Fish Of Gold

I bought myself a birthday parakeet!

28 posts in this topic

I bought myself a Parakeet for my birthday that was on August 1st :teehee His name is Vincent whom I named after the character Vincent on the old TV show Beauty and the Beast, played by Ron Perlman with Linda Hamilton :P

beautyandbeast_1210443733_2621494.jpg

Here he is...Vincent! :wub:

102_7982%203.jpg

Vincent%20on%20swing.jpg

Vincent%20is%20a%20pretty%20bird.jpg

Vincent%20front%20view.jpg

Happy belated Birthday!!!! Vincent is GORGEOUS!!!!! I have 2 Parakeets and I just LOVE them!!!! They are so much fun!!!!

Edited by DawnMichele

Awwwwwwwwww! Thanks for the pics! He's precious little budgie :9

Btw... :happyb

AWWWW!!!!  :heart  :heart  :heart  Vincent is so adorable!!! I love his unique coloration.

Thank you! Yes I love his pretty coloring too :)

Happy belated Birthday!!!! Vincent is GORGEOUS!!!!! I have 2 Parakeets and I just LOVE them!!!! They are so much fun!!!!

Thank you!! Awww you have Parakeets too? What are their names? Are yours hand tamed? Mine isn't tame, seems he wants a friend though because he chirps so loud when he hears the wild birds outside at my bird feeders, otherwise he just pretty much just sits there, poor thing :(

Awwwwwwwwww! Thanks for the pics! He's precious little budgie :9

Btw... :happyb

Thank you and you're very welcome ;) He is a sweetheart :)

Yeah! More birdies, more birdies :wub:

I love the pastels.  So pretty.  Love his name too.

:teehee I remember that Show!

What a cute little budgie, gorgeous colours :wub:

Vincent is a super cutie! :D

:thumbup2:

He is beautiful. 

I totally want an indoor pet bird!   We have chickens (and chicks that come in at night for safety), but no avian *pets.*   Homesteading is a good excuse to enjoy some animals.   Even the goldfish started out as an aquaponics project - I was expecting they would lead to more tomatoes or lettuce. 

I used to take violin lessons from a woman with several pet birds (IIRC, all parakeets).   The all had cages, but I never saw the doors closed.  Mostly, they sat on top of their cages, or perched on top of her head during a lesson.  They are supposed to be vocal (?), but I don't remember any parakeet renditions of Bach out of the Suzuki books - they would have heard plenty of repetition!

Edited by Distaff

beautiful! Happy Birthday to you :)

Hope the new budgie is doing well.  Been watching a LOT of bird videos.  Always had a thing for green cheek conures, but research indicates that might be a poor choice for me.  Maybe a little too needy?  Looking at budgies and cockatiels (sp.? which apparently tend to get along together - always a good thing.)

We heat with wood.  One of the parrot videos says that is a no-no.  Haven't come across any other info on that.

Hope the new budgie is doing well.  Been watching a LOT of bird videos.  Always had a thing for green cheek conures, but research indicates that might be a poor choice for me.  Maybe a little too needy?  Looking at budgies and cockatiels (sp.? which apparently tend to get along together - always a good thing.)

We heat with wood.  One of the parrot videos says that is a no-no.  Haven't come across any other info on that.

Budgies are the best! I have never had a cockertiel, but they seem pretty cool too.

Not sure what the deal is with wood fires...maybe if its an open fire they could fly into it? too smokey? too drying? All these things seem to be fixable/avoidable

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:56 PM, Distaff said:

I'm guessing the wood fires would create smoke in the room? Unless the smoke is well contained and well ventilated to the outdoors? Might want to ask other people in a bird forum or group who own birds and use wood to heat their homes. Birds are very sensitive to smoke and other household odors like cooking fumes, Teflon coated cookware, waffle irons, clothes irons, air fresheners, scented candles, odors from cleaning chemicals, perfume etc. the list goes on. There are many things that can harm their delicate respiratory system. Since getting my birds I use my E6000 craft glue outside on the patio, and use my paint sets out there as well because of the fumes. You're not even supposed to use a sharpie pen or permanent marking pen in the same area as birds. Its easier in summer so I can have the windows and patio doors open to ventilate the house, but winter here is bitterly cold and can have the windows open of course so I have to be careful and ask myself "Will the use of this item hurt my birds?" I've joined bird groups and I ask them when in doubt, better safe than sorry.

I got another new Parakeet! I ended up getting Vincent a friend a couple of months later because he seemed so sad all alone, he wouldn't even play with his toys or eat his treats or anything. Just sat in the upper corner in front of the cage tugging hard at the bars and pacing back and forth every day and he didn't want none of my attention even though I tried to make friends with him and keep him company and entertain him. So I bought another male bird to be his friend I named him Mouse after another character in the TV show Beauty and the Beast. During quarantine of Mouse in the opposite side of the house, Vincent got so excited to hear another parakeet and was always answering Mouse's chirps with excitement. I couldn't wait until a month had passed to put Mouse in with Vincent, and when I finally was able to, they were instant friends! Now Vincent eats his treats because he sees Mouse eating them. Vincent even plays with his toys now when before he never even touched them at all. Vincent is a very happy bird now with his friend Mouse! :) 

New bird Mouse in the carrier I brought him home from the store in and the Character Mouse from Beauty and the Beast who he's named after ;) 

102_8535.JPG

917.jpg

Congrats on your second budgie :nana

I'm sure they both be very happy to have a buddy :D

do you know their genders?

Oh mouse is a sweety pie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aww! That is a very sweet story. I'm happy they have each other :D

19 hours ago, Flipper said:

Congrats on your second budgie :nana

I'm sure they both be very happy to have a buddy :D

do you know their genders?