Butterfly

Duckweed

7 posts in this topic

Can you feed too much duckweed?

I have had a bumper crop going this summer and have been feeding it to my fish in handfuls day and night. Other than creating a snow globe effect in my tanks, are there any downsides to this nutrition wise? Occasionally I will feed some Repashy or NLS Thera-A or bloodworms, but mostly it's duckweed since I have so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send some to me :whistle

I'd say they would need a bit of protein as well...but I couldn't tell you the percentages or amount.

I'm sure someone here will tune in soon with some good advice :D

Duckweed is a good protein source.  The % protein varies according to the nitrogen  source of the water the duckweed grows in.   Studies on tilapia indicate optimum growth with 50% duckweed and 50% pellets.  Tilapia aren't goldfish and the studies used tilapia grown in aquaculture tanks.  

In a pond with lots of natural foods to complement the duckweed,  I'm sure the fish would do just fine on duckweed alone.  Otherwise, a supplement of commercial food, like you mention,  will balance the diet.  As long as the fish get other foods as well,  I'm sure you can't feed too much duckweed.

Edited by shakaho

Duckweed is a good protein source. The % protein varies according to the nitrogen source of the water the duckweed grows in. Studies on tilapia indicate optimum growth with 50% duckweed and 50% pellets. Tilapia aren't goldfish and the studies used tilapia grown in aquaculture tanks.

In a pond with lots of natural foods to complement the duckweed, I'm sure the fish would do just fine on duckweed alone. Otherwise, a supplement of commercial food, like you mention, will balance the diet. As long as the fish get other foods as well, I'm sure you can't feed too much duckweed.

Cool. Thanks for the info. It makes a mess but they pick at it over several hours rather than the way they vacuum up everything else. I figure it gives them something to do too.

Slow Food for Goldies sounds healthy. 

Duckweed is a good protein source.  The % protein varies according to the nitrogen  source of the water the duckweed grows in.   Studies on tilapia indicate optimum growth with 50% duckweed and 50% pellets.  Tilapia aren't goldfish and the studies used tilapia grown in aquaculture tanks.  

In a pond with lots of natural foods to complement the duckweed,  I'm sure the fish would do just fine on duckweed alone.  Otherwise, a supplement of commercial food, like you mention,  will balance the diet.  As long as the fish get other foods as well,  I'm sure you can't feed too much duckweed.

Arr, great thanks again for some really cool information! I'm quite excited because I just bought some duckweed and cant wait to try it! It is so easy for me to assume there is little protein in greens and love that I now know contrary to my initial thoughts :clapping:

I love giving them duckweed. :thumbs: