Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
misssmountain

Fish I was paranoid about yesterday IS pineconing!

Sorry you lost Nacho. RIP Nacho. Glad Stormy is doing better!!!!

Yes, always two weeks on the metro. You can discontinue feeding the oxy at ten days out if the symptoms are gone and switch to duckweed or whatever pellet/soft food she likes, but the metro is a two weeks course.

Got it. At any point should I go down to one measure of metro, or stay at 2 measures the whole time?

Two measures per ten gallons the whole time :)

Hey guys,

Just checking in -- today was day 10, so as of right now I am going to discontinue the Oxytetra food. I discontinued Epsom salt a few days ago. I will of course finish up the Metroplex -- Thursday will be day 14.

She is looking MUCH better. I will post a photo from above tomorrow. But for now -- take a look. She has lost almost all of her black, and is now a silvery color with some brownish patches and a brown wen! WOW. I will miss her beautiful coloring from before, but she looks good now too! I wonder if she will continue this and go white? I can't imagine the black will return anytime soon...her face is pretty cute though -- now she has a brown wen with light grey pom poms!

IMG_20160822_015021699_zpsf8e14kac.jpg

IMG_20160822_015142834_zpslficnjgc.jpg

IMG_20160822_015056512_zpsmhhc4qw6.jpg

Edited by misssmountain

Great news! She does look beautiful and I expect will be white and orange in short order :)

Wow what a change!

Great news! She does look beautiful and I expect will be white and orange in short order :)

SO crazy!

I know they are always changing color, no matter how subtle it may look to us, and I know black is unstable. Is there anything about the medications that speeds up the process? Or is it just the process of relocating to a new, temporary environment? I'm so curious about the biology behind this.

Looking so much better :)

Yay! She looks much better. Here's to hoping this is a start of good things for you.

So pretty!

Alright, here is an updated shot from above. She's still on Metroplex until Thursday, and I was going to keep her separate for a few more days through the weekend. After that, what do you think? Can she go back in the main tank after next Monday's big water change???

IMG_20160822_174320229_zpsyqtri0wi.jpg

Yes she looks great. Just observe and pop her back in, Monday sounds like plenty of time to me for observation. Way to go!

That's a beautiful fish.  :thumbup2:

Yes she looks great. Just observe and pop her back in, Monday sounds like plenty of time to me for observation. Way to go!

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Just checking in with an updated photo, to see if it still looks good to put her back in the main tank on Monday :) Sorry for the crappy lighting in the pic, it's nighttime and my kitchen lights aren't fantastic. She's still in QT, but all meds have been finished. Should I add any regular salt to help boost her slime coat, or just stick with water and Prime?

Edit: by "regular salt" I obviously mean aquarium salt ;)

IMG_20160826_222946_zpsxwnsmqh5.jpg

Edited by misssmountain

WOW shes looking so much better hun :)

Hey all,

This fish appears to have relapsed :( I just got home from work and it's nearly 2am and I am exhausted...there really isn't much I can do tonight. But tomorrow I can do a QT for her. Should I do the same thing -- metro, oxytetracycline flakes, and epsom salt?

I'm sorry she has relapsed :(

I would be doing the same thing again. Metro, Oxy and Epsom is my usually go to for dropsy.

Since Taryl helped you last time she might have any extra advice on how to proceed

Edited by FishyMandy

I'd do the same thing again as well. This is a problem with dropsy - susceptible fish seem to encounter it again and again either due to a weak immune system, cumulative organ damage, or a combo of both. It's one of the things that makes it so hard to treat.

You could try just doing epsom and oxy alone at first and see if that helps things, or in combo with other medication. Additional meds can cause additional stress, but it could also knock back the dropsy faster. That's a tough call and really your choice. If you think this is slow moving and not severe I'd be inclined to try one med at a time, but if your fish really ballooned up badly and rapidly it might be better to hit it harder and faster.

Sorry to hear that. Hope she feels better.

Aw, that sucks! I hope he bounces back again :)

Hey guys,

So this one is in QT now, and I just noticed one of my other two in the main tank is prickly behind the gills.

WHAT is going on? Can I treat them both in the main tank? I realize that's a lot of metro meds to use for 60gal but my QT is only a 10g and way too small for both of them. If so, what should my treatment plan be for the 60g?

Honestly after this I think I'm going to be done with goldfish, and maybe my tank entirely. It's just not fun anymore if I'm having to set up a QT every 3 months. The joy is really lost on me now. I don't have time to do the form right now. I sat in jury selection all day at the courthouse then went straight to work a 6 hour shift. I'm back to jury duty tomorrow and I'm running a 5k race and of course have the holiday on Thursday where I'm meeting my new boyfriend's closest friends and then I go out of town on Friday. I hate to say this but the sick fish are kinda low on the priority list this week as I'm so overwhelmed.

Please just let me know how I can treat my 60g for now and I can provide the rest of the info when I have a second to breathe.

I'm so sorry. I can relate! Hang in there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hun can you do me a Fav. I need a photo or video of your tank. Even the filters. :)

Hun can you do me a Fav. I need a photo or video of your tank. Even the filters. :)

I can later tonight once I'm home. I tried doing it from my phone but i can't figure out how to use the IMG tag on mobile from photo bucket.

Also, I am out of metroplex. I ordered some on Sunday as soon as I noticed, but with the holiday, it won't arrive until Friday, and I will be out of town at that time so I won't be able to start meds until Saturday if we use metroplex. I do have kanaplex in the meantime if that would be better than nothing?