Kokos Goldfish Forum

I stumbled upon this you tube video. I like these "How It's Made" videos in general. This is about how goldfish are "made" or farmed in what I believe is Thailand. Keeping it real, I suppose.

Chris here... :yikes that was an education!!!

Wow - the lady at the beginning is just...

CHUNK, CHUNK, CHUNK. Not gentle at all. Yikes!

Now I see why fish are so stressed out when they get to the LFS.. WOW... The only thing they didnt really mention when they where talking about eggs was the male fish... It was just eggs eggs eggs some ppl might thing goldfish dont need the male :rofl

Wow!  Very informative.  Of course it was a short video, but they didn't mention any process for culling.

Didn't even mention how the eggs become fertilized... otherwise interesting.

Didn't even mention how the eggs become fertilized... otherwise interesting.

My point exactly... I know they only have so much time, but that seemed to be way to short in that spot :o

All they showed was the eggs in a bowl and then BOOM fry .... :Dont-Believe:

Yikes is right.

The "finished" aquariums at the end were also disturbing.  About 30 fish jammed into a ten gallon?  Uggh.  I'm not going back to check.  Not sure what is appealing there - the effect wasn't even pretty.

I think they showed a lady hand spawning 2 fish into the bowl but didn't exactly get deep into the specifics about that... LOL

Wow - the lady at the beginning is just...

CHUNK, CHUNK, CHUNK. Not gentle at all. Yikes!

I know! I had the same reaction!

Yikes is right.

The "finished" aquariums at the end were also disturbing. About 30 fish jammed into a ten gallon? Uggh. I'm not going back to check. Not sure what is appealing there - the effect wasn't even pretty.

Yeah. I didn't get the "finished" aquariums either. I wonder if they are just holding tanks for like "fish packs", special grade or breed or combos for sale. Dunno.

Also, the two in the bowl were pretty sorry/sickly looking... But then, they're in a bowl so...

Also he said "Like all fish, goldfish begin their life as eggs". Not all fish lay eggs.

Edited by mjfromga

Also, the two in the bowl were pretty sorry/sickly looking... But then, they're in a bowl so...

Also he said "Like all fish, goldfish begin their life as eggs". Not all fish lay eggs.

Oh you and your pesky facts :teehee

Here is another interesting video. Have to read the subtitles but a neat piece on goldfish breeding and Chinese cultural heritage. Extraordinary fish too.

This was neat! I've always wondered how "wholesale" of goldfish was done. Going to share this with my LFS co-workers.

EDIT: I've also been inspired to be the most caring and attentive goldfish breeder of all time!

Edited by Caretta Rose

Also, the two in the bowl were pretty sorry/sickly looking... But then, they're in a bowl so...Also he said "Like all fish, goldfish begin their life as eggs". Not all fish lay eggs.

Oh you and your pesky facts :teehee

Lol... Well if you're EXTREMELY technical, even we start out as eggs.

Here is another about Chinese breeding and also the decline in the numbers of Chinese farms. This is long but narrated in English with a few subtitles.