Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
misssmountain

Fish I was paranoid about yesterday IS pineconing!

I'd have to see the pineconing first, if it is mild the kanaplex can be used, but if it is severe I'd only use oxytetracycline for gram negative coverage. Epsom is a solid choice though.

The random prickling is very odd in the way you're seeing it present. I agree with Koko that we need to take a look at your whole tank and filters. Something is amiss :(

You could treat your whole tank but the issue is not just the size but the bioload - there is a lot more bacteria, beneficial and otherwise, in the substrate and filters than in a hospital tank. That can make the medication less effective and thebtank much harder to keep clean as well. I'd prefer you just do morning and evening water changes on the ten gallon but it is your choice, you can certainly try it in the main tank if the cost of the medication isn't so much an issue as the time.

You'd still want to do every other day 100% water changes as your absolute minimum during treatment though, okay?

Edited by Arctic Mama

I'd have to see the pineconing first, if it is mild the kanaplex can be used, but if it is severe I'd only use oxytetracycline for gram negative coverage. Epsom is a solid choice though.

The random prickling is very odd in the way you're seeing it present. I agree with Koko that we need to take a look at your whole tank and filters. Something is amiss :(

You could treat your whole tank but the issue is not just the size but the bioload - there is a lot more bacteria, beneficial and otherwise, in the substrate and filters than in a hospital tank. That can make the medication less effective and thebtank much harder to keep clean as well. I'd prefer you just do morning and evening water changes on the ten gallon but it is your choice, you can certainly try it in the main tank if the cost of the medication isn't so much an issue as the time.

You'd still want to do every other day 100% water changes as your absolute minimum during treatment though, okay?

I would rather do water changes on the main tank as I can use the Python. The 10g I need to use buckets. I work as a bartender and recently threw out my back and it's not ideal for me to be lifting buckets twice a day. And I 100% don't have the time for it. At least while my tank drains and fills I can get other things done. I live alone so there's just no one to help me do the heavy lifting :(

Will post the photos later. Do you want to see like, the insides of the filters? Or just in general what they look like?

Full tank:

IMG_20161123_091222451_zpsn7qvxt2m.jpg

Canister Filter:

IMG_20161123_091238654_zpsgx0g513u.jpg

(white stuff is dried up salt from water evaporation when I previously had salt in my tank) 

Will post pics of the pineconers later on tonight. I've been selected to be on the jury of a 9-day trial and still have to work my evening shifts, so yeah, double water changes on the 10g are out of the question even more so now. Whatever we decide has to happen in the main tank.

One thing I would like you to do is get some Silver and put it in the main tank at some point. This will help clear out bad bio's in the filter and water :)

you can find it some on Amazon 50ppm min though the stronger the better :)

You're also going to need to clean your canister very well before starting treatment - no detritus in the bottom or pads, or as much as you can shake out without a cycle bump. Major substrate vacuuming too.

One thing I would like you to do is get some Silver and put it in the main tank at some point. This will help clear out bad bio's in the filter and water :)

you can find it some on Amazon 50ppm min though the stronger the better :)

I do have the silver already, I bought it last time I was having issues. It's 50ppm. I think last time we did 12 drops in my 60g?

Also here are the photos...honestly they're not as bad as I thought -- they look a lot more puffy and bloated than prickly and pineconed. I've barely been at my place for the last few days and I've been rushing around so maybe I just didn't get a good look?

This is Stormy -- I swear she looked worse a couple of days ago, which I guess is a good thing!:

IMG_20161123_185323727_zpslpjsgcv2.jpg

And this is Large Marge, she's only clamping her fins because she's mad about being in the bowl. She's a little bloated, and I think I see a tiny bit of prickling right behind the gills on the whiter scales (I know the part that is sticking out right in front is just from her gill covers/flaps, but I'm talking about the scales right behind those):

IMG_20161123_185451957_zpsgwwuta2g.jpg

Both are acting totally normal. I've added Epsom salt at 0.5 tsps per gallon.

Edited by misssmountain

Lets do the same thing.

I see the red fish does have two scales I can see that arent smooth. The other fish just kinda looks fat or egg bound. I would do Epsom salt for now hun. :)

Agreed - clean the system as specified above and run the silver, along with epsom. Let's just keep an eye on it while the metro is coming, I don't think this warrants meds yet.

They're looking a bit worse...red one is a bit more prickly and the blue one is rapidly turning white and just looks kinda swollen all around, including in the face. They're both a bit lethargic too.

Okay. Please repost your tank parameters and available medications, I know you have metro in transit. It could also be that they're not liking the silver in the system, so include that and your epsom dosage in the form details alright? I'm going to bed in my timezone but once we have all the information we can formulate a new plan for these two. Video of them from the side would also be helpful along with *any* behavioral changes, including darting, twitching, or rolling to one side when resting.

Okay. Please repost your tank parameters and available medications, I know you have metro in transit. It could also be that they're not liking the silver in the system, so include that and your epsom dosage in the form details alright? I'm going to bed in my timezone but once we have all the information we can formulate a new plan for these two. Video of them from the side would also be helpful along with *any* behavioral changes, including darting, twitching, or rolling to one side when resting.

Will get that to you tomorrow or Monday. Not to continue my sob story, but I've barely been at my house since last Sunday. And I have work tonight and tomorrow, and go back to court for day 3 of jury selection on Monday and straight to work from there. AND, the metroplex is stuck in the mail somewhere! It was out for delivery yesterday, but never arrived, and now the tracking says "delayed." So if metro is something we need I may not have that for another week now.

Will keep you posted. Either way I will be selling my tank in January, and rehoming the fish if I'm able to get them better. It's just gotten to be too much. I'm done :(

I'm sorry things are so busy, I have had months like that and just hate it.

You could try finding someone to rehome the fish with who is willing to treat them for you? Neither one seems like they are on death's door at present - maybe another boardie may be able to help?

So sorry to hear that. My BEST to you!!!

:grouphug

Thank you guys. The metroplex did arrive today so at least that's good.

And yes, I'm in Los Angeles if anyone is willing to help. I'm leaving town again in a few weeks so if they're not squared away by then I'm not sure what I'll do. I'll be gone for almost two weeks and was planning on having a friend check on them a few times.

We have some members there and in the surrounding counties - definitely start a thread about it!

We have some members there and in the surrounding counties - definitely start a thread about it!

Will do. Where is the appropriate place to start it?

Will do. Where is the appropriate place to start it?

You'll want the Buy/Give Away or Rehome section

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/forum/138-want-to-buy-giving-away-or-rehome/

I'm sorry :hug

Thanks all. I'll work on making a post tomorrow/Monday when I have time and I'll get updated photos anf stuff. I would love to rehome these fish (and the little cute white one who isn't showing any signs of illness) to someone who can nurse them back to health...not trying to pass my problems on to someone else, but at this point I can't say I really would want them back :(

I know my posts have sounded stressed, and believe me, I am, but I know it is time to move on from the hobby and feel at peace with that decision. I have learned so much and have truly enjoyed taking care of these guys, and have even felt the gratification of curing sick fish in QT. I did the best I could within my means and abilities, and I enjoyed it so much. Maybe I will pick it up again down the road, maybe not, but either way it was a great experience. If anyone in the LA/southern California area is interested in a great 60g cube tank setup with a canister, HOB, 2 LED light fixtures, Python water changer, and a whole ton of other stuff, please let me know or point any interested folks in my direction.

Hey guys,

They're really not looking good this morning :( I checked on them late last night when I got home from work, and they seem to have blown up overnight. They are still swimming and eating, but for now I think I am just going to keep them comfortable in the main tank, keep up with water changes, add the Epsom salt...and whatever happens, happens.

I have found someone locally to take the healthy fish, and who is also willing to take care of the sick ones if they are still with us by the time I leave in a couple of weeks.

:( :(

Hope they feel better.

That's great that you found someone! Do update your other thread to let people know. I will recommend the same schedule you would have done either way - did you ever have oxy or just kanaplex?

If you have oxy use that instead, otherwise we are dosing both kanaplex and metro for a two week course with daily water changes and light feeding, keep he temperature in the 76-78 degree range. Anyone caring for them should be doing this along with continuing the epsom dose.

Red/white is currently the size of a tennis ball :( The blue is not as bad, but still pineconed and not improving either. My bf is going to help me with clove oil tonight on the red/white, unsure on the blue. He's going to take a look and give me his opinion. Breaks my heart as they're still swimming up to me at the surface looking for food, but it's definitely time for the red/white... really wasn't expecting that to get so bad so quickly. I have turned the tank lights off as I can't even bear to look anymore.

The white fish is going to his new home on Saturday.

And after that, I guess it's done with fishkeeping for me.

I'm sorry! If it makes you feel better that sort of random dropsy that progresses quickly and severely is not usually the kind that responds well to meds. When it is a progressive symptom in a chain of others like water quality problems and external lesions it tends to be easier to rectify. Dropsy is tough at the best of times, even with no other stressors.

Don't count yourself out of fish keeping down the road - I went a good five years with no tanks because of life craziness and came back stronger for it. I also don't get as attached to stock as I used to ;). But life changes and sometimes the hobby can as well. Some have also found that switching to a less challenging species or a community tank can bring back the joy. Goldfish are an advanced/expert species to keep truly well, despite how common they are. They're tricky and sensitive, especially the more strain bred and refined fancies. Tanks are also less than ideal compared to ponds and that makes the job harder still, on top of their messiness. It's a lot!

Take a break and come back and say hi as you can. Kokos is always open and welcoming :).

Edited by Arctic Mama