Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Caretta Rose

A dream fish came in to work....

67 posts in this topic

And it's killing me since I currently do not have the space for a goldie! I'm debating with myself so hard to just get a Sterilite tub so I can take him home and he won't be banished to someone who doesn't know how to care him (albeit I'm always learning too, so...).

He's a gorgeous calico ryukin with a fantail and the highest, straightest dorsal that I've seen on a MD ryukin. When I unboxed him, I gasped and exclaimed much to the shock and confusion of customers around me. "LOOK AT THIS BEAUTIFUL FISH, UNNNNGH". Coworkers rolled their eyes at me, "Oh you and your goldfish.." It killed me to put it in the small temp tanks at work. I'm so conflicted right now, I've always been waiting for that one fish to come in and I think it finally did! Almost a whole year of shipments.

I will try to get pictures for you guys tomorrow, I hope he's still there. What do I do?! Deep down I know I'm not at all prepared.  :help1

Edited by Caretta Rose

Consider if you want to do the required maintenance for another tank or double water changes in an existing tank. If yes? Get him! If no, pass in good conscience.

A calico Ryukin? I'd get a storage tub and get him immediately lol. Though of course only you know if you're able to. If you're not at all prepared, I wouldn't do it.

A calico Ryukin? I'd get a storage tub and get him immediately lol. Though of course only you know if you're able to. If you're not at all prepared, I wouldn't do it.

I know I could handle the maintenance, I really do enjoy it. It's the only hobby I have that calms me down. I haven't had a goldfish for a few years now, I'm just here with my Betta who is the most low maintenance little dude ever, I haven't even had to scrub his aquarium since December. It'd take me a little while to get into the swing of things again with a messy, bigger dude.

I am paranoid about an uncycled tank and if he'd be ok, as I have always done the long haul before coming home with anybody (not just fish, bahahah). I get a pretty good discount where I work so I can get a nice deal on a filter and supplies.

I am definitely not ready for an aquarium so my imagination is running wild with a little indoor pond via Sterilite tub. 

Edited by Caretta Rose

If youre up for the mantaince id go for it!

Send him to me!!!  :lol

Send him to me!!!   :lol

Temporarily until I sort my crap out?!!?  :))

Send him to me instead! I can't wait to see photos. Calico Ryukins are my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE fish of all time. All time. I sure hope you get him. Fish in cycling isn't ideal, but it can be done.

I agree with Arctic Mama.

Once I passed up my "dream fish" due to cost, and have regretted it every since.  If you're up for the maintenance, go get it!

Get him! Get him! Get him! .... Then ship him to meeee :nana

Go for it!!!!!!!!   :redbanana:

Do iiiitttttt!!!

Chris here.... We are a bunch of enabler here. We know what happens if we don't act when we can, regrets make us crazy... :wacko:

Opportunity is knocking!!! :kickbutt

:rofl3

Get a nice underbed  storage container.  If you get a 10 gallon, either get two and transfer the fish from one to the other daily, or get one  and remove the fish to do 100% daily changes.  Unless you massively overfeed, the fish won't experience any toxicity as long as you use Prime.  If you have the space this one makes a great indoor pond.  A shallow container can support more fish in the same volume as an aquarium.

A little HOB filter like this will fit in these totes.  With large water changes, it should cycle in about a month, and then you can cut back on the water changes.

Buy it! Or you'll regret it for a long time.

What did you decide to do??

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Oh, guys. Today was really nerve wracking. Customers kept coming in and pointing at the fish in question, mentioning how big and pretty it is. It's one of the larger Goldies we've gotten in.

A woman came in and she was debating on that fish, or two itty bitty red/white ryukins for her 20 gallon. *facepalm* I was freaking out internally. I cannot let her have it! Managed to convince her to get one little guy, thank the fish gods! I'm sorry you had to be a sacrifice, little red and white.

I'm off for the next couple days. I'm really hoping my fish is there by Saturday because I think I'm gonna start setting up......... I told the girls to steer people away as much as possible, lol!

Do Aquaclears fit on bins? I would assume so? I want to go as big as possible.

By the way, storage tubs work great and you can get quite creative with them! I had one for my two little calico babies (fantails) and they very much enjoyed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GpM_sjOuLU

Love it!

I was thinking something along these lines, if you can ignore how grossly overstocked it is:

I think it would make a good temp home in the meantime. I like the wide horizontal space, and it would be easier to maintain opposed to a deep bin. Would it be more difficult for it to circulate? Unless you guys have other suggestions?

Edited by Caretta Rose

As Sharon said, that's even better! The shallow ones are better but I didn't have the extra length. Go for it! Hopefully red and white you sold off will be good. A 20 gallon for him will be fine.

BTW - my storage tub fit AquaClear filters just fine :)

Edited by mjfromga

I'm just fascinated by the idea that you can use storage bins. Thanks for the video!

As for the red and white goldfish, you just steered her towards a fish that would be a better fit for the tank she has.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I love the videos of tenzmoon's indoor pond, which is made from the same large underbed tote I linked to above.   Consider his results with his fish before you say he is "grossly" overstocked.  He's making it work.  (Which doesn't mean it will work just as well for anyone.)  When I say the shape of the container makes a huge difference, I don't exaggerate.  I think that if he took the fish out of that 20 gallon tote and put them in a 40B with the same maintenance, he'd have sick fish in short order.

The ideal filter for this would be a DIY bucket filter like the one here.  

OMG! Please don't wait till sat

Put the fish on hold with deposit now and then take him home Sat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really want to do that pond!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk