Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
xStatic

Emergency Fair-Prize Fish Rescue

Today had some goldfish ups and goldfish downs. To get the downs out of the way, my dad sent me a picture of 4 goldfish he had won at the fair. He wanted them for his new office and he set them up in a 5 gallon tank (it looked like a fluval chi). He obviously spent a lot of money on the setup and it's a little sad because surely the four goldfish will do poorly in the tony tank he has, so I'll try to talk to him a bit later but I'm not hopeful about the situation. If the fish don't make it (or if I can find a way to encourage him to rehome them) then I'll strongly encourage him to replace them with a Betta fish.

In slightly more positive news, I did manage to "save" one fair-prize fish that my friend won as a prize and didn't really want to keep himself. I setup a super last minute 5.5gal QT tank and had some fun making a little DIY air-powered filter too. I know it's not really a proper QT tank because of the gravel so I'll remove it if it becomes problematic but for now the fish seems to enjoy picking at the rocks and such so I thought it was nice.

The fish6c0ad3e0dfd5ebdff3d0f9f1bce61fbc.jpg they had this year were surprisingly big and they had a lot more colors than the usual 1/2" orange commons. I named him "Fairy" because he came from the "fair" :P and he has a few breeding stars on his gill plates so I'm thinking he's probably a male. After his QT and salt/med treatments are over he'll get moved to my 60 gallon tank. 344112a8ef1206cbe49eac9db26f1a93.jpg

This is my dad's goldfish on their "tank" 733ad3c39e759c3e75b9135249f45731.jpg

They're very cute! And I love your little emergency setup.

Remember you can sub water changes for gallons, so even your dad's tank can work for a bit. But I'd do water changes every two days.

They're very cute! And I love your little emergency setup.

Remember you can sub water changes for gallons, so even your dad's tank can work for a bit. But I'd do water changes every two days.

Very good to know... I kind of doubt I'll ever get him to commit to that many water changes, but I'll definitely mention it to him! I'm thinking about getting rid of my 29 gallon and stand so I might offer it to him to replace the smaller tank. He's a therapist so I think a calming pretty tank to look at in the office is a good idea, its just not going to be any good if his fish are sick and dying. 

If he wants to keep the small tank and wants it to be relaxing I highly recommend a snail and a betta. The goldfish would definitely be happier in the bigger tank and then he could do biweekly water changes pretty comfortably. He may benefit from reading the site's guidelines for healthy goldfish too, if he is a research junky. Otherwise you just do the best you can to keep imparting little useful tips and wisdom to him in the areas he will take it ;)

Wow they are really pretty fish!

Wow they are really pretty fish!

Yes! They had pretty fish at the fair this year... it was actually quite sad to see how many people had won fish at this year's fair. In the past the rule was that you paid something like $3-5 for a small bucket of ping pong balls and if you didn't get any into the little bowls you just didn't win anything. It was a pretty hard game because it's a game I use to play every year as a kid but I never managed to win a fish before. But this year they changed the rules a bit and it was $5 for a "play until you win" unlimited ball supply. So I saw lots more people than usual carrying around fish in bags and many of them had won 3 or 4 goldfish. 

The upsides to the situation were that I was shocked how much the care of the fish at the carnival had seemed to improve this year. The tanks weren't nearly as crowded as usual, all the fish were pretty large and apparently healthy, and when someone won a fish they got a token to keep with them and exchange for their live fish just before they left so that the fish wouldn't end up being carted around the fair for hours. The bags the fish were sent home in were very large and filled up with a ton of oxygen, and the tanks/bagged fish were kept chilled so that the goldfish didn't overheat. They only bagged one fish in each bag even if someone happened to win more than one fish. I chatted with the man operating the booth for a while and he was very friendly and gave pretty appropriate care tips for the fish such as taking them home asap, changing the water at least once a week, and feeding very small amounts of food. 

They had a lot of different colors in the tanks to choose from instead of just the normal orange color so maybe people will feel that their individual fish they picked out is more unique and less just "run of the mill." It's probably a long shot, but perhaps that could encourage some people to take better care of their fish and do more research because they feel more attached to the fish they selected. 

That's pretty good! They don't have live animals as prizes here which Im glad about. Hopefully people will take better care of them. I still don't think fish should be carnival prizes though 

That's pretty good! They don't have live animals as prizes here which Im glad about. Hopefully people will take better care of them. I still don't think fish should be carnival prizes though 

I totally agree, I wish we were at a point where live animals were banned form being prizes and such. Our city recently passed an ordinance banning circus animals from preforming at our circuses so we might be getting closer! 

That's great! Is a step closer :)

When you need to explain goldfish care, use our guidelines.  You can print them out or provide a link to the page.  Information from an "authoritative source" always works better than that provided by a friend or relative.  

You might try to thank (ideally in writing) the people who awarded the fish for their efforts in improving the care of the fish.  Then you might suggest they provide information on goldfish care to those who win them.  You do know a source of such info.   :)

You got a cute shubunkin, and so did your dad.

When you need to explain goldfish care, use our guidelines. You can print them out or provide a link to the page. Information from an "authoritative source" always works better than that provided by a friend or relative.

You might try to thank (ideally in writing) the people who awarded the fish for their efforts in improving the care of the fish. Then you might suggest they provide information on goldfish care to those who win them. You do know a source of such info. :)

You got a cute shubunkin, and so did your dad.

Thanks for the great idea! I will look into that :)

I was wondering if he would be considered a shubunkin, so thank you for letting me know! They're probably my favorite single tail goldfish so I'm happy to have him. Maybe one day I'll be able to set up a little pond for him and a couple friends.

I really love the shubie your friend gave to you. Your dad's fish are really cute, too. Hopefully you two find a good resolution. :)

Cute Goldfish.

I have pretty cool news! Today I visited my dad's house for a while because I needed to grab a few things from him and then I ended up staying over for hours and talking a lot. His new fish tank is at the house because he hasn't moved it to the office yet so I got to see the fish first-hand. Unfortunately they're really not looking very good despite only being in the tank for abut 24 hours. We chatted about the fish for a while, how he won them, how he came to choose the tank he did, etc. Another surprise was a brand new tiny little common feeder goldfish that my dad purchased at the same time that he did the tank, so now his 5 gallon officially houses 5 goldfish, and 4 of them are a bit bigger than the average feeder sized goldfish. As we talked about his tank the conversation drifted towards my fish. My dad knows I have fish tanks but I don't think he's ever payed much attention to what I was saying when I was talking about them and he was really surprised to learn that I have a 60 gallon, a 29 gallon, a 20 gallon tank, a 10 gallon, and a 5 gallon... AND that I only housed a handful of fish across all of those tanks. A big revelation came about when he noticed that nearly all of his goldfish were sitting on the bottom with clamped fins looking pretty dreadful. He asked me if maybe they were just doing that because of what time in the day it was and I explained to him that actually my three goldfish at home in my 60 gallon are very active, alert, and practically never sit on the bottom like his fish were doing. Then came the BIG eureka moment when he said, "I suppose I have a bit too many goldfish for a tank this size." I agreed as politely as I could and tried to give him some gentle and easy to understand advice starting with recommending he purchase a bottle of Seachem Prime to do water changes with and advising him to feed just tiny bits of food at a time to keep the water cleaner. 

We talked a little bit more about my fish and I kind of told him that if his goldfish don't make it he should consider replacing them with a single male betta. He said, "don't bettas just lay around and not move much?" and then I got to explain to him all about how a heater in the tank and some good filtration would result in active and flashy betta fish. He seemed a little sad after out conversation and honestly it made me feel really sad seeing him like that so I'm not going to push the issue much more. I think he really realized that the he went way overboard with the goldfish and now they aren't likely to survive. I'll give it some more time and if the opportunity arises I think I will offer to setup a really nice looking 29 gallon tank in his office so he can keep a couple of the goldfish in proper conditions. 

It sucks talking about this type of stuff with your family guys! ): I don't want my dad to beat himself up over this and feel guilty and sad about the situation. He really does like all the little fish he has and even named a few of them. I really am hoping that I didn't hurt his feelings at all because that's the last thing in the world I want, but in the end he'll probably be happier to learn a few new things about caring for the little fish that he seems so fond of!

I think you did good hun. I would rather know the truth

I can tell you that when I got my feeder fish, knowing not a lot about keeping a fish properly, it was really overwhelming. There was a lot to take in, and it had to be taken in very quickly because I already had the fish! Probably your dad is feeling that way. It's hard to hear that what you thought you'd done right isn't quite adequate! But he's so lucky to have you to help him along. I have to tell you, it's really nice to have someone to ask for help!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

What a shame! The Fluval Chi is a lovely aquarium, but they are marketed all wrong... I've seen images of them with 5+ goldfish inside.

It would look very beautiful with a Betta. I made a post in the Betta fish section on the forum - I have a Fluval Spec V with my little dude in it. Maybe show him the potential it has with one fish and possibly a snail? Could even go with live plants! It'd be a really nice little oasis on a desk.

Good on you for saving Fairy. Gonna make some t-shirts that say "SAVE FAIRY"  :P

Yz8CgtN.png