameter:depth ratios as low as 3:1.  Selection of a tank diameter:depth ratio is also influenced by factors such as the cost of floor space, water head, fish stocking density, fish species, and fish feeding levels and methods.  Choices of depth should also consider ease of workers handling fish within the tank and safety issues of working in waters that may be more than "chest" high.

In the early years of RAS, tanks that were actually deeper than their diameter were touted as a key design factor to economic success.  None of these systems were successful, mostly for problems related to fish management.  Even in more modest attempts to utilize deeper tanks, e.g., a 3:1 ratio of diameter:depth, not all fish will effectively distribute into the entire water column.  An example of this species specific attribute includes tilapia, which utilize the entire water column, versus walleye or flounder, which are surface animals and do not utilize the water column nearly as effectively as tilapia.

I should point out that aquaculture uses very high stocking density.  At stocking densities that we use for goldfish,  you don't need 20 square feet of surface area for a one foot deep tank.  Your fish, however, would love it.  

Ever wonder why we call the shallower tanks like the 40B breeder tanks?  These are designed for fish, and thus appeal to breeders and other advanced fish keepers.  

Everybody talks about the gas exchange advantage of shallow tanks with large surface area.  For goldfish, particularly fancies, the swimming space also helps a lot.  Goldfish get lazy as they get older.  Exercise helps avoid obesity and improves digestive tract activity. and both can reduce the chance of floatiness.  While a big, old goldfish could get exercise by pacing back and forth in a small tank, it usually doesn't.  The larger the space, the more likely the fish will look at a spot far away, think, "There might be food over there,"  and meander over to check it out.  

Get that fish, please!

This is the biggest underbed storage bin I can find. It is between 15-20 US gallons. Would this be sufficient?

Yes.  I think that's the same one I linked before and the same one tenzmoon used for his indoor pond.  I don't know the current exchange rate, but it appears cheaper in the states.  :)

Now don't find another half dozen goldies you can't resist so you have as many as he does.   :lol:

Get that fish, please!

Yes.  I think that's the same one I linked before and the same one tenzmoon used for his indoor pond.  I don't know the current exchange rate, but it appears cheaper in the states.   :)

Now don't find another half dozen goldies you can't resist so you have as many as he does.   :lol:

Everything is cheaper in the States!  :thumbdown  A trip to Buffalo, then!!! 

Phase 1 is complete.... 

I'm hoping to pick up the fish tomorrow, early birthday present to me from me! It'll be really disappointing if it's not still there, but I guess I'll have a pretty sweet new storage bin! As of right now, fishy has not been sold.  :thumb:

e41hZjb.jpg

The bin is roughly 17.5 US gallons. I will be testing it now for water holding abilities :)

Now, the place I work can be considered a "questionable" source. We periodically receive goldies in with lice, and ich is pretty common throughout. We do try our best to get the sick ones out and into hospital tanks, but the main system itself I would deem questionable. I'm assuming I can treat my cool bin as a sort of QT - is there a guideline I can follow for QT-ing new fish? I will have to pick up a new bottle of Prime since I will be going through the rest of mine relatively quickly, and I also need to pick up my AquaClear - does anyone have suggestions in terms of media and stocking an AquaClear 70? What does everyone use? I do have cycled media in my 5.5 gallon Betta tank, however there is not much of it. I should probably get some powdered Prazi? Oh, and food! 

Also, should I build up to 100% WCs (eg. 25% day 1, 50% day 2, etc...) or just immediately start with 100% WCs? I need to be prepared! I also want to mention I have a 100W aquarium heater laying around, should I put it to use?

Edited by Caretta Rose

I love the bin! Perfect!  I can't wait to see your new fish in it -- I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Also, here are the guidelines for quarantining a new fish :) 

Don't heat.  

You have to use trial and error to determine the ideal water change schedule.  Feed lightly and try 50% daily.  Test before every change.  If the ammonia gets close to 1 ppm, increase the amount of water you change. 

Today is the day. I'm so excited! I've been having a rough time with life in general these days, and this is the first time I've felt truly excited for a long time!

I will be off to pick up the remaining supplies and hopefully return with some fishy photos  :9

:redbanana:   :redbanana:   :redbanana:

Get that fish, please!

Yes.  I think that's the same one I linked before and the same one tenzmoon used for his indoor pond.  I don't know the current exchange rate, but it appears cheaper in the states.   :)

Everything is cheaper in the States!  :thumbdown  A trip to Buffalo, then!!!

I'm originally from buffalo, ny :nana

Today is the day. I'm so excited! I've been having a rough time with life in general these days, and this is the first time I've felt truly excited for a long time!

I will be off to pick up the remaining supplies and hopefully return with some fishy photos  :9

:bighug I'm glad this gives you joy! :nana I hope life brings you more smiles soon :D

Chris here.... How exciting!!! Enjoy the the fun of starting such a great project!!! :happydance