Kokos Goldfish Forum
AquaAurora

How much does size matter?

I recently lost a goldfish an am on the hunt for another.  I thought I'd read somewhere that its best to keep goldfish of similar size together to reduce chance of bullying/food hording by the a larger one (I know this is the case with schooling fish, especially if they're not in a proper school size or 6+).  Is this accurate or when keeping only 2 fancies in a 40g tank is it ok to have 1 be almost 2x as big as the other and they'll usually get along ok?

I think it depends on the fish. I have done it with bigger size differences than 2x and was fine with my goldfish.

I like the title!!!!   :teehee

I think it depends on the fish. I have done it with bigger size differences than 2x and was fine with my goldfish.

Did you do this when only keeping 2 fish to a tank or where there more?I'm ot sure if having a 'school' so to speak helps spread possible aggression around better than just a duo when it comes to goldfish.  I might be over paranoid, just don't want replacement fish to last less than a week in the tank because "oh no you shouldn't put a new one in that's __X smaller than the original." So thank you for your input ^^

I'm unsure of my remaining girl's temperament, I think she's not aggressive, I mean she didn't shred the passed one's fins or chase it 24/7 (they each chased eachother for pez dispenser egg snacks periodically as both were girls, but no smashing the otehr fish into rocks/glass), and they ate together fine.

I would make a comment but it might not be kid friendly so I'll jut's smile ^.^

Did you do this when only keeping 2 fish to a tank or where there more?I'm ot sure if having a 'school' so to speak helps spread possible aggression around better than just a duo when it comes to goldfish.  I might be over paranoid, just don't want replacement fish to last less than a week in the tank because "oh no you shouldn't put a new one in that's __X smaller than the original." So thank you for your input ^^

I'm unsure of my remaining girl's temperament, I think she's not aggressive, I mean she didn't shred the passed one's fins or chase it 24/7 (they each chased eachother for pez dispenser egg snacks periodically as both were girls, but no smashing the otehr fish into rocks/glass), and they ate together fine.

:)

:)

I had the same thought and everytime I read it early in the morning :rofl:tomuch:

IM liking this thread!!!!   :happydance   :happydance   :happydance

Size doesn't really matter for goldfish community dynamics, in my experience, but it's useful to make territory rearranged and broken up by plants just in case. Also watch carefully to verify everyone is getting their fair share of food.

Size doesn't really matter for goldfish community dynamics, in my experience, but it's useful to make territory rearranged and broken up by plants just in case. Also watch carefully to verify everyone is getting their fair share of food.

Thank you for the info.  I may adjust my water sprite to make a little more line of sight break up (move the middle bundle forward in the tank).  Might try getting a  smaller fish my husband liked (will put it thought qt first though).

Edited by AquaAurora

I have kept small goldfish together with very large goldfish and didn't notice any problems. The smaller ones were actually faster.

I have kept small goldfish together with very large goldfish and didn't notice any problems. The smaller ones were actually faster.

Thank you for the input ^^

Edited by AquaAurora

Size makes no difference whatsoever, as long as the little one is recognizable to the bigger one as a goldfish and not just food.  I don't know for sure at what age this happens, but you can put the tiniest "feeders" in with large mature fish (who would happily swallow a much larger fish of another species) who will simply ignore them.  

I've heard of aggressive goldfish here, but I've never seen one, and I've had quite a few fish.  You may see nuisance behavior, particularly from hyperactive youngsters who follow a new tankmate around continually.  It doesn't last long.

Size makes no difference whatsoever, as long as the little one is recognizable to the bigger one as a goldfish and not just food.  I don't know for sure at what age this happens, but you can put the tiniest "feeders" in with large mature fish (who would happily swallow a much larger fish of another species) who will simply ignore them.  

I've heard of aggressive goldfish here, but I've never seen one, and I've had quite a few fish.  You may see nuisance behavior, particularly from hyperactive youngsters who follow a new tankmate around continually.  It doesn't last long.

Thank you for the info! Won't get anything small enough to fit in the bigger one's mouth.  The one I may get is about maybe 1.25-2" body (hard to tell as it was in a pond), my large one is 3" body.

Edited by AquaAurora

I have 2 small pearlscales (1" body,) with a group with up to 5" bodies. The pearlscales are the longer bodied type (not true golf balls) and are at least as fast as the bigger fish which are a bit handicapped due to funky eyes. I actually think I'm going to move the pearlscales at some point as they don't really seem to fit with the other fish.

Now I had a peaceful large female golf ball pearlscale in a tank with a more aggressive and larger female Thai oranda (Bob, aka Roberta, aka Flipper, aka Sid Fishious) and she lost both her eyes and several scales in 2 separate attacks. I moved the pearl but when Bob went after a small bubble eye (just the eye, not the bubble) I learned my lesson and I have since moved Bob into a tank with similarly sized and abled fish and she has gotten along very well... So far.

I think what I've learned is that it's best to keep similarly abled or handicapped fish together so at least if one gets rowdy the other has a chance of getting away.

I have a teeny little ranchu with 3 big fantails. I've noticed no problems.

I do however keep a 20G and a spare filter in case they need "time out".

Have you ever had to give a goldie time out?

Have you ever had to give a goldie time out?

Yes, but only once or twice when they've attempted to breed and gotten a bit carried away.

Thank you everyone that posted here and gave input!   There are now 2 new lil' goldies in qt that are maybe 2" body at most (cube there are in is 5.5"-Sprinkles would be just about touching both sides from nose to tail tip in here now).  Hope they make it through qt ^^

Checking out the riparium/aquaponic room

011_zps3abp7cse.jpg

In acclamation cube (airstone put in after photo was taken)

017_zpsb8dkqe6q.jpg

More photos and info in my journal/blog:http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/124166-aquaauroras-goldfish-mts-chronicles/

Very cute!!!!

Very sweet fish!

I don't think I have really ever had an issue with size. I even moved a couple of Redwags into the Goldie tank when I decided to take down my 30 gallon tank awhile back. The adults are fine but the occasional fry become healthy snacks. :teehee

Congrats on you new cuties :)

Congrats on you new cuties :)

thanks ^^