Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Daniel

Goldfish found in Perth's rivers.

13 posts in this topic

Just an interesting article I stumbled across today.

Murdoch University researchers have found some pretty big goldfish and koi living in Perth's waterways.

http://www.news.com.au/national/western-australia/holy-mackerel-goldfish-are-off-the-scale-in-perths-lakes-and-rivers/news-story/f55e2a6be093266fb8d24031456041d8

:interesting:

Sad they're going to kill them. :( 

The one in the first picture is gorgeous.  Sad that they're so harmful and invasive. 

:o wow!

I like that first fish too.  They could auction the fish to monster tank owners (with proof they have the tank size to house the fish) to give the fish a home, and make $ to put towards catching more fish out of the water ways. 

If the goldfish weren't unhealthy they could be made into 'fish stew' (or other mystery fish meat meal) for the homeless? I mean sucks to kill them but at least make use of them instead of tossing in the dump.

But that would mean a lot more work and people just take the fast/easy/cheap route :c

:interesting:

Sad they're going to kill them. :(

It's unfortunate but they're a real danger to the local species and don't taste very good for food, either. Beautiful in our tanks and the rivers they're supposed to inhabit, but not out in the wild in the wrong geographical area :(

Wow, yeah there is actually a real problem in Australia with non native fish species.

I wonder if they would introduce heaps of semi mature cod and perch in there to feed on them?? I know that sounds horrible but its better that other methods... :yikes 

That massive goldfish should go into an educational center or the local council offices :thumbup2:

They are so pretty. Too bad they have to kill them :( If only people weren't irresponsible dumping them there in the first place

Interesting articles :)

Wow, yeah there is actually a real problem in Australia with non native fish species.

I wonder if they would introduce heaps of semi mature cod and perch in there to feed on them?? I know that sounds horrible but its better that other methods... :yikes 

That massive goldfish should go into an educational center or the local council offices :thumbup2:

We really do. My local waterways have tonnes of mosquito fish in them, although the bullrout do eat them, so it sort of works out. Up in the NT a lot of waterways are full of feral bettas.

I like that first fish too.  They could auction the fish to monster tank owners (with proof they have the tank size to house the fish) to give the fish a home, and make $ to put towards catching more fish out of the water ways. 

If the goldfish weren't unhealthy they could be made into 'fish stew' (or other mystery fish meat meal) for the homeless? I mean sucks to kill them but at least make use of them instead of tossing in the dump.

But that would mean a lot more work and people just take the fast/easy/cheap route :c

They actually incinerate feral fish here. Since our quarantine regs are so insane, fisheries and wildlife aren't really allowed to do anything with them.

Mystery fish stew sounds kind of off putting. Also wouldn't fly since you have to specify what ingredients are in food, and if it is livestock, what species, where it is from (product of Australia or not), etc. I think if people saw goldfish as an ingredient they'd steer clear.

As far as making the most from a poor situation, I agree, you could be quite proactive and recycle them as garden fertiliser or something, but this isn't the country where something like would be allowed.

That's a BIG Goldfish!!!!  :yikes