Kokos Goldfish Forum

I prefer to keep pairs in my outdoor tubs, but I had two fish housed alone.  One is a Wakin.  Planned on getting another to keep her company, but never could find one as pretty as she is.  The other single fish is a Watoni.  His tub mate died a couple of months ago.  Planned on getting another but I've been in credit card fraud limbo for weeks with Amex (Who is not taking a couple of smaller charges off that I never made, and they never told me about even after I called them about the first very big fraudulent ones - they are going to "investigate"...blah, blah, blah, and I've been thru two separate cards with them trying to deal with this - I thought Amex was supposed to have good customer service???)

Anyway, moving on, since I won't be charging any fish for a while, I felt sad for these two; they both have been alone for a long time already.   Well, the little male Watoni just thought the Wakin was the best thing since sliced bread.  He chased the big fish around constantly for a couple of hours.  The Wakin seemed like - Ugh! Get this little pest away from me!  Things weren't looking good.  BF suggested we just patiently wait it out for a while - the boy was just simply excited.  So, this morning, things look favourable.  No chasing.  They both ate their pellets.   The deep 100 gallon Rubbermaid does nothing for the male - he is a beautiful fish, but he is hard to see in there.  I want to get some EDPM, and lumber and make a large more shallow tub before fall gets started.

You might consider a 50 gallon stock tank that is one foot deep -- a paradise for a pair of goldfish.   It has all the swimming area of a 100 gallon with better gas exchange because of the better surface area to volume ratio.  Your fish will be easy to see and very friendly in a shallow pond.

I like the 50 gallons; all my other tubs are shallow 50's - the male came from a 50.  But, my sweet Wakin is a HUGE fish!  I figure she could use 50 gallons just for herself, and that particular deep tub at least gives me more volume, if not surface area.

How big is "huge"?   I hate my 100 gallon stock tanks, although the 110 gallon Tuff Stuff tank has more surface area than others and makes a decent pond.

Well, Hanako, the Wakin didn't much care for the idea of a ruler submerged in the tank.  She wasn't real cooperative, but looks like a good six inches of body length, plus the short horizontal tail.  I suppose that isn't enormous, but all my other fish are either much smaller entirely, or short and round with mostly flowing tail.

I haven't run into a Tuff Stuff that size in person.  Local feed store carries some smaller sizes.  I might see about ordering one, they look good in videos I've seen.

Edited by Distaff

That's a pretty average sized wakin.  Two nine inchers will do fine in a 50 gallon if you have good filtration and a good water change schedule.  I have kept a lot more than that, but my filtration and maintenance are a little extreme.  :)

Do you have a Tractor Supply Company?  They carry Tuff Stuff tanks and I think they will special order one if they don't have it in stock.